HP 48g speedup
01-23-2016, 07:19 PM
HP 48g speedup
Is there any way to speed up the HP 48g from the keyboard?[/size][/font]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2016, 08:16 PM
RE: HP 48g speedup
No, sorry. You can use a fixed amount of numbers (e.G. "3 FIX") which will speed it up a little.

You might want to install metakernel, which speeds up most of the device VERY much. SpeedUI could be good too, but i never managed to set it up correctly, due to the extremely bad documentation on which of the 1000 files does what. metakernel is far easier.
01-23-2016, 08:39 PM
(01-23-2016 08:16 PM)damaltor Wrote:  No, sorry. You can use a fixed amount of numbers (e.G. "3 FIX") which will speed it up a little.

You might want to install metakernel, which speeds up most of the device VERY much. SpeedUI could be good too, but i never managed to set it up correctly, due to the extremely bad documentation on which of the 1000 files does what. metakernel is far easier.

Thanks so much for the advice. I will look into metakernal.
01-23-2016, 08:43 PM
(01-23-2016 08:16 PM)damaltor Wrote:  SpeedUI could be good too, but i never managed to set it up correctly, due to the extremely bad documentation on which of the 1000 files does what. metakernel is far easier.

AAAAAARGH!!! Raymond, quick, explain everything.

:D :)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-24-2016, 12:57 AM
(01-23-2016 08:16 PM)damaltor Wrote:  SpeedUI could be good too, but i never managed to set it up correctly, due to the extremely bad documentation on which of the 1000 files does what. metakernel is far easier.

SpeedUI is very good and very fast. The system is very modular by design, so it isn't necessarily intuitive to configure, but other than including a few small things that have been removed from the s/w, the documentation is, IMHO, quite good, especially the walk-thru which shows you what most of the features do. Do read all the (3 I think) included docs, it will help you decide which components to install.

If you are an experienced 48 user, I believe you'll have no trouble installing SpeedUI, and will immediately notice the dramatic improvement in overall performance.

I've never installed Metakernel (or maybe did so long ago I don't recall), so can't compare relative performance.

--Bob Prosperi
01-24-2016, 01:30 AM
Thanks a lot Bob. I'll take a look.

Best
01-24-2016, 10:56 AM
I read throuh all of them - but there are some filies which seem to be mutually exclusive, and i could not find any information on some of them. Still, the modularity of speedui is nice to have. as my 48G now has loads of memory i decided to no longer bother and simply use metakernel...

Is there anywhere a list for speedui which file does what, and what has to be installed in which order?
01-24-2016, 03:55 PM
(01-24-2016 10:56 AM)damaltor Wrote:  I read throuh all of them - but there are some filies which seem to be mutually exclusive, and i could not find any information on some of them.
Which files are missing in the docs?

(01-24-2016 10:56 AM)damaltor Wrote:  Is there anywhere a list for speedui which file does what, and what has to be installed in which order?
Did you take a look into ReadMe.txt ?
From there you'll be directed to StartHere.pdf , SpeedUI.pdf and MoreInfo.pdf .

The SpeedUI docs may not be best, but the vital info to get started is on the first page ("Quick Start") of StartHere.pdf , followed by a somewhat more detailed installation description on page 2.
Page 3 describes common configuration options, including all files which are needed for each option.

SpeedUI.pdf gives an overview of the functional and visual enhancements of the individual SpeedUI components. Not all components are covered there, but it should give you an idea.

MoreInfo.pdf offers technical info (Keywords, RAM, vars) as well as a description of most of the SpeedUI components.

-- Ray
01-24-2016, 04:30 PM
Well, it is not like i had no chance to bring it to work. also there are lots of documentation, i read all mentioned files. Still, the documentation is very chaotic and unsorted, i was missing a simple table of which library does what - and depends on what. The pdf files have a lot of info but the filenames of the libraries are scattered in it, and installing all of them at once does also not seem to be the right way.

I finally made it work, and i must say that i was pleased because it really is very fast - but i never managed to find out what files i really need and what they actually do. Some files were not mentioned at all as far as i remember.

What i really liked though is that there is still a somewhat active development - i noticed that the project had a new release not too long ago, which is not "standard" for an old project.

Also, speedui might be much better for the 48G (no X), because it takes much less ram - so as long as you dont upgrade the ram, the modular software might be the best choice anyway.

Metakernel on the other hand needs a ton of RAM, but is easily installed and works flawlessly then. there is no chance to install only parts of it though.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)