I need help with using the 41CL
01-27-2014, 03:55 PM
I need help with using the 41CL
Hello all 41CL gurus!

I was enable to initialize my 41CL and set it to Turbo50 mode. SO far so good. What are the general instructions to load/access any of the modules (stat, math,games, etc.)? I am looking at the 41CL manual and I am at a loss. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Namir
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2014, 04:51 PM
RE: I need help with using the 41CL
http://systemyde.com/pdf/sy41cl.pdf

Page 16 Initial Config
Page 23 Turbo50
Page 23~28 Plug/Unplug

Systems Analyst
48G+/58C/85B/PC1500A
TH-78A/DooGee S9
Focal & All Basic´s
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Which version Namir.

The locations of the modules versus free space differ and therefore you need the correct CL manual to plot the locations. So if you want to, say, backup your program memory to free space you can ensure that you don't overwrite a plugin by mistake.

Cheers, Geoff

Be warned, once you start playing, and if you don't need graphics, you will be stuck in the CL bubble. It is a separate universe and escape is highly unlikely.
01-27-2014, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2014 05:48 PM by Namir.)
I am looking for examples for instructions to load various modules, like Games, Stat, Math, Advantage and so on.

I was able to successfully load the GAME module using PLUG1L using:

ALPHAGAMEALPHA XEQ ALPHAPLUG1LALPHA

I tried to load STAT and MATH using other PLUG commands like PLUG2L and PLUG1U, but I am getting a Nonexistent error message. What am I doing wrong?
01-27-2014, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2014 06:35 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Ooooooooops!

No biggy here but, PLUG 1L is reserved for the CL functions only. As soon as you plug another module into 1L you overwrite the YFNS or YFNZ functions resulting in your NONEXISTANT. That is, TURBO, plug and all the other functions are no longer resident.

So execute a memory lost, start over with 'initial software configuration' section of the CL manual.

Then use any port other then 1L to load games, aviation or ... Into.

Cheers, Geoff

PS. Happy new year
01-27-2014, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2014 07:40 PM by Ángel Martin.)
(01-27-2014 05:47 PM)Namir Wrote:  I was able to successfully load the GAME module using PLUG1L using:

ALPHAGAMEALPHA XEQ ALPHAPLUG1LALPHA

I tried to load STAT and MATH using other PLUG commands like PLUG2L and PLUG1U, but I am getting a Nonexistent error message. What am I doing wrong?

It's unlikely that the GAMEs module worked but the others didn't. Just make sure you have the ROM image mnemonic spelled correctly, and that the module size matches the PLUGxx function. That's all there's to it, really.

Edited after I saw Geoff's post:- yes that's probably what happened, you inadvertently wiped off the YFNS module (overwritten by the GAMES module) so all you PLUGxx functions were gone.
01-27-2014, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2014 06:58 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
By plugging the games module into IL You overwrote the YFNS image plugged into 1L thereby losing all the YFNS utilities.

Talk about a rookie mistake :-)

Just kidding Namir.

Here is a small routine that I wrote which plugs the modules that I use most when programming. You can see that 1L is never overwritten. I actually have a routine which will plug and unplug up to six different modules thereby automating the plugs depending on statistics, aviation, games, finances.

LBL PG
2. “CCDX”
3. PLUG1U
4. “PPCM”
5. PLUG2
6. "EXT-IL"
7. PLUG3L
8. "CLUTILS"
9. PLUG3U
10. RTN

Here is an expanded approach as a routine:

HP 41CL SAMPLE ROUTINE

PLUG UNPLUG .................... U-PG
Prompts for:
• F .................................... FUN
• W.................................... WORK
• U.................................... UPLUG ALL

1. LBL “U-PG”
2. SF 01
3. XEQ 62
4. “F W U”
5. AVIEW
6. GETKEY
7. GTO IND X
8. LBL 13
9. “TREK”
10. PLUG1U
11. “FUNS”
12. PLUG2
13. “GAME”
14. PLUG3
15. GTO 10
16. LBL 63
17. “AOSX”
18. PLUG1U
19. “PPCM”
20. PLUG2
21. “EXTI”
22. PLUG3L
23. “807-RAM”
24. PLUG3U
25. GTO 10
26. LBL 61
27. UPLUG1U
28. UPLUG2
29. UPLUG3
30. UPLUG4
31. FS?C 01
32. RTN
33. LBL 10
34. DONE
35. AVIEW
36. END

I have assigned this routine to a key resident in the memory. So if I want to play games I simply invoke U-PG, select the alpha key associated with the functions I need; F for fun, W for work or U to uplug all except YFNS at 1L. You can expand this routine to include many other roms such as P for programming...

