15C LE prices
09-18-2015, 02:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2015 02:27 PM by Harald.)
15C LE prices
Recently someone bought a 15C LE on ebay Germany for very close to 300 Euros.
At that sort of price I might be tempted to sell my unused spare 15C LE.
There must be a lot of 15C LEs out there that never got used, I wonder how the price could get that high. Are people speculating on even higher prices? Or do they simply not want to part with their 15Cs?

I wonder if the new Swiss Micros 15C clone will change anythig, provided the keyboard is usable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2015, 12:42 PM
RE: 15C LE prices
(09-18-2015 02:26 PM)Harald Wrote:  Recently someone bought a 15C LE on ebay Germany for very close to 300 Euros.
Actually some 15C LE units went for even more recently.

(09-18-2015 02:26 PM)Harald Wrote:  At that sort of price I might be tempted to sell my unused spare 15C LE.
There must be a lot of 15C LEs out there that never got used, I wonder how the price could get that high.
Are people speculating on even higher prices? Or do they simply not want to part with their 15Cs?
All retailer stocks seem to be empty, so all units are in the hands of either collectors or speculants, or both, so it's a question of supply and demand;-)

And if you look at the way the 15C LE is presented, in a very special box wrapped into a clear plastic box, it's clear the the 15C LE was meant to be a collectors' item rather than a tool:-)

-- Ray
09-20-2015, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2015 11:11 AM by robert rozee.)
(09-19-2015 12:42 PM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  And if you look at the way the 15C LE is presented, in a very special box wrapped into a clear plastic box, it's clear the the 15C LE was meant to be a collectors' item rather than a tool:-)

and as time goes by, it becomes even more important that you DO NOT break the seals on the box and try turning your 15C LE on. for the 15C LE is built with materials and technology that has a much shorter lifespan than the original 15C. i would expect that after 10 years a good proportion of 15C LE calculators will be non-functional (even if never touched) and only of use as a very static display. as long as that presentation box stays sealed, any non-functionality safely remains just a 'could be'.

cheers,
rob :-)
09-20-2015, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2015 02:43 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(09-20-2015 11:09 AM)robert rozee Wrote:  
(09-19-2015 12:42 PM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  And if you look at the way the 15C LE is presented, in a very special box wrapped into a clear plastic box, it's clear the the 15C LE was meant to be a collectors' item rather than a tool:-)

and as time goes by, it becomes even more important that you DO NOT break the seals on the box and try turning your 15C LE on. for the 15C LE is built with materials and technology that has a much shorter lifespan than the original 15C. i would expect that after 10 years a good proportion of 15C LE calculators will be non-functional (even if never touched) and only of use as a very static display. as long as that presentation box stays sealed, any non-functionality safely remains just a 'could be'.

When faced with a dilemma such as this, I like to refer to The Big Bang Theory, specifically the episode with Spock, debating on whether or not to open the package.

Spock: What is the purpose of a calculator?
Sheldon: To crunch numbers.
Spock: So to not crunch numbers with one would be ... ?
Sheldon: Illogical. Damn it Spock, you're right!

I like to play with the calculators in my collection. Smile

Dave

EDIT: Yes, in the episode it's a MIB Mego Transporter, not a calculator, but you get the picture. And there's a Gorn involved.
09-20-2015, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2015 09:53 PM by Katie Wasserman.)
(09-20-2015 02:31 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  When faced with a dilemma such as this, I like to refer to The Big Bang Theory, specifically the episode with Spock, debating on whether or not to open the package.

Spock: What is the purpose of a calculator?
Sheldon: To crunch numbers.
Spock: So to not crunch numbers with one would be ... ?
Sheldon: Illogical. Damn it Spock, you're right!

I like to play with the calculators in my collection. Smile

Dave

EDIT: Yes, in the episode it's a MIB Mego Transporter, not a calculator, but you get the picture. And there's a Gorn involved.

But you stopped the description of this episode too soon and potentially reached the wrong conclusion.....

Sheldon opened the package and broke the Transporter as soon as he started playing with it.

So, maybe it's best to leave MIB things as MIB! Smile

Perhaps the best compromise, albeit an expensive one, is to have two 15C LE's one MIB the other for use.

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Aha!
So this is why demand outstrips supply. Everyone who needs one has to buy at least two.

(09-20-2015 04:57 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  ...
Perhaps the best compromise, albeit and expensive one, is to have two 15C LE's one MIB the other for use.
09-20-2015, 10:16 PM
(09-20-2015 04:57 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  But you stopped the description of this episode too soon and potentially reached the wrong conclusion.....

Sheldon opened the package and broke the Transporter as soon as he started playing with it.

So, maybe it's best to leave MIB things as MIB! Smile

Perhaps the best compromise, albeit an expensive one, is to have two 15C LE's one MIB the other for use.

Recall that the broken Transporter wasn't discovered until Penny encouraged Leonard to open his. Yes, two is a good solution. Should'a bought two LE's when they were $99.

Dave
09-21-2015, 02:45 AM
(09-20-2015 11:09 AM)robert rozee Wrote:  and as time goes by, it becomes even more important that you DO NOT break the seals on the box and try turning your 15C LE on. for the 15C LE is built with materials and technology that has a much shorter lifespan than the original 15C. i would expect that after 10 years a good proportion of 15C LE calculators will be non-functional (even if never touched) and only of use as a very static display. as long as that presentation box stays sealed, any non-functionality safely remains just a 'could be'.

cheers,
rob :-)

So $135 (HP15C) for +30 years of calculating + $100 (HP15CLE) for 10 years of calculating = +40 years of calculating for $235. Not bad.

I am currently using the HP15CLE daily in the real world to see how it holds up long term. 4 years so far and no problems.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)