HP 28S battery cover replacement
10-23-2015, 12:50 AM
HP 28S battery cover replacement
New here, but long time HP calculator fan/owner.

My 28S's battery cover is no longer (surprise, surprise), and I see from this post:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...467#217467

That someone has created a very clever, very sturdy replacement. I couldn't respond to that thread asking how to order one, so am appealing here: are there instructions for making one of these, or a place to order them anywhere?

thanks!
dylan mcnamee
Portland, Oregon
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2015, 02:50 AM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2015 02:54 AM by Katie Wasserman.)
RE: HP 28S battery cover replacement
(10-23-2015 12:50 AM)dylanmc Wrote:  New here, but long time HP calculator fan/owner.

Welcome!

Quote:That someone has created a very clever, very sturdy replacement. I couldn't respond to that thread asking how to order one, so am appealing here: are there instructions for making one of these, or a place to order them anywhere?

aj04062 (Adam) is active on this forum, but it might be best to send him an email or PM, via this website, for a quick answer.

Here's a more recent thread discussing this.

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-23-2015, 10:48 PM
(10-23-2015 12:50 AM)dylanmc Wrote:  New here, but long time HP calculator fan/owner.

My 28S's battery cover is no longer (surprise, surprise), and I see from this post:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...467#217467

That someone has created a very clever, very sturdy replacement. I couldn't respond to that thread asking how to order one, so am appealing here: are there instructions for making one of these, or a place to order them anywhere?

thanks!
dylan mcnamee
Portland, Oregon

Hi dylanmc, welcome!

Although I don't have this problem yet, I fear that some day I will have, of course, so I'm wondering if a 3d printing would be a better solution. I suppose, if this is possible, that many fellows here 28 lovers like me could buy one or more if a 3d printing of the battery door was available.

What you guys think about it?

Cheers

JL
10-23-2015, 11:04 PM
(10-23-2015 10:48 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  I suppose, if this is possible, that many fellows here 28 lovers like me could buy one or more if a 3d printing of the battery door was available.

You create the model and I'll add it to the hpparts shop on Shapeways.

Dave
10-24-2015, 12:53 AM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2015 12:55 AM by Jlouis.)
(10-23-2015 11:04 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(10-23-2015 10:48 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  I suppose, if this is possible, that many fellows here 28 lovers like me could buy one or more if a 3d printing of the battery door was available.

You create the model and I'll add it to the hpparts shop on Shapeways.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I really don't know how to create a model, but I will do my best to learn how, but in meantime if someone could give a hint, I Will appreciate very much, but first of all, we need to know how many people would be interested in those 3d printed 28s battery door!

Is there someone else?
10-24-2015, 02:15 AM
Ok Dave, I thought that the more people buying, the less it would cost.

Thanks for the clarification.

If it's possible, why not do it?

Have a nice weekend!

Cheers

JL
10-24-2015, 02:45 AM
(10-24-2015 12:53 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  
(10-23-2015 11:04 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  You create the model and I'll add it to the hpparts shop on Shapeways.

Dave

Is there someone else?

Dave, I would also be interested in the little cover for the port on the right side of my HP 41CX.

Jlouis, I'm interested in the 28S battery item. The case of my 28S is cracked where the battery cover slides in.

-Jonathan
10-24-2015, 03:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2015 03:25 AM by Dave Frederickson.)
(10-24-2015 02:45 AM)Jonathan Cameron Wrote:  Dave, I would also be interested in the little cover for the port on the right side of my HP 41CX.

Parts can be ordered from Shapeways.com/shops/hpparts. Feedback is the side port covers fit well. Thank Nate Martin for the model.
10-24-2015, 04:34 AM
(10-24-2015 03:04 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(10-24-2015 02:45 AM)Jonathan Cameron Wrote:  Dave, I would also be interested in the little cover for the port on the right side of my HP 41CX.

Parts can be ordered from Shapeways.com/shops/hpparts. Feedback is the side port covers fit well. Thank Nate Martin for the model.

Thanks for pointing that out. I glanced through the parts earlier but missed that one was what I'm looking for!

-Jonathan
10-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Due to a couple of recent orders, the number of parts purchased from the Shapeways shop is now over 100. Smile
10-25-2015, 10:39 AM
(10-24-2015 06:02 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Due to a couple of recent orders, the number of parts purchased from the Shapeways shop is now over 100. Smile

Dave, the parts have different colours from the original part, is there a problem to match the original colour? I'm asking because I prefer to maintain the originality of the calculator as real as it gets.

TIA

JL
10-25-2015, 05:17 PM
(10-25-2015 10:39 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  is there a problem to match the original colour? I'm asking because I prefer to maintain the originality of the calculator as real as it gets.

The parts are simply available in the colors Shapeways has to offer. However, the colored parts are made in white and then dyed, so if you can find some "HP Brown" dye then you might be able to better match the color. Smile

Original parts can be found on eBay.

Dave
10-25-2015, 05:46 PM
(10-25-2015 05:17 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(10-25-2015 10:39 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  is there a problem to match the original colour? I'm asking because I prefer to maintain the originality of the calculator as real as it gets.

The parts are simply available in the colors Shapeways has to offer. However, the colored parts are made in white and then dyed, so if you can find some "HP Brown" dye then you might be able to better match the color. Smile

Original parts can be found on eBay.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

In this case I''ll pass the 3d print for awhile.

Cheers

JL
10-30-2015, 11:43 PM
I ordered the 3D printed side-port cover for the HP 41 from Shapeways and I just received it!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2735]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2736]

It fits nicely. The color is a bit dark but is not too obtrusive. The texture is a bit rougher than the calculator exterior (which is not surprising given the state of 3D printing). And the top of the cover sits a bit low in the socket (better than sticking out a bit, I suppose).

So, I'm pleased with it on the whole. Thanks everyone involved with its creation!

-Jonathan

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)