Graphic vars
10-05-2015, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 10:23 AM by hpfx.)
Graphic vars
Hello,
From what I understood, reserved graphic vars are the only graphic vars we can play with.
I mean, there are reserved vars for reel (A-Z), complex (Z0-Z9), lists (L0-L9) and matrix (M0-M9) but we are still able to define our own vars in program for local use. But it's not the case for graphics (GROB) vars.
No choice, your program cannot have its own var for GROB. You have 9 vars to play with, nothing else. My concerns is not the number of var, but more the fact programs will alter GROBs variables that are shared with user... I mean if user wanted to keep screenshot in few grob var, he may lost few by running progs...

I think that people that produce progs may feel better to have local grob var.
I think for the benefit of all, it would be great to allow such vars.
Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2015, 02:22 PM
RE: Graphic vars
(10-05-2015 10:22 AM)hpfx Wrote:  Hello,
From what I understood, reserved graphic vars are the only graphic vars we can play with.
I mean, there are reserved vars for reel (A-Z), complex (Z0-Z9), lists (L0-L9) and matrix (M0-M9) but we are still able to define our own vars in program for local use. But it's not the case for graphics (GROB) vars.
No choice, your program cannot have its own var for GROB. You have 9 vars to play with, nothing else. My concerns is not the number of var, but more the fact programs will alter GROBs variables that are shared with user... I mean if user wanted to keep screenshot in few grob var, he may lost few by running progs...

I think that people that produce progs may feel better to have local grob var.
Thank you.

You already have them, in a sense, via the ICON command. This allows you to bind a graphics object to a "string name."

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
10-05-2015, 02:53 PM
(10-05-2015 10:22 AM)hpfx Wrote:  I think that people that produce progs may feel better to have local grob var.

Part of the issue here is SIZE of the dang screen. Having the ability to accidentally keep around graphics not as compressed, PNG files on disk and instead keeping them as uncompressed objects that hang around consuming large amounts of memory is not great...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
10-06-2015, 05:47 AM
Hello,

One of the assumption is that a user that takes a screen shot will save it to disk using the AFiles("name.png"):=G? command. after which it will not be needed anymore.

You might also have noticed that the G? variables are not saved when the calculator reboots. They are really temporary.

The system is not great, it is, in large part a leftover from the HP38, but it serves a purpose and seems to work "ok enough"... I mean, people seems to be able to create pretty good things with just these 10 (well 9, really) graphics

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)