Cheers
01-27-2014, 09:31 PM
(01-27-2014 06:35 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Ooooooooops!

No biggy here but, PLUG 1L is reserved for the CL functions only. As soon as you plug another module into 1L you overwrite the YFNS or YFNZ functions resulting in your NONEXISTANT. That is, TURBO, plug and all the other functions are no longer resident.

So execute a memory lost, start over with 'initial software configuration' section of the CL manual.

Then use any port other then 1L to load games, aviation or ... Into.

Cheers, Geoff

PS. Happy new year

Jeff,

So I happen to pick, by sheer chance, port 1L that nessed things up ... LOL.

I will reset the machine, re-initialize the 41CL MMU and thjen select another port.

Is my assumption correct that for small 4K modules I can load two of such modules in the lower and upper art of the same port (like PLUG2L and PLU2U for example)?
01-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Is there are separate link for the manuals related to each version of the CL board?

A beta manual? A V2 manual, V3, V4 ?
01-27-2014, 09:53 PM
(01-27-2014 09:32 PM)Gene Wrote:  Is there are separate link for the manuals related to each version of the CL board?

They all can use the YFNS set, which pretty much has been constant all along - with improvements. YFNP was an extension Monte did to add IMDB functions to the set, I believe around the V3 time.

Nothing beats reading the manuals, much better than my simplistic explanation I think.
01-28-2014, 07:47 PM
(01-27-2014 09:53 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  
(01-27-2014 09:32 PM)Gene Wrote:  Is there are separate link for the manuals related to each version of the CL board?

They all can use the YFNS set, which pretty much has been constant all along - with improvements. YFNP was an extension Monte did to add IMDB functions to the set, I believe around the V3 time.

Nothing beats reading the manuals, much better than my simplistic explanation I think.

Gene: Understood, but having separate PDFs for the different versions might help the user know what is loaded in flash and where for each version of the board, what limitations may apply, etc.
01-28-2014, 07:53 PM
(01-28-2014 07:47 PM)Gene Wrote:  
(01-27-2014 09:53 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  They all can use the YFNS set, which pretty much has been constant all along - with improvements. YFNP was an extension Monte did to add IMDB functions to the set, I believe around the V3 time.

Gene: Understood, but having separate PDFs for the different versions might help the user know what is loaded in flash and where for each version of the board, what limitations may apply, etc.

I've downloaded three or four different versions of the manual, but I think that Monte maybe could be place an archive on his site so that all the PDF 8the history of the CL) should be available.
01-30-2014, 01:56 AM
(01-27-2014 06:49 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  By plugging the games module into IL You overwrote the YFNS image plugged into 1L thereby losing all the YFNS utilities.

Talk about a rookie mistake :-)

Just kidding Namir.

Here is a small routine that I wrote which plugs the modules that I use most when programming. You can see that 1L is never overwritten. I actually have a routine which will plug and unplug up to six different modules thereby automating the plugs depending on statistics, aviation, games, finances.

LBL PG
2. “CCDX”
3. PLUG1U
4. “PPCM”
5. PLUG2
6. "EXT-IL"
7. PLUG3L
8. "CLUTILS"
9. PLUG3U
10. RTN

Here is an expanded approach as a routine:

HP 41CL SAMPLE ROUTINE

PLUG UNPLUG .................... U-PG
Prompts for:
• F .................................... FUN
• W.................................... WORK
• U.................................... UPLUG ALL

1. LBL “U-PG”
2. SF 01
3. XEQ 62
4. “F W U”
5. AVIEW
6. GETKEY
7. GTO IND X
8. LBL 13
9. “TREK”
10. PLUG1U
11. “FUNS”
12. PLUG2
13. “GAME”
14. PLUG3
15. GTO 10
16. LBL 63
17. “AOSX”
18. PLUG1U
19. “PPCM”
20. PLUG2
21. “EXTI”
22. PLUG3L
23. “807-RAM”
24. PLUG3U
25. GTO 10
26. LBL 61
27. UPLUG1U
28. UPLUG2
29. UPLUG3
30. UPLUG4
31. FS?C 01
32. RTN
33. LBL 10
34. DONE
35. AVIEW
36. END

I have assigned this routine to a key resident in the memory. So if I want to play games I simply invoke U-PG, select the alpha key associated with the functions I need; F for fun, W for work or U to uplug all except YFNS at 1L. You can expand this routine to include many other roms such as P for programming...

Cheers

Thank you Geoff for these programs. THet are a real eye opener for the various commands used with different modules. This is really the type of information I was looking for.

