Dealing with functions
02-01-2014, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 11:18 AM by Mickpc.)
Dealing with functions
I am trying to figure out how to plot a function that is held a solver Variable. If I store the said equation in, say, E1 I can then solve it. But when I want to plot the same function it needs to be in a different format for plotting.

What I am trying to do is store the equation in a program and then solve it and plot it, as well. Is there any trick to this?

For the solver I can use any combinations of variables I want, but when It comes to plotting, you cannot seem to set the dependent and independt variables for the plot.

Oh and as a random question is anyone working on an equation browser?

Mick C

HP_Prime_an_introduction

My ebook
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2014, 04:36 PM
RE: Dealing with functions
While in the SOLVE apps, hit Num and solve for the variable you want to plot as the independent variable (that field will stay highlighted - - this sets the independent variable). The dependent variable will be E1, E2, ... . Then hit plot and it should work.

You can plot any variable that you solve for by going back to the Solve Numeric view and highlighting a different variable(just make sure that before plotting, you solve for it again; you may have to adjust the scale, of course, if your variables have different magnitudes). You can also trace your function with the cursor keys.

I hope this covers what you were asking.
02-01-2014, 05:45 PM
(02-01-2014 11:00 AM)Mickpc Wrote:  What I am trying to do is store the equation in a program and then solve it and plot it, as well. Is there any trick to this?

Hi Mick,

Here is a simple example of how you can use an equation within a program and either plot it or solve it:

Code:

// Before running this program:
// -->  Create a copy of the Solve App
// (1) Start Apps
// (2) Select the "Solve" app
// (3) Tap on "Save"
// (4) Enter the name for the new app: "Solve_VelAcc"

EXPORT velacc()
BEGIN
 LOCAL var;

// Assign equation to variable E1
 Solve_VelAcc.E1 := "V^2=U^2+2*A*D";

// Start the "Solve_ValAcc" App with the symbolic view
 STARTAPP("Solve_VelAcc");
 STARTVIEW(0);

// Selection of the view
 CHOOSE(var, "Select View","Equation","Plot","Solve","Program Catalogue");

CASE 
  IF var == 1 THEN
   STARTVIEW(0); // Show equation E1
  END; 
  IF var == 2 THEN
   STARTVIEW(1); // Plot equation E1
  END;
  IF var == 3 THEN
   STARTVIEW(2); // Solve equation E1
  END;
  IF var == 4 THEN
   STARTVIEW(-7); // Back to the Program Catalogue
  END;
 END; // END CASE

END;

This is just a standalone program. It is much more elegant to implement this code within the created App and to define specific views to choose from.

Dominik
02-02-2014, 12:08 AM
(02-01-2014 04:36 PM)Helge Gabert Wrote:  While in the SOLVE apps, hit Num and solve for the variable you want to plot as the independent variable (that field will stay highlighted - - this sets the independent variable). The dependent variable will be E1, E2, ... . Then hit plot and it should work.

You can plot any variable that you solve for by going back to the Solve Numeric view and highlighting a different variable(just make sure that before plotting, you solve for it again; you may have to adjust the scale, of course, if your variables have different magnitudes). You can also trace your function with the cursor keys.

I hope this covers what you were asking.

That is what I needed, thank you everyone.

Kind Regards

Mick C

HP Prime a gentle introduction

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)