Request to move a thread
11-23-2015, 06:44 PM
Request to move a thread
I think this this thread falls under the 'Not quite HP Calculators - but related' category.

Thank you.

Marcio
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2015, 08:30 PM
RE: Request to move a thread
Suggestion: Perhaps one of the moderators could combine all these specific "thread move request" threads into a single sticky thread in order to reduce clutter? ;-)

(Even better if users would post in the correct sub-forum right from the start, but the fact that quite many threads get posted in "wrong" categories might indicate that the structure isn't perfectly intuitive and could need some further tweaking... Of course, it could also indicate some lack of care on the users' side... ;-)

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
11-23-2015, 08:45 PM
(11-23-2015 08:30 PM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  Suggestion: Perhaps one of the moderators could combine all these specific "thread move request" threads into a single sticky thread in order to reduce clutter? ;-)

(Even better if users would post in the correct sub-forum right from the start, but the fact that quite many threads get posted in "wrong" categories might indicate that the structure isn't perfectly intuitive and could need some further tweaking... Of course, it could also indicate some lack of care on the users' side... ;-)

Greetings,

Matthias

One of the most common causes is that one cannot reply to items posted in the Articles Forum (after all, they are articles, not forum posts, or so goes the logic) which leads to requests to move the original article, replies in other forums areas, etc.

But I agree, more care, and an understanding of what should go where, would help minimize these. That said, some topics, such as a 3rd-party emulator of an HP Calc could arguably belong in several places.

Adding add'l sub-fora has been suggested numerous times, but the over-riding sentiment is that this divides the readership, and we wish to remain a tighter community. It seems to me that users of this Forum could see past that, but then I always look on the positive side....

--Bob Prosperi
11-24-2015, 05:44 PM
(11-23-2015 08:30 PM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  Suggestion: Perhaps one of the moderators could combine all these specific "thread move request" threads into a single sticky thread in order to reduce clutter? ;-)

I just "Report" (see below) those threads with a (very short) note and the moderators are alerted and can take action if they decide to do so. No clutter and no public noise...

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
11-24-2015, 05:48 PM
I did report the thread and added a short note but apparently the moderators have decided to leave it where it is now.
11-25-2015, 04:09 AM
(11-24-2015 05:48 PM)Marcio Wrote:  I did report the thread and added a short note but apparently the moderators have decided to leave it where it is now.

Hmmm, I never saw the report and can't find it now. Anyway, this is a tough call since you posted about HP's version of the emulator so the bug might relate to a bug in a physical calculator, however unlikely. There are a lot of difficult calls ever since we moved to this new structure.

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-25-2015, 07:58 AM
(11-24-2015 05:48 PM)Marcio Wrote:  I did report the thread and added a short note but apparently the moderators have decided to leave it where it is now.
I didn't see it either. I always respond to reports in a PM, whether I do it or decide to leave the decision to Katie & Dave.
11-25-2015, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2015 09:01 AM by Marcio.)
(11-25-2015 04:09 AM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  ... you posted about HP's version of the emulator so the bug might relate to a bug in a physical calculator, however unlikely.

I don't think the LE has this silly bug. The Windows emulator, also by HP, doesn't.

Anyway, I would have moved the thread.

Marcio
12-23-2015, 09:42 AM
I think this this thread falls under the 'Not quite HP Calculators - but related' category.

Thanks in advance

d:-)
12-23-2015, 11:59 AM
(12-23-2015 09:42 AM)walter b Wrote:  I think this this thread falls under the 'Not quite HP Calculators - but related' category.

Thanks in advance

And this one to "not remotely..." :p

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
12-23-2015, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2015 04:29 PM by d b.)
(12-23-2015 09:42 AM)walter b Wrote:  I think this this thread falls under the 'Not quite HP Calculators - but related' category.
Thanks in advance
Walter;
We had another suggestion this week, from a valued member using the Report button, to move that post. I agreed with the reasoning but the post has been there for over three months and has 145 replies so far, with the last couple being just three days ago. Why fiddle with it? People know where to find it. If the O.P. wants it moved then we'll of course do it.
---------------------------------------------
Massimo;
You're right. Done.
12-23-2015, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2015 05:27 PM by d b.)
While we're at it, why not move this one too?

<<<< Moderators Note: done >>>>
12-23-2015, 05:28 PM
Ok, Massimo, it's your turn. Smile

P.S.: The subject of the target forum reads:
Quote:This is place to discuss emulators, simulators, third party firmware like WP34s, and non-HP RPN calculators.
Quite fitting IMHO.
12-23-2015, 09:16 PM
(12-23-2015 04:25 PM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  
Thanks in advance
Walter;
We had another suggestion this week, from a valued member using the Report button, to move that post. I agreed with the reasoning but the post has been there for over three months and has 145 replies so far, with the last couple being just three days ago. Why fiddle with it? People know where to find it. If the O.P. wants it moved then we'll of course do it.
---------------------------------------------
Massimo;
You're right. Done.

Oh well, I must admit that soon after posting it I wondered if that was the right place, but I thought that many could be interested since there are so few 15C or 15C LE left around...

That said I do not really care where it is placed but I concur with the reasoning that it's there since a long time, and many people left their replies and maybe expect to find them there.

I leave it to the admins: whatever their choice it's fine with me. Smile

Merry Christmas!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)