Got a HP-41CV Half Nut as a early Christmas gift!
12-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Got a HP-41CV Half Nut as a early Christmas gift!
After returning home from shopping, I had a small package at my desk left by my wife.

I eager opened it and found this fantastic good looking machine inside.
It is in need of a good cleaning, but cosmetically it is free of scraps or dents.

It is my early Christmas gift, she said.
Then she asked me if I wouldn't mind if she put my gift by the Christmas tree to be opened at the proper moment.
You bet I do mind! No way I can wait to have a look on this beauty.

As far as I can tell, the machine is in good working order, despite I didn't run a extensive testing.
By the way, is there any program freely available that we can load to test the machine?

The battery compartment and cover are in mint condition.
I would say it was never serviced or even cleaned from some dirt visible on the outside body.

Although, not all is perfect.
The card reader suffers from the usual gummy wheel syndrome.
I tried to read one of my blank cards and it came out dirty from the gummy wheel.
Guess I will have a job to do first thing next year, after my holidays.

[Image: hp-41cv_hn_001.jpg] [Image: hp-41cv_hn_002.jpg] [Image: hp-41cv_hn_003.jpg]

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2015, 05:23 PM
RE: Got a HP-41CV Half Nut as a early Christmas gift!
(12-21-2015 04:52 PM)jebem Wrote:  It is my early Christmas gift, she said.

Congratulations on having an excellent wife Jose!!

And on a nice Christmas Present as well. Battery contacts look virtually new.

Have fun cleaning this great addition - a first Hp-41C is reason for serious celebration!

--Bob Prosperi
12-21-2015, 05:27 PM
Very nice! Looks like it was well cared for. One can never have enough 41Cs, at least that's what I keep telling myself. ;-)
12-21-2015, 05:44 PM
My wife never gave me such a gift... you're a lucky man, ;)

When you'll have some twenty+ 41C* you will start asking yourself "why?". But you will go on collecting them, eventually.

Merry Christmas!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-21-2015, 05:57 PM
Thank you all for your encouraging words!

This is my first 41 machine, ever.
Despite being more powerful than my previous 25C and 67 from school times, I feel like I'm at home with it, as it looks very familiar to me.

But I really have to stop buying machines for at least the next four or so weeks, or else I guess that I will be in more serious trouble with my wife and my Bank account manager.
Now, let me have a brief look on that intriguing Texas ti-74 Basicalc bargain I saw the other day in this local auction site...

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

12-21-2015, 06:11 PM
Parabems, Jose!

But take care, collecting is caused by a mean virus. Define the limits of your collection early and (try to) stick to them - else you'll run into trouble, mais o menos.

d:-)
12-21-2015, 06:30 PM
(12-21-2015 04:52 PM)jebem Wrote:  By the way, is there any program freely available that we can load to test the machine?

Since you'll be repairing the card reader, a Clonix/NoV module from Diego can emulate the 41 serivce ROM's which include the card reader diagnostics.

Don't forget to get an HP-41 Archive DVD to go along with the MoHPC and PPC DVD's.

Dave
12-21-2015, 07:03 PM
(12-21-2015 06:30 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 04:52 PM)jebem Wrote:  By the way, is there any program freely available that we can load to test the machine?

Don't forget to get an HP-41 Archive DVD to go along with the MoHPC and PPC DVD's.

Dave

TOS's DVD is showing "UNAVAILABLE." Does anyone know when they will be available?
12-21-2015, 07:07 PM
(12-21-2015 07:03 PM)quantalume Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 06:30 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Don't forget to get an HP-41 Archive DVD to go along with the MoHPC and PPC DVD's.

Dave

TOS's DVD is showing "UNAVAILABLE." Does anyone know when they will be available?

Yes, Warren.

:D sorry...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-21-2015, 08:17 PM
(12-21-2015 07:07 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 07:03 PM)quantalume Wrote:  TOS's DVD is showing "UNAVAILABLE." Does anyone know when they will be available?

Yes, Warren.

Big Grin sorry...

As Massimo indicates the best bet would be to Contact Warren by email. That said, the only times I've seen this in the past few years was when new DVDs were being prepared, so no need to make more of the old ones. Let's hope that is the case here... a nice Christmas Present as well.

--Bob Prosperi
12-21-2015, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2015 09:05 PM by wojtek.)
Half/full nut?
BTW What do you more exactly mean by "half nut"? Is there a term "full nut" as well? Or mayby "quarter nut" ? I cannot pretend more that I understand it :-)
Allowing for my bad English I would say that half nut = half mad :-) but maybe it is some technical jargon?
12-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Please look here in the museum you're visiting and scroll down until HP-41C.

