Apps and Programs
10-11-2015, 01:47 AM
Apps and Programs
So all programs are global. Only the so called xxxApps are local to an app.
So to not clutter the whole calculator this seems to mean at a large app must be in a single huge file.

Is there no way to build a single app with many small private files?

I work with android Prime only for now on my
Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2015, 06:48 AM
RE: Apps and Programs
Hello,

You are correct, and no, at this point in time, there is no ways to create an app program that is not a "huge file", unless, of course, your app program is small.

The assumption was that anyone doing "serious" development for an app would do it on the PC, at which point a huge file is much less of an issue.

The Prime predecessor, the HP38/9 series had 1 program (read one function) per file, and this was an unbelievable mess/clutter. I think that the Prime approach is an improvement, but it does have some limitations, I agree.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
10-12-2015, 12:40 PM
I get it.
My problem is ive been working with the android version on my tablet and can work with larger files than I would dare to try on the real calculator or my phone.

BTW is there any part of the forum deboted to android prime users?
we have special problems. Are the developers of the android app availabe on the forum?

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
10-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Hello,

As far as I know there is no special Android prime forum, but as you can see, there is not so much noise on this forum that we can not all be together.
Maybe once we have 1000,000's of user on each platforms, things will be different, but at this point in time, it's kind of OK.

As far as I know, the Android developers are not on any forums. However, developers responsible for most of the calculator code (what is common for all the platforms) are present here and are helping.

Working on large files on the emulator is probably not the easiest thing to do.
Are you able to copy/paste from the calculator screen to a better editor on the android tablet?

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
10-13-2015, 02:46 AM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2015 02:47 AM by ji3m.)
Yes i have very good editors on the table so i should commit to a single file approach. It was just easier to make small changes and test but i am learning the wisdom of the way the hard way.

BTW i am now believing that many of the frequent crashes on the android version are related to compiling programs with undeclared forward reference or worse deleting the taget of the
forward reference. I even have gotten into situations where even opening a program explodes the system.
Probably due to a pointer to the void.

One file should stop most of my crash problems. I hope.

Thanks muchly for your attention.

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
10-13-2015, 04:03 AM
(10-13-2015 02:46 AM)ji3m Wrote:  One file should stop most of my crash problems. I hope.

There was a lot of work don between the version from last nov (which the android code currently published is based on) and the current hardware release (from april) around correcting those problems you are seeing. When the android catches up android it should resolve things...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)