Windows USB Serial driver .INF
01-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Windows USB Serial driver .INF
(Crosspost from comp.sys.hp48)

I recently was digging around with my new HP 50g, and bemoaned the lack of Windows drivers for native serial over USB. It seemed rather silly that Mac OS and Linux could use it as a serial device, but there was no way to do the same over the basic USB cable.

After sniffing the USB packet information, and seeing it's basically just serial inside the USB protocol, I decided to try and force Windows to use the generic USB serial device drivers built into the OS. I didn't expect it to work, but it was worth a shot.

After a few hours of hitting my head, I lit on the magic combination. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6JAOG...zRMRGF5Zkk

Please note, flag -78 must be CLEAR to direct serial data to the USB port. Additionally, make sure -33 is clear, to transfer over USB and not IR.

I've had issues getting Conn4x to work with this configuration, but I can start the Kermit server with [RShift](hold)&[>] and transfer via Kermit with TeraTerm, so I'm fine with that.

This is only tested on Windows 10. No support. Try at your own risk. Not responsible for anything. But it works for me.

To install, drop that file into a folder by itself. You /may/ need to copy usbser.sys from C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ as well, and place that file next to the .inf above.

Go to the device manager, go to the Drivers tab, and click "Update Driver..."

Select browse manually, let me pick, have disk, and direct it to your folder you made above. It "should" install with that.

I personally am surprised I got it to work. If someone else gets it to work, even with bashing... Well, that's why I'm bothering to post this. Best of luck!

As a sidenote... Driver signatures will have to be disabled to install the bastardized driver. That said, the driver itself is from Microsoft, I'm just supplying the VID and PID of the calculator to tell Windows it's okay to install the usbser.sys driver for this device. What's unfortunate is if HP had the calculator saying it was Class 02 they'd not even had to write drivers at all...

-AL
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2022, 05:22 PM
RE: Windows USB Serial driver .INF
Hi, Could it be possible to have this .inf again?
or do i miss something when i read "bastarized driver. That said, the driver itself is from Microsoft, I'm just supplying the VID and PID of the calculator to tell Windows it's okay to install the usbser.sys driver for this device. What's unfortunate is if HP had the calculator saying it was Class 02 they'd not even had to write drivers at all..."
?
I want to have only a serial over usb access and use it with some tcl/tk programms
Thanks
08-07-2022, 08:26 AM
(07-13-2022 05:22 PM)Hp50gFr Wrote:  Hi, Could it be possible to have this .inf again?
or do i miss something when i read "bastarized driver. That said, the driver itself is from Microsoft, I'm just supplying the VID and PID of the calculator to tell Windows it's okay to install the usbser.sys driver for this device. What's unfortunate is if HP had the calculator saying it was Class 02 they'd not even had to write drivers at all..."
?
I want to have only a serial over usb access and use it with some tcl/tk programms
Thanks
Did you manage to get this working with a modified .inf file using hp50g VID&PID?
The download provided by the OP is permission protected and he hasn't been active here for some time.
08-07-2022, 12:58 PM
Right now, no luck. Next week i'm in holidays so i will try more again ...
And yes password protected deposit, that is why i was asking some help...
If i find something that work: i will post it in plain text!
08-07-2022, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2022 03:04 PM by AndiGer.)
I installed that driver here to use with Win10 and my lately acquired HP50G
https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7168
As I had problems when I executed the file and finally had the right idea I created an account to comment accordingly there. Be sure to read my comment :-).
Edit: To connect to the calculator I use conn4x downloaded from the same website.
08-08-2022, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the advice AndiGer !
But... the goal is to have a .inf driver without necessity to install anything, just use already windows included 'usbser.sys'. (of course it could be that i then can't use 'standard' HP connectivity kit with this only SerialToUsb .inf)
Looking at the provided link, it will install a HPx9G2k.sys and not use (directly) the usbser.sys.
I think newRPL is using right USB\VID and PID numbers to not have any driver being installed when connecting a HP50g to an USB port on a PC.
Another way to achieve this, would be to 'patch' an HP50G firmware with right USB/VID & PID numbers ?
I will try again the .inf way ...

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)