Namir
01-30-2014, 02:32 AM
Your welcome Namir,

The labels 13, 63 and 61 refer to get key corresponding to the letters F (fun), U (unplug) and W (work).

807-RAM was a module loaded from a Clonix into the RAM location 807 as a temperary method to test the functionality of the image.

Have Fun!
09-15-2021, 08:38 PM
I have nearly the same issue. Where is my mistake?
I have done the initial configuration from page 18 of the HP41CL manual, steps 1+2+3.
Afterwards I have typed:
alpha math alpha
xeq alpha plug1 alpha

I have tested the math modul with command sinh. It runs.

Afterwards I wanted to unplug the math modul with the command:
xeq alpha uplug1 alpha.

HP41CL shows : nonexistent.

I was not able to unplug the virtual math modul. It is still plugged in and I can see it in catalogue 2.

Does anybody knows how to unplug it?

Greetings
09-15-2021, 09:17 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2021 10:06 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
Hello Uli,

After a memory lost, the memory management unit (MMU) is disable and CAT 2 should show this:
Code:
-TIME  3B
-CL TIME
-YFNZ 4G
-EXT FCN 3B
-CL EXT FCN

Now, page 18 configuration assume the MMU is disabled (after a Memory Lost)
Code:
MMUCLR        // clear memory management unit
"YFNZ"        // 41CL Extra Functions module name in the 41CL module database
PLUG1L        // map module to port 1 lower page (aka page 8)
MMUEN         // enable MMU

At this point, excepted for a different page mapping, CAT 2 should show the same things as it was when the MMU was disabled.

Your error was after that, you should have used PLUG1U to map the math module to the upper page of port 1 (aka page 9) but instead you used the PORT1 command (page 8 and 9) and in effect unmapping the YFNZ module from PORT1L (aka page 8).
All the PLUG/UPLUG commands are part of the YFNZ ROM and since the ROM was unmapped they were no longer available.

This back door will allow you to disable the MMU and go back to your feet.
Code:
XEQ "YRES"

Now redo the initial configuration but this time map the math module to PORT1U or to another port.

Sylvain
09-16-2021, 12:30 PM
Hello Sylvain,

thanks a lot for your help and the explanation. Because of that I was not only able to fix my problem, but also to understand what I am doing.

I have followed your step by step instruction and everything works fine.

Thank you again!

Uli
09-18-2021, 01:05 PM
Namir, I assume you have a copy of the 41CL memory reference. That has all the 4-letter codes for the memory modules that are critical for use.

You can backup your 41C configuration to a flash page, but beware that some of the update tools will update all the pages, even ones that are supposed to be empty but that you have filled.

I love my 41CL but some of the "plug" functionality is frustrating:
  • Why can you plug a module into a page that already has one? That was the fundamental problem that Namir had. I would have preferred an error and the need to unplug the previous module first.
  • It's handy, and sometimes necessary, to specify where modules plug in, but I wish I didn't have to. I wish there was also a "PLUG" command that plugged the module into available port.
  • What's plugged in where? CAT2 tells me which modules are plugged in, but I don't know which ports they occupy. Combined with my first point, I have to remember what's plugged in where, or cross my fingers and hope that a newly plugged module doesn't replace one that's already there.
There are probably very good reasons why this functionality is missing, but it still hurts sometimes.
09-18-2021, 02:07 PM
(09-18-2021 01:05 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  What's plugged in where? CAT2 tells me which modules are plugged in, but I don't know which ports they occupy. Combined with my first point, I have to remember what's plugged in where, or cross my fingers and hope that a newly plugged module doesn't replace one that's already there.

With OSX3 plugged in (page 6 in my case) a CAT 0 G will list each page and their content. You can also do a CAT 8 thru F to list individual commands in an occupied user page. I have OSX3 in page 6 and WARP in page 7 because I consider them to be part of then base O/S!

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
09-18-2021, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2021 09:29 PM by Uli.)
(09-18-2021 01:05 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  I love my 41CL but some of the "plug" functionality is frustrating:
  • Why can you plug a module into a page that already has one? That was the fundamental problem that Namir had. I would have preferred an error and the need to unplug the previous module first.
  • It's handy, and sometimes necessary, to specify where modules plug in, but I wish I didn't have to. I wish there was also a "PLUG" command that plugged the module into available port.
  • What's plugged in where? CAT2 tells me which modules are plugged in, but I don't know which ports they occupy. Combined with my first point, I have to remember what's plugged in where, or cross my fingers and hope that a newly plugged module doesn't replace one that's already there.
There are probably very good reasons why this functionality is missing, but it still hurts sometimes.

Absolutely what I think, also.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)