RPN re-purpose of LCD calculator?
11-11-2015, 05:59 PM
RPN re-purpose of LCD calculator?
Ever since my own threads on landscape formatting an alphanumeric RPN calculator, it has been a pet idea of mine that an algebraic LCD calculator might be merely tricked or repurposed outright so that it operates in RPN. Besides, algebraic LCD calculators have, in effect, have been produced that use ENTER/RETURN/EXE as a label swap or co-label for = as long as the LCD has been the standard display technology for calculators (scroll to the Pocket/Portable Computers section of http://www.rskey.org/CMS/index.php/minor...blog&id=10 for a list of early algebraic calculators which swap RETURN for =), so there are some which invite an RPN repurpose as designed. Of course, anything before the Casio fx-6000G of 1985 is not, strictly speaking, a calculator, but rather a portable version of a full-fledged personal computer (in a limited sense at least). Given that algebraic LCD calculators already exist which specifically have the = key (co-)labeled ENTER (the HP 9g can even type an equals sign by ALPHA+ENTER), has anybody else conceived of RPN repurposing one of these?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2015, 06:55 PM
RE: RPN re-purpose of LCD calculator?
Re-purposing depends on a few details:

1. Can the case be opened and closed without damage?
  2. Has the processor a means of being re-flashed?
  3. Or can the keyboard be reused and the processor replaced instead?
  4. Is the hardware sufficiently well documented?

Most cheap devices are sealed, the chip is under a blob, and the keyboard is on the backside of the main board.

I'd say: The 30b was an exception!

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
11-13-2015, 09:45 AM
(11-11-2015 06:55 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  I'd say: The 30b was an exception!

Newer 12Cs have also a programming interface and as far as I know HP offered even a development kit for its basic functionality. Is this another exception? Did anybody try to make an 15C/16C from a 12C?

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
11-13-2015, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2015 11:36 AM by Vtile.)
(11-13-2015 09:45 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  

Newer 12Cs have also a programming interface and as far as I know HP offered even a development kit for its basic functionality. Is this another exception? Did anybody try to make an 15C/16C from a 12C?

Bernhard
I think I have seen atleast one sidenote of 12C to 15C flashing as a side note on some conversation here at MoHPC.

I so much hope there would be some dotmatrix pocket calc, with 4 to 6 lines of stack shown and full programmability so I can download it full of tables from standards and make apropriate small programs using those.
11-13-2015, 11:38 AM
Sounds like the spec of the 43S.

d:-)
11-13-2015, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2015 10:38 PM by Vtile.)
(11-13-2015 11:38 AM)walter b Wrote:  Sounds like the spec of the 43S.

There is only one problem, it doesn't exist. Smile In general I personally feel that pocket size calculators have stuckt to late 80's what comes to technology (mostly implementation [connectivity and programming] and design [ie, two line displays, size factor in small extend]).
11-14-2015, 01:44 PM
(11-13-2015 10:36 PM)Vtile Wrote:  
(11-13-2015 11:38 AM)walter b Wrote:  Sounds like the spec of the 43S.

There is only one problem, it doesn't exist. Smile

Hmmh, the spec does exist. Smile See Jake's talk at HHC 2015.

Quote:In general I personally feel that pocket size calculators have stuckt to late 80's what comes to technology (mostly implementation [connectivity and programming] and design [ie, two line displays, size factor in small extend]).

Depends. I concur for connectivity and displays. I don't see your point in programming. And I can't decode what you wanted to tell with "size factor in small extend".

d:-?
12-05-2015, 06:45 PM
(11-13-2015 09:45 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  

Bernhard

All these calculators are RPN or have an RPN mode already, though. You do not need to reprogram them to use RPN entry logic, nor do you need to reprogram most HP models for this purpose as an HP calculator generally will have RPN entry logic as an option if it has any functions beyond +-*/. But while we're on the topic of them, in particular, who was HP surveying that they came up with the idea that algebraic notation "without" precedence is a thing people would want on a calculator with the advanced functions of the 10bII+/20b/30b?
12-06-2015, 09:24 PM
(12-05-2015 06:45 PM)Joseph_21sv Wrote:  ... an HP calculator generally will have RPN entry logic as an option if it has any functions beyond +-*/.

Not true. There are a number of Pioneers which are purely algebraic (e.g. 20S, 21S, 22S, 27S).

Quote:But while we're on the topic of them, in particular, who was HP surveying that they came up with the idea that algebraic notation "without" precedence is a thing people would want on a calculator with the advanced functions of the 10bII+/20b/30b?

This is a special calculation mode requested by financial people. No further comment. Confused

12-07-2015, 05:28 PM
(12-06-2015 09:24 PM)walter b Wrote:  Not true.

generally: in most cases

I could be wrong but I still have the impression that most HP calculators provide RPN entry logic.
12-07-2015, 06:37 PM
Another 'false friend'.

d:-/
12-08-2015, 08:19 PM
(12-07-2015 06:37 PM)walter b Wrote:  Another 'false friend'.

Well, generell is translated by:
general adj.
generally adv.

Thus not really a false friend.
12-09-2015, 07:15 AM
According to Duden, "generell" equals "allgemein, allseits, ausnahmslos, ausschließlich, bei allen, durchgängig, durchweg, einheitlich" etc. - which was the meaning I understood and used it. Apparently, that wasn't what Joseph wanted to express. I leave it to the audience ... and Plato (see below).

d:-?
12-09-2015, 04:45 PM
(12-09-2015 07:15 AM)walter b Wrote:  According to Duden

generell:
Quote:Adjektiv - für die meisten oder alle Fälle derselben Art geltend, zutreffend

I'd say "most of the cases" was what Joseph wanted to express.
12-09-2015, 11:17 PM
(12-07-2015 05:28 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  I could be wrong but I still have the impression that most HP calculators provide RPN entry logic.

True! That's why we buy and use them.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)