newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
01-23-2016, 11:55 PM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Jan-07-16] Firmware for testing available for download
(01-18-2016 03:55 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(01-17-2016 08:44 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  
  • I've made a menu with TMENU. The text in the "black blocks" goes right up to the top line of black pixels, making it harder to read than if there was one more line of black. Is this deliberate?

Well, it deliberately saves one pixel, the intent wasn't to make it hard to read, though. With 3 lines of menus, 3 lines of pixels would have to go. It's doable, if I get more complaints about that I can lose those 3 pixels.

I think I will be the second one to complain about that. But there is no need to lose three pixels. In my opinion, the white menus look fine, and I find them easy to read. There would be only a black line to add on top of the black menu, so only one pixel to lose.

I have tried to make white menus with the syntax { { { "display" 2 } action } … }. The menu is then easy to read, but I find that the object at the level 1 on the stack is still too close to the menu.

On another subject, I've noticed that editing a list begins with the cursor in Direct mode. I think that it should begin in P mode, like with programs.

Jean-Charles
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2016, 04:05 AM
(01-23-2016 11:55 PM)Helix Wrote:  I think I will be the second one to complain about that. But there is no need to lose three pixels. In my opinion, the white menus look fine, and I find them easy to read. There would be only a black line to add on top of the black menu, so only one pixel to lose.

Fair enough, 1 pixel is no problem. I did the extra pixel, will come out in the next update.

(01-23-2016 11:55 PM)Helix Wrote:  On another subject, I've noticed that editing a list begins with the cursor in Direct mode. I think that it should begin in P mode, like with programs.

Done, I also added Alg mode when editing units. Will come out in the next update.
01-25-2016, 12:06 AM
I've played with the menus, and I'm curious about some observations:

- the sequence: MENUSWAP {"ABC"} TMENU masks the variable menu, and I don't know how to recover it.

- In your previous example where the display object is << IF -1 FC? THEN "DOWN" ELSE "UP" END >> I don't understand how changing the -1 flag *automatically* updates the menu. The same automatic update occurs with variables too. How this magic is done internally?

- {display decoration} seems not to work if display is a program

- the decoration item remains somewhat mysterious. I've found that 2 inverts the display, but I've not found the "directory", "checked checkmark", "unchecked" checkmark" options…

Jean-Charles
01-25-2016, 12:58 AM
(01-25-2016 12:06 AM)Helix Wrote:  I've played with the menus, and I'm curious about some observations:

- the sequence: MENUSWAP {"ABC"} TMENU masks the variable menu, and I don't know how to recover it.

The VAR key... except we don't have any yet.
In the meanwhile, you can use menu codes with TMENU.
The VARS menu is << #40000h TMENU >>.

(01-25-2016 12:06 AM)Helix Wrote:  - In your previous example where the display object is << IF -1 FC? THEN "DOWN" ELSE "UP" END >> I don't understand how changing the -1 flag *automatically* updates the menu. The same automatic update occurs with variables too. How this magic is done internally?

When the display object is a program, the program is executed every time the menu is displayed. Changing the flag doesn't automatically refresh the menu, but ending your program does. Unless you FREEZE (not implemented yet) the screen, everything gets updated when the calculator goes idle.
If you set the flag and run a long loop, you won't see the menu updated immediately.

(01-25-2016 12:06 AM)Helix Wrote:  - {display decoration} seems not to work if display is a program

That's by design. You either provide a program, or a list { display decoration } ready for display. A list containing a program is not a valid combination (the program is displayed as-is, not evaluated to prevent infinite loops).
If you provide a program, then the program is supposed to take care of everything, including the decoration. Nothing prevents the program from returning a list { display decoration }, which will be processed in the usual way.
So you don't put a program in { display decoration }, you make a program that returns {display decoration }.

(01-25-2016 12:06 AM)Helix Wrote:  - the decoration item remains somewhat mysterious. I've found that 2 inverts the display, but I've not found the "directory", "checked checkmark", "unchecked" checkmark" options…

Only the directory and inverted are implemented for now, no checkmarks yet (I need to design a nice-looking tick mark).
The numbers are bits, so 1, 2, 4, etc. 1=directory, 2=inverted, (and their combination 1 OR 2 = 3, inverted directory) and that's all I implemented so far.
01-29-2016, 03:09 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 03:11 AM by Claudio L..)
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Jan-28-16] Firmware for testing available for download
I updated the firmware image.

This new ROM has quite a few noticeable changes from the user perspective:

* Added ABS and ARG in the corresponding key.
* Added UPDIR in Left-Shift UP (cursor key). This works even when inside the editor, so you can navigate directories while typing text.
* Added HOME to Left-Shift-Hold UP (as a natural extension of UPDIR)
* Added BEGIN and END to Left-Shift Left and right respectively. These only work in the editor to mark the selection.
* Added COPY and PASTE to Left-Shift-Hold Left and Left-Shift-Hold Right respectively. These work not only for the editor, but also in the stack. You can COPY any object to the clipboard, and you can paste text or objects into the stack or the editor.

Also fixed a bug in the compiler that was triggered on rare occasions.

Known bugs:
After I posted I discovered a bug, when the end of selection is the end of the text, and a newline is added to the end, it displays some garbled characters.
I'm sure there will be other bugs, I'm counting on you to help me clear them.

EDIT: BTW, it also adds that extra line of pixels to the black menu. It was done in gray because it cannot be inverted, not sure if it looks right.
01-29-2016, 03:46 PM
(01-29-2016 03:09 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  I updated the firmware image.

* Added UPDIR in Left-Shift UP (cursor key). This works even when inside the editor, so you can navigate directories while typing text.
* Added BEGIN and END to Left-Shift Left and right respectively. These only work in the editor to mark the selection.
* Added COPY and PASTE to Left-Shift-Hold Left and Left-Shift-Hold Right respectively. These work not only for the editor, but also in the stack. You can COPY any object to the clipboard, and you can paste text or objects into the stack or the editor.

Known bugs:
After I posted I discovered a bug, when the end of selection is the end of the text, and a newline is added to the end, it displays some garbled characters.

EDIT: BTW, it also adds that extra line of pixels to the black menu. It was done in gray because it cannot be inverted, not sure if it looks right.

I must admit that mapping the updir to the up key and "begin/end" to the left and right key is a good idea! Very intuitive.

Thank you!

BTW this time the update went without a glitch, no need to erase memory.
01-29-2016, 08:16 PM

Known bugs:

+1 ... where's the like button?

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
01-29-2016, 10:01 PM

Is there a command to show the "variables" soft menu (in ether the normal or alternative location).

I am asking because right now I have the unit soft menu in the normal location and my own "TMENU" in the alternative location and I can not get rid of either of them to get back my variables soft menu. I am looking for something like the "VAR" key on a normal HP-50G.

Thank you!

François
01-29-2016, 11:31 PM
See post #228: #40000h TMENU

Jean-Charles
01-29-2016, 11:34 PM
(01-29-2016 03:09 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  EDIT: BTW, it also adds that extra line of pixels to the black menu. It was done in gray because it cannot be inverted, not sure if it looks right.

It looks better for me now.

Jean-Charles
01-30-2016, 01:57 AM
(01-29-2016 11:31 PM)Helix Wrote:  See post #228: #40000h TMENU

Thank you, I missed this one.
01-30-2016, 04:00 AM
How does this project can be compared to the original HP50G ecosystem?

- It would be nice to do some comparison tables:
* Features
* 3rd party apps.

How is this compared to RPL/2?

What about HP Prime RPN?

Would be possible to adopt the code or features from WP34S/WP25S?

Thanks for your replies Wink
01-30-2016, 09:10 PM
(01-30-2016 04:00 AM)timofonic Wrote:  How does this project can be compared to the original HP50G ecosystem?

* Features
* 3rd party apps.

What about HP Prime RPN?

How do you compare something that isn't finished? newRPL is very young and constantly evolving. A feature not implemented now doesn't mean it can't be implemented later. As far as completeness, it will always fall short compared to the 50g, until the code matures.

(01-30-2016 04:00 AM)timofonic Wrote:  Would be possible to adopt the code or features from WP34S/WP25S?

Not really, they are very different.
However, algorithms and ideas are always portable.
01-30-2016, 09:14 PM
(01-30-2016 07:48 PM)compsystems Wrote:  I want to try RPL+ but, I do not have a HP50G (sold it a few years ago), I have win10, and x49g+ emulator can not run on win10

the newRPL-demo-alpha0.5-win32.exe, it lacks a keyboard , is difficult to associate the keys on my laptop to the operation keys of RPL+, please to adhere a simple KB to demo, Please to adhere also edit/copy paste text from/the clipboard

Thanks

If you read other posts, you'll see another member contributed images suitable for a skin. I started coding a simple skinnable GUI using QML, but haven't merged the two projects yet. The new GUI is low in the priority list, but is being worked on. Perhaps in 2017 you'll have a nice skinnable simulator.
01-31-2016, 04:09 AM
(01-30-2016 09:10 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(01-30-2016 04:00 AM)timofonic Wrote:  How does this project can be compared to the original HP50G ecosystem?

* Features
* 3rd party apps.

What about HP Prime RPN?

How do you compare something that isn't finished? newRPL is very young and constantly evolving. A feature not implemented now doesn't mean it can't be implemented later. As far as completeness, it will always fall short compared to the 50g, until the code matures.

(01-30-2016 04:00 AM)timofonic Wrote:  Would be possible to adopt the code or features from WP34S/WP25S?

Not really, they are very different.
However, algorithms and ideas are always portable.

Oh, I see. It would be nice to maintain a matrix about what's implemented and a planning. Some projects do that, specially FOSS ones.

What about uploading it to GitLab or GitHub? Make a small website (it can appear on GitHub, no need to configure a webserver and a CMS) and promote it to get contributors Big Grin

You have an oldie looking site and the code in SF. I didn't find a direct link of it Sad

What are those over 700 functions from? Compared to what ones?
http://hpgcc3.org/projects/newrpl/projec...led-status

I see it more like this, but more simple. Just a matrix comparing it with the functions of different RPL implementations.
https://mesamatrix.net/

It's just a suggestion. I'm sure you're very busy and prefer to spend your time coding this great project.

Kind regards.

What license do you use?
02-01-2016, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2016 07:19 PM by Claudio L..)
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Feb-01-16] Firmware for testing available for download
A new update for those following this project. This one comes as a stability update:

* Fixed bug in compiler that could cause aborts in rare cases
* Fixed memory leak in various areas that could consume all memory over long period of time
* Fixed bug in numeric reduction routine when using approximated constants ('X/2.' EVAL -> X)
* Changed behavior of COPYCLIP to keep the argument in the stack.
* PURGE no longer errors when variable is not found.
* Memory safety checks on startup are now done at fast clock (to avoid delay on boot)

I recommend all people using newRPL to flash this ROM, as it is a big step forward in overall system stability.
02-01-2016, 10:05 PM
(01-31-2016 04:09 AM)timofonic Wrote:  Oh, I see. It would be nice to maintain a matrix about what's implemented and a planning. Some projects do that, specially FOSS ones.

The status page and detailed status are exactly that. May not look exactly the way you like but the info is there, more or less.

(01-31-2016 04:09 AM)timofonic Wrote:  What about uploading it to GitLab or GitHub? Make a small website (it can appear on GitHub, no need to configure a webserver and a CMS) and promote it to get contributors Big Grin

You have an oldie looking site and the code in SF. I didn't find a direct link of it Sad
Hey, my site is fully responsive, can be opened in mobile or desktop, using latest technology in CMS (Joomla 3). May look oldie, but it's state of the art :-).
I guess for young people, anything that doesn't have 15 buttons linking all their favorite "social" sites is an "oldie".
BTW, my site may look strange to you because there's no ads or banners. I hate ads and therefore I pay for hosting with my sweat and tears.

Regarding github... I hosted with SF, but using a GIT repository, so I have all the advantages of git, but the sourceforge platform is better for the release of binary files, as there's no "Download" section on github.

(01-31-2016 04:09 AM)timofonic Wrote:  What are those over 700 functions from? Compared to what ones?
http://hpgcc3.org/projects/newrpl/projec...led-status

Those are the commands suported on the 50g. newRPL has only a small fraction implemented.

(01-31-2016 04:09 AM)timofonic Wrote:  What license do you use?

BSD
02-14-2016, 06:46 PM
Hi Claudio,

Is the detailed status page (where you list all implemented command) up to date ? I know the MOD keyword you added for me is not listed but maybe there are more commands that are not flag adequately.

This list is very useful to in order to know what I can use in my programs.

BTW I saw that you are working on the auto-power OFF, good idea!

Keep up the good work.

François
02-16-2016, 04:57 AM
(02-14-2016 06:46 PM)Francois Lanciault Wrote:  Hi Claudio,

Is the detailed status page (where you list all implemented command) up to date ? I know the MOD keyword you added for me is not listed but maybe there are more commands that are not flag adequately.

This list is very useful to in order to know what I can use in my programs.
There could be various reasons why a command is not yet listed:
  • It's not implemented
  • Doesn't support all types, or some cases don't behave the way they should yet
  • The list might be outdated (although I updated it recently)

I think there's quite a few object types where MOD is not supported yet.

The list has a big defect: does not include any of the new commands that are exclusive to newRPL, like LSTO, LRCL, etc.

(02-14-2016 06:46 PM)Francois Lanciault Wrote:  BTW I saw that you are working on the auto-power OFF, good idea!
Yes, but nothing that works yet. I'm currently taking a little break due to space-time constraints, will resume coding hopefully in about a month or so.

(02-14-2016 06:46 PM)Francois Lanciault Wrote:  Keep up the good work.

François

Thanks.
03-09-2016, 06:14 PM
New update March 2016 has the following changes:

* Added command ->Q (no Qpi yet)
* Fixed bug in units with fractional exponents
* Fixed double dot display bug in 10 3 / 3 *
* Added list support for trig functions.
* Fixed bug: DOLIST inverts the list of arguments
* Added support for algebraic local variables syntax: << -> a b 'a+b' >>

Enjoy, and please report any additional bugs.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)