Batteries for Spice Series
10-16-2015, 08:15 PM
Batteries for Spice Series
Can anyone give me the name and/or part number of the best batteries to use for Spice calculators? I seem to recall somewhere a mention of a flat top AA cell which should be short enough to fit without stretching or damaging the battery compartment.

Thanks !

Regards,
Bob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2015, 08:27 PM
RE: Batteries for Spice Series
I have purchased from this fellow in the past and they are a perfect fit: Batteries for Spice Calculators

Jeff
10-16-2015, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2015 09:33 PM by Dieter.)
(10-16-2015 08:15 PM)bshoring Wrote:  Can anyone give me the name and/or part number of the best batteries to use for Spice calculators? I seem to recall somewhere a mention of a flat top AA cell which should be short enough to fit without stretching or damaging the battery compartment.

The battery pack Jeff proposed seems to be a nice replacement for the original 82109A pack with approx. twice the original capacity.

But let me suggest a different approach: use two standard (not neccessarily flat top) NiMH AA batteries (for instance Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloop) and a smart external charger. The details have been discussed here in an earlier thread. This way you get four or five times the original capacity and – when using the suggested Eneloops – virtually no self discharge. Which is perfect if the 31/32/33/34/38 is not your every day calculator.

Dieter
10-16-2015, 09:39 PM
Thanks, Jeff. This looks like it would be a good option if and when I get an AC adapter. So for now I am looking for some disposable or rechargeable batteries that are short enough to fit.

Thanks!

Regards,
Bob
10-16-2015, 09:49 PM
I've also used batteries from the source Jeff suggested; they work well, with much longer life than originals.

I've also used these with the same positive results.

--Bob Prosperi
10-16-2015, 10:31 PM
If capacity of these is 1300 mAh , and the original was 450 mAh, can I infer that the new one should last almost 3 times as long for each charge?

Thanks!

Regards,
Bob
10-17-2015, 06:02 AM
(10-16-2015 10:31 PM)bshoring Wrote:  If capacity of these is 1300 mAh ,

The label says "1300 mAh". ;-) Caveat emptor.

About 10 years ago, when the major battery manufacturers (Panasonic, Sanyo, ...) offered their last NiCd generation before they switched to NiMH, AA sized NiCds were available in 1000 mAh or slightly above (e.g. Panasonic P100AAS).

(10-16-2015 10:31 PM)bshoring Wrote:  and the original was 450 mAh, can I infer that the new one should last almost 3 times as long for each charge?

If the capacity, determined for the same load, actually is/was 1300 mAh: yes. Provided they are fully charged. If you use the Spice charger and charge these batteries internally, the relative charging current is very low and so a full charge will require substantial time. BTW does anyone know the charging current?

Dieter
10-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Thanks all for the great advice !

Regards,
Bob
10-18-2015, 03:23 PM
(10-16-2015 09:49 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I've also used these with the same positive results.
I have also used those, and agree.

Jeff

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)