Missing shortcuts in Units Menus
01-27-2016, 10:51 AM
Missing shortcuts in Units Menus
Hello all, and especially Tim W.

I wonder why not all Units menus feature shortcuts (e.g. a number in top left corner of the cell), requiring the user to select via the tactile screen instead of the keyboard.
Prefix, Length and Volume menus do not have, whereas all others do. I miss this quite much, since it requires me to change the way I handle the calc in my hands to swap from the keyboard what I preferably use to the screen.

I guess that what follows has already been discussed, but I concur to say that having the calc "forgiving" the last menu the user was in is really annoying at the end when doing conversions. Any improvement in that field (as well as the above mentioned) would be much appreciated.

Version 2015 6 17 (8151)
Language : French.

Kind regards.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2016, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2016 09:56 PM by John Colvin.)
RE: Missing shortcuts in Units Menus
I agree. The Prefix, Length, Volume, and Energy sub-menus have no numbers associated with their cells, requiring extra key strokes to get to the desired unit (using cursor button) for those of us that don't like using touch screens. There doesn't seem to be any logical reason to omitting the numbers on these four units categories when the rest of them have the numbers in their sub-menu cells. Seems to be an oversight.
01-28-2016, 01:46 AM
(01-27-2016 09:55 PM)John Colvin Wrote:  I agree. The Prefix, Length, Volume, and Energy sub-menus have no numbers associated with their cells, requiring extra key strokes to get to the desired unit (using cursor button) for those of us that don't like using touch screens. There doesn't seem to be any logical reason to omitting the numbers on these four units categories when the rest of them have the numbers in their sub-menu cells. Seems to be an oversight.

There is actually logic to it. There are too many items in that menu to have a hotkey based on the defined limits.

The grid choosers allow up to a 4x4 grid in the same physical configuration as the chooser (so they visibly line up with the equivalent grid position). This gives you the block of keys defined by the 7 key, through to the + key.

The regular chooser uses 1-9, then A-N.

I suppose I could make the grid hotkeys show up for at least the first 4x4 grid, but I'm not sold on that idea yet.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
01-28-2016, 02:02 PM
I think it could work if when alpha is pressed, A-Z (or A-N, 1-9) become shortcuts on all grid-style menus.

A couple of things:
1) Does this make sense to anyone else?
2) Can the grid menu be dynamically re-shortcutted?

Thoughts?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)