02-19-2018, 05:54 PM
RE: The DM41L is here!
Learn something new every day!

Now I need to read the manual. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Has anyone tried synthetic programming with the DM 41(L)? I have zero experience with synthetic programming and curious.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-23-2018, 02:32 PM
My review of the DM 41L: https://edspi31415.blogspot.com/2018/02/...dm41l.html

In short, I love it.
02-23-2018, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2018 02:44 PM by grsbanks.)
Hi Eddie,

Quote:The cord used is a mini USB-RS232 cord

Err... No it isn't... It's a standard USB to miniUSB cable. There's no DB9 connector on it Smile
02-23-2018, 10:24 PM
(02-23-2018 02:43 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  Hi Eddie,

Quote:The cord used is a mini USB-RS232 cord

Err... No it isn't... It's a standard USB to miniUSB cable. There's no DB9 connector on it Smile

Hm, is the DB9 even part of the standard? Or for that matter, the big brother (DB25)?

(Post 182)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
02-23-2018, 10:44 PM
(02-23-2018 10:24 PM)brickviking Wrote:  
(02-23-2018 02:43 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  Hi Eddie,

Hm, is the DB9 even part of the standard? Or for that matter, the big brother (DB25)?

(Post 182)

The DB25 is part of the official standard (de jure) but DB9 is not although it has been standardized in a generally accepted way (de facto).

Tom L
Cui bono?
03-30-2018, 02:14 AM
Given what is going on with the DM42:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10335.html

I am considering removing my review for the DM41L from my blog. Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
03-30-2018, 02:30 AM
(03-30-2018 02:14 AM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  Given what is going on with the DM42:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10335.html

I am considering removing my review for the DM41L from my blog. Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

I'd treat the DM42 debacle as an aberration rather than the rule. SwissMicros calculators are still of high quality and I don't believe you should penalize the DM41L for it. An objective reviewer reviews the product in a vacuum regardless of the actions of the manufacturer. Does the product do what it's supposed to? Is it well made? How does it compare to other similar products?

Please don't get all PC on us and refuse to treat the products objectively just because you don't like the manufacturers. No products from Microsoft, Apple, and many others would be reviewed if reviewers judged the companies rather than the products. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Tom L
Cui bono?
03-30-2018, 02:59 AM
(03-30-2018 02:14 AM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

I agree with Tom. What you wrote was true then, and it's true now.

Further, SM's track record has been excellent for years, and we hope this latest issue will be resolved favorably. If it's not, you could always do so later, if justified, but hopefully it will not come to that.

Not supporting them with another purchase until they satisfy your standards of conduct may make sense (this is very much a personal opinion), but removing prior positive comments about SM and their products seems unjustified, at least to me.

--Bob Prosperi
03-30-2018, 05:14 AM
(03-30-2018 02:59 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(03-30-2018 02:14 AM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

I agree with Tom. What you wrote was true then, and it's true now.

Further, SM's track record has been excellent for years, and we hope this latest issue will be resolved favorably. If it's not, you could always do so later, if justified, but hopefully it will not come to that.

Not supporting them with another purchase until they satisfy your standards of conduct may make sense (this is very much a personal opinion), but removing prior positive comments about SM and their products seems unjustified, at least to me.

I agree with Bob - and consequently with Tom. While I understand the nature of the complaints being made, it's also a tad surprising the zeal shown by multiple parties by the strict allegiance to the so-called open code - as if they had a vested interest and were being taken advantage of.

I've been sharing my MCODE and other programs for over two decades so I get it. Yet this reaction feels strange. I haven't seen or read any statements by Thomas O. that others have referred to (?) so as long as that's not a problem with him I don't have any issues either.
03-30-2018, 01:07 PM
Good. I really don't want to take down the review for a very solid product. Thank you Tom, Bob, and Angel.
03-30-2018, 01:35 PM
(03-30-2018 05:14 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  I agree with Bob - and consequently with Tom. While I understand the nature of the complaints being made, it's also a tad surprising the zeal shown by multiple parties by the strict allegiance to the so-called open code - as if they had a vested interest and were being taken advantage of.

I've been sharing my MCODE and other programs for over two decades so I get it. Yet this reaction feels strange. I haven't seen or read any statements by Thomas O. that others have referred to (?) so as long as that's not a problem with him I don't have any issues either.

Sorry Ángel,
I think you misunderstand what the GPL is about. It is not just a matter between the originator of the software (Thomas) and the violator(SM). It is a matter between SM and their customers (us) because they denied us our right to have access to the full source code. This prevents interested parties from building their own versions of Free42 to run on the DM42. The zeal you mention is in place to protect our own rights.

Having said that, it seems as if SM is going to change their attitude on this issue. If that's the case the zeal would be justified.
Günter
03-30-2018, 04:49 PM
GPL is a licence based on an ideology. It is the belief that everyone has the right to have the source code to all the programs they are using.

Some people think it is about free software, as in no cost, which is wrong.

Some think it is about stopping others from making money from their work, that is also wrong.

People should think a bit before they put a GPL license on their work. What am I afraid of, what do I want to accomplish with it?

Thomas clearly understands GPL and its intention, that is why he uses it. SM denies a lot of people their rights under GPL, most likely without really understanding it. Being in the software business, I take serious on these matters.

Having said that, I stopped using GPL myself years ago as I do not believe in it, and I think it is causing more harm than good. I release my open source project with a BSD license and what SM does is legal with such license. For my own open source projects, I am fine with that.

I also believe SM has a lot to gain from openness with their platform, but that is an unrelated (but also important) matter.

Håkan
04-03-2018, 06:42 PM
(02-23-2018 01:42 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  Has anyone tried synthetic programming with the DM 41(L)? I have zero experience with synthetic programming and curious.

Hi,

For what it is worth, HPCC's Datafile Vol. 35 No. 3 p14 has an article by Geoff Quickfall titled "Synthetics and the DM41L: Load Bytes". He includes the hex dump for the LB program.

Jake
04-03-2018, 06:47 PM
(02-23-2018 01:42 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  Has anyone tried synthetic programming with the DM 41(L)? I have zero experience with synthetic programming and curious.

Hi,

For what it is worth, HPCC's Datafile Vol 35 No. 3 P14 (July-Sept 2016) has an article by Geoff Quickfall titled "Synthetics and the DM41L: Load Bytes", including the hex dump for the LB program.

Jake

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)