HP 41cv - surveyor needs help please
01-18-2016, 03:19 PM
HP 41cv - surveyor needs help please
Help! I'm a land surveyor, and I use my 41cv with survey module for traverse and curve solutions mostly. I just had to replace my batteries after 5 years - and lost my keys I had set to go right to Trav and curve programs. I have checked on line and all the instructions I see are past what I remember as to setting up these keys. I remember I had the Trav program set up where all I had to do was hit shift and the letter T - and I was in the program. For curves, it was shift and the letter R.
Can someone help me get my 41 cv back to where I can get this set up like it was before?
Many thanks, and my apologies for being a bit brain-dead about this today.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2016, 04:21 PM
RE: HP 41cv - surveyor needs help please
Maybe you just have to enable user mode...?
01-18-2016, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2016 04:34 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Assuming the routine is called:

LBL "T"

and that the module is not a key pad takeover module, that is it automatically assigns the keys when plugged in which case follow damaltors' advice, select USER mode by toggling the USER key.

If it is not automatically assigned and not accessible in USER mode then it must be manually assigned as follows:

-shift (f key) ASN (alpha toggle) "T" (alpha toggle) shift (f key) 9. This assigns the routine "T" to the shifted location on the "9" key.

-Toggle USER switch to USER and see the annunciation "USER". This activates USER key assignment keyboard.

Now the routine will be accessible with the key press 'f 9' as long as you are in the USER mode.

Google HP 41 manual and you will find one.

Geoff
01-18-2016, 04:49 PM
in user mode, I'm not getting into the program when I hit "shift T" - it brings up FS? _ _
and when I enter "shift R" - I get SF _ _ _
I'll keep looking - thanks.
01-18-2016, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2016 06:47 PM by Dieter.)
(01-18-2016 03:19 PM)Joe F Wrote:  I remember I had the Trav program set up where all I had to do was hit shift and the letter T - and I was in the program. For curves, it was shift and the letter R.
Can someone help me get my 41 cv back to where I can get this set up like it was before?

This is a matter of seconds. #-)

On the '41 you can assign any program to (almost) any key. After switching to USER mode (press the USER key so that the USER annunciator in the display comes on) you then only have to press that key. Either with or without pressing the yellow SHIFT key previously.

Make sure USER mode is on (take a look at the display). If now pressing SHIFT T executes the standard function "FS?" (you'll see the FS? _ _ prompt), the key assignment got lost and you just have to re-assign the program again.

All you have to know is the names of the traverse resp. curve programs. Since I do not have the surveying module at hand, it's up to you to find out the names of the programs. They can be found in the instruction manual. If for instance it says XEQ "TRAV" to execute the traverse program, "TRAV" is the name of that program.

Edit: I have loaded the HP41 surveying ROM into the V41 emulator. There are indeed two programs named "TRAV" and "CURVE". This might be what you are looking for. So it looks like these are actually the names of the two programs. You may try starting these programs with [XEQ] [ALPHA] TRAV [ALPHA] (resp. CURVE). Are these the programs you refer to?

Once you have the name you simply assign this program to the key you want. This is done with the assign function (ASN), the shifted function of the [XEQ] key. So if you want to start the program "TRAV" with SHIFT T, simply press

[SHIFT] [ASN] [ALPHA] T R A V [ALPHA]   => ASN TRAV _
Now press the key you want, e.g. [SHIFT] [T]   => ASN TRAV –54
Here "54" means row 5, key 4 (the "T" key) and the minus stands for SHIFT.

That's it. As already mentioned: you just have to know the name of the program you want to start with the respective key.

Once the assignment is done, [SHIFT] [T] starts the traverse program IN USER MODE (watch the USER annunciator in the display!). In standard mode (no USER symbol visible) the standard function FS? is executed.

Dieter
01-18-2016, 06:23 PM
thank you SO much - I have my traverse and curve programs assigned again - thank you SO much!!
01-18-2016, 06:42 PM
(01-18-2016 06:23 PM)Joe F Wrote:  thank you SO much - I have my traverse and curve programs assigned again - thank you SO much!!

Great – you're welcome.

Dieter

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)