12-21-2015, 10:16 PM
The halfnut was basically a redesign that took effect sometime in late 1984 to reduce the number of boards, components and interconnects. In general, they are probably more reliable than the fullnuts. I have a fullnut CV that I ended up having to hardwire the two boards together in order to salvage.

On the other hand, there might be a couple of downsides to the halfnut design. For one, they are not suitable candidates for Monte Dalrymple's 41CL upgrade. Also, some folks consider the display contrast to be better in the fullnut, but I've seen certain late-model halfnuts with better displays than certain fullnuts. YMMV

David
12-21-2015, 10:35 PM
(12-21-2015 05:57 PM)jebem Wrote:  But I really have to stop buying machines for at least the next four or so weeks, or else I guess that I will be in more serious trouble with my wife and my Bank account manager.

There are so many things to discover with an HP-41 that you're busy for many many weeks. Therefore, no need to buy other calculators.

And, speaking from my experience, your wife will get used to see more and more calculators on your desk. During the first period, she will look at you with a questioning look, and at some point, she will just sigh when another calculator arrives ;-)

Enjoy your nice HP-41!
12-21-2015, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2015 11:12 PM by jebem.)
(12-21-2015 06:30 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  

Since you'll be repairing the card reader, a Clonix/NoV module from Diego can emulate the 41 serivce ROM's which include the card reader diagnostics.

Dave

Thank you, Dave!
I will have a look on your good recommendations after returning from holidays.
The TOS doc set is definitely on my shortlist.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

12-21-2015, 11:01 PM
(12-21-2015 06:11 PM)walter b Wrote:  Parabems, Jose!

But take care, collecting is caused by a mean virus. Define the limits of your collection early and (try to) stick to them - else you'll run into trouble, mais o menos.

Indeed I'm in deep trouble as this hobby is terribly addictive.

I only went for it because I had to stop my previous radio collection hobby!
Can you believe that I started by selling all my vintage hp and sinclair calculators to make money to buy radios?
And now I have these two hobbies to deal with...

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

12-21-2015, 11:10 PM
(12-21-2015 10:35 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  And, speaking from my experience, your wife will get used to see more and more calculators on your desk. During the first period, she will look at you with a questioning look, and at some point, she will just sigh when another calculator arrives ;-)

Enjoy your nice HP-41!

I hope you are right on that, but I think she is like a cat - I never know what her next move will be.
As I have done so many times before, as a protective measure I just keep buying expensive gifts like exotic Brazilan cosmetics and watches.
This apparenly is working so far, but again, I will never know because she is so much brighter than me.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

12-22-2015, 02:11 AM
I agree, anyone just getting their first HP41 doesn't need any more calculators for a while.

Concentrate on getting accessories !!!!!!!!!!!

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80
12-22-2015, 03:46 AM
(12-22-2015 02:11 AM)TASP Wrote:  I agree, anyone just getting their first HP41 doesn't need any more calculators for a while.

Concentrate on getting accessories !!!!!!!!!!!

Agree with all the above comments - jumping in to an HP-41 will keep you very satisfied for a very long time. No other calculator ever had so many programs, options, peripherals, newsletters, etc.

Although a 41CL is certainly the ultimate upgrade, I agree with Dave's advice - I'd say get a NoV-64d module from Diego. It lets you access every module ever made, simulate RAM of HEPAX and MLDL; basically everything the 41C can do, excepting HP-IL (another dimension).

One of the first things to do is learn Synthetics using Bill Wickes' Green Book (it's in the MoHPC USB drive). I still recall with great fondness the day I got and devoured this book with 41 in-hand.

You're in for a treat Jose.

--Bob Prosperi
12-22-2015, 04:14 AM
Don't forget the 3468 multimeter. Even if you don't need one, just an uber cool thing to have.

And here are some more 'must haves':

video interface
wand
82143 printer and an 82162 printer
card reader (and lotsa cards !!!)

the 82166 battery charger is an odd little critter too

Time module ++good
They are scarce, but an Xfunction, double Xmemory combo module is fantastic
Don't plan on using it, but an HPIL cassette drive is a nice conversation piece
wouldn't hurt to look through old EduCALC catalogs and really work up a lather about getting stuff, more stuff, and then some more stuff after that.

Wink

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)