Test tomorrow (HELP!)
10-01-2015, 01:32 AM
Test tomorrow (HELP!)
Hi all,

I have a test tomorrow and will need to use my HP Prime. I will need to find increasing, decreasing, domain, range, minimum and maximum of functions. My teacher and classmates use TI-84s and I'm the only one who has the Prime and I need to know how to find them. Anyone mind helping out a brother?

Thanks in Advance,
Shaheer
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2015, 04:24 AM
RE: Test tomorrow (HELP!)
why not reading the User guide just for 10 mins? you can download it from here you might wanna go to chapter 7, page 106... and there you'll find what you're looking for.

Spybot.
10-01-2015, 05:05 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2015 05:11 AM by John Colvin.)
The pencil and paper method might be faster than learning the Prime in such a short time, but I would suggest plotting both the function and its derivative using the Function app on the Prime. This App is pretty much self explanatory.
10-01-2015, 05:27 AM
Hello,

>I have a test tomorrow and will need to use my HP Prime. I will need to find increasing, decreasing, domain, range, minimum and maximum of functions.

The best would be to enter your function as F1 in the function application.
Then, in the CAS, type F2:=F1'

This gives you the function and it's derivative.

F1 has an extremum where F2 has a 0. so you need to solve for the 0 of the derivative.
Once again, in CAS: solve(F2(x)=0,x) will do that

F1 will GROW where F2 is >0 and decreese where F2 is <0.
Now that you have the roots of F2 (ie, points where it is 0), evaluating F2 in between these points will tell you its sign.

for the domain, well, you need to see where the F1 function is defined. I am not sure that there is a function to do that, but it should be relatively easy.
/ is only defined when the denominator is !=0
log/ln and sqrt when x is >0
^is a little bit more complicted, but since you very rarely have a x on the right side, you do usually not need to worry about that.

Good luck.
Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
10-01-2015, 05:50 PM
The professional has so much patience to explain these simple things... Really fine forum!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)