derivative of sum gets merged - how to avoid?
12-19-2015, 08:16 PM
derivative of sum gets merged - how to avoid?
Derivative of ((3x-2)^7)/21 + (4-1/(2x^2))^(-1). The result given by HP Prime and the 50g are technically correct but not very neat since they're brought to a common denominator and you cannot do much with it afterwards. Also rather large and difficult to read; and it won't factor out afterwards.

In comparison, TI-nspire CAS delivers (3x-2)^6-(4x)/((8x^2-1)^2), which is much more readable, so does TI-89 Titanium and TI-92. Thomas gives (3x-2)^6-1/((x^3)*(4-1/(2*x^2))^2), so essentially identical, though I don't think I like the form of writing it as a complex fraction. Casio's Classpad II (emu) gives a similarly massive expression as the HPs do.

Mathematica 10 gives the complex fraction form first, and the simple fraction form after a Simplify[]. WolframAlpha gives a single fraction form result. Maple 18 gives a result identical to that of Thomas, and is not easily willing to go to a simple fraction form. Matlab R2015a and MuPAD give the complex fraction too, though with signs swapped in the square. Maxima's output is identical to that of Thomas.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2015, 04:43 AM
RE: derivative of sum gets merged - how to avoid?
A similar case is to be seen when deriving the expression (5-2x)^(-3)+((2/x+1)^4)/8. The results provided by both HP 50g and HP Prime are bulky.

TI-nspire CAS gives 6/(2x-5)^4-(x^3+6x^2+12x+8)/x^5, so it still doesn't play fully nice with the second expression, and inverts the signs for the denominator of the first term (not that it matters), where Thomas gives the form ((2/x+1)^3)/x^2 instead. Same with the TI-89 Titanium and TI-92. The Casio Classpad II (emu) gives a bulky result like the HPs due to the common denominator.

Mathematica delivers the complex fraction form result first, a Simplify[] gives the probably neatest rewrite 6/(5-2x)^4-((2+x)^3)/(x^5); WolframAlpha gives this second one right away. Maxima, Maple, Matlab and MuPAD results are identical to that of Thomas.
12-20-2015, 01:44 PM
I tried with Derive 6. It returns

Code:

4·x             6         5         4         3         2             
- ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ + 729·x  - 2916·x  + 4860·x  - 4320·x  + 2160·x  - 576·x + 64
       2     2                                                               
   (8·x  - 1)

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
12-20-2015, 02:19 PM
That looks a little unpleasant, Mr. von Cube... I do know that some version of Derive is supposed to be the basis of the CAS on the TI-89 and 92. I'm not sure which version and not sure if TI's engineers didn't put their own little tweaks in there afterwards.
12-20-2015, 02:35 PM
a:=((3x-2)^7)/21 + (4-1/(2x^2))^(-1) followed by a' or diff(a,x) will return a non simplified derivative.
propfrac can be used to take the integer part + a proper fraction if the result has already been rewritten as a single fraction (with the derivative template of the Prime). Unfortunately, there is no EQW on the Prime, you can not factor the denominator of the proper fraction with a few keystrokes.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)