HP-01 Case Opener on TOS
10-01-2015, 12:39 PM
HP-01 Case Opener on TOS
Was surprised to see Jim Donnelly's design for the HP-01 case opener advertised on TOS for $299! Jim should crank up his milling machine and put out a few more of his original design for the HP-01 case opener if they're going to sell at that price! I was lucky enough to snag one from Jim at the HHC2013 conference. I wouldn't sell mine for any amount of money!
(Seller incorrectly lists it as vintage. I'm guessing 2-3 years old.)

HP-01 Case Opener
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2015, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2015 01:37 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
RE: HP-01 Case Opener on TOS
OMG!

I need at least two (if I decide to open both at the same time)!

Nice case opener however.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Jim lives in Corvallis, hopefully he can pop up for 2016 and bring some wrenches along with his Napier Bones and Orrery. I am hoping the Vancouver meeting will capture some long time HP calculator project people from Seattle and Corvallis. Seattle is only 01:30 from Vancouver.

Just sent him an email.

Geoff
10-02-2015, 12:04 AM
First time I have seen one like that.
I bought a new one on eBay a while ago from a guy in Hungary, which every HP01 enthusiast has probably picked up on.
Must be milling them out on some sort of CMC machine. I found it was well made
And reasonably priced, better than using a generic case opener.

Geoff hope you are well, and I am still on hunt for the spare board for that
Hi key 01, still looking :-)

Regards
Ray
10-02-2015, 08:35 PM
(10-01-2015 12:39 PM)jjohnson873 Wrote:  Was surprised to see Jim Donnelly's design for the HP-01 case opener advertised on TOS for $299! Jim should crank up his milling machine and put out a few more of his original design for the HP-01 case opener if they're going to sell at that price! I was lucky enough to snag one from Jim at the HHC2013 conference. I wouldn't sell mine for any amount of money!
(Seller incorrectly lists it as vintage. I'm guessing 2-3 years old.)

HP-01 Case Opener

I've tried contacting this seller to advise him that these are not "vintage", and are available directly from the seller (Jim) for $79. Not surprisingly, one gets a reply "Unfortunately, due to the high volume of messages this seller receives, they are unable to respond to your specific question right now."

Given this seller is falsely listing the item as vintage and is typically overcharging by $220, I'm not surprised he has a high volume of messages, and is unwilling to reply...

--Bob Prosperi
10-02-2015, 09:16 PM
When I viewed the image, it reminded me immediately of the openers made for removing the backs of Bulova Accutron tuning-fork watches of the 1960's and 1970's. I have two different types:

one stamped from sheet metal by Bulova for their service people

And a nicely-machined, anodized aluminum one produced by an Accutron enthusiast and offered to other collectors for I think around $40 (that was 9 or 10 years ago).
[Image: accwrench.jpg]

Since I don't own an HP-01, I could not confirm if these might work there too. It's 28.5 mm between opposite fingers.
10-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Adapting a Bulova wrench
The sheet metal Accutron opener could have its tips bent in or out a bit, so even if it's not exact, it should serve the purpose well.

These are available on eBay now for around $45, unless you can catch an auction for less.
10-04-2015, 03:11 AM
Is there something wrong with a standard $10 adjustable case wrench?

[Image: k2-_df80d7be-7e55-462f-a822-28831b2832fc.v1.jpg]
10-04-2015, 04:13 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 04:19 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Yes, is the short answer, read on.

The HP01 case has a piezo (bender) mounted (epoxied) on the inside back of the case back. The wrench slots for the case wrench are "holes" through to the bender, which is used as the water proof cap on the inside of the case back. The holes (wrench slots) enhance the sound releasing it directly to the air versus muffling in a sealed case.

I have the same wrench but the tips project too far into the wrench slots and will bend, deform or puncture the bender. Hence the reduced tips on the HP wrenches.

I have 8 of these restored and four needed new benders due to a watch maker using the standard wrench you pictured and destroying the bender through the wrench slots. Probably for a battery change.

Of course, if you are very careful and do not run into a 'welded tight' case back, that wrench would work.

Cheers, Geoff

35 restored Accutrons and counting!
10-04-2015, 06:35 PM
(10-04-2015 04:13 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Yes, is the short answer, read on.

Ah, okay. I've never seen the back of a HP-01 up close before. It looks like you could still use an adjustable case wrench, but it would require a custom set of pins specifically designed for the HP-01. I figured there must be a reason people were willing to pay $79 for a case opener, but the odd design of the HP-01 case back isn't externally obvious. Bulova also made a plastic (nylon/delrin?) case opener with short teeth, which is what I prefer to use on Accutrons since there is no chance of scratching the case back.

I started repairing Accutron watches about 25 years ago, taught by my grandfather who was a watchmaker and Certified Accutron Technician. I stopped about 5 years ago due to eye strain issues.
10-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Hi Accutron,

HP also made a plastic wrench which contains 5 357 batteries and two spare case back o-rings. Now those are rare! No chance of scratching either. I guess one could file down the slotted tips to the correct depth.

Cheers!
10-05-2015, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 02:39 AM by BobVA.)
(10-04-2015 09:39 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  ...and two spare case back o-rings.

Wow - cool!

Totally. Never. Saw. Those.

I actually have the instruction sheet for mine and it didn't mention them, either. Make sure you put that in your book!

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)