HP-65 Simulator for iPad
09-03-2015, 04:54 PM
HP-65 Simulator for iPad
What is a collection of Classic HP Calculator simulators without the HP-65?
So, finally, RPN-65 Pro has made it to the iTunes Store. The iPad app comes complete with five original HP Pacs already built in.
  • Full, photo-realistic simulation of the HP-65
  • Powerful virtual magnetic cards manager
  • Run in vintage mode, or turn on enhancements
  • 999 program steps, 120 registers, 120 labels, nested subroutines, and more
  • Non-volatile memory
  • Unrestricted store and recall arithmetic
  • On-screen printer lets you trace program execution, or print the program listing or registers
  • Read and write data cards, even exchange data cards with RPN-67/97
  • Decimal points light up when iPad battery runs low
For details, check out my homepage.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2015, 03:39 AM
RE: HP-65 Simulator for iPad
F A N T A S T I C!!!! I will get a copy when I return home on two days! You are the best programmer!!

Namir
09-04-2015, 10:48 PM
I've downloaded it and it is great. Like all the Cuvée apps, this one is true to the original and a true work of art. Nice that you can use it in vintage or enhanced mode with lots of additional features.

Thanks, Willy, for making this!

Regards,
Bob
09-05-2015, 05:03 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 07:02 PM by Namir.)
The first thing I did when I got back from the beach is to download the RPN-65 emulator. I was thinking on the way home about the best way to install the standard HP 65 Pacs mentioned in Kuntz's web site. Well, I fell off my chair when I discovered that Willly has included these Pac with the installation!!! I was beyond happy!! Thanks Willy! You are the man! This emulator, like it's RPN-67 sibling, is MAJOR COOL!!!

Namir
09-05-2015, 09:25 PM
(09-05-2015 05:03 PM)Namir Wrote:  The first thing I did when I got back from the beach is to download the RPN-65 emulator. I was thinking on the way home about the best way to install the standard HP 65 Pacs mentioned in Kuntz's web site. Well, I fell off my chair when I discovered that Willly has included these Pac with the installation!!! I was beyond happy!! Thank Willy! You are the man! This emulator, like it's RPN-67 sibling, is MAJOR COOL!!!

Namir

Thanks for the kudos, Namir. I'm currently preparing a few other pacs for download. By the way, RPN-65 turned out to be one of the toughest simulations so far. The HP-65 has a number of unexpected "features", like ignoring the first RTN statement if a program was not started by a user-defined key. I know of at least one commercial HP program making use of this fact.
09-05-2015, 11:31 PM
If I read your instructions correctly for the RPN-65, you can install multiple programs at the same time, right? Or do you have to create, for each program, a new program in the emulator, drag a downloaded file from a Pac (using iTunes) and then write it to the iPad?? This is how I installed RPN-67 pacs on the iPad.

Namir
09-06-2015, 07:54 AM
(09-05-2015 11:31 PM)Namir Wrote:  If I read your instructions correctly for the RPN-65, you can install multiple programs at the same time, right? Or do you have to create, for each program, a new program in the emulator, drag a downloaded file from a Pac (using iTunes) and then write it to the iPad?? This is how I installed RPN-67 pacs on the iPad.

Namir

You can load either individual cards or replace the entire SQL database. Storing DB files on your computer allows you to manage as many card collections as you like.

Program cards used to have names like HP67ProgCard.rpn67. Cards for RPN-65 have more meaningful names, like STD04B.rpn65. This means you can drag several card files to the iTunes Documents section without naming conflicts. When importing, the alphabetically first card is offered for import. When done, you simply delete the file in iTunes and you'll be offered the next one. Sounds more complicated than it is.

And yes, the import action always overwrites the currently selected card, so you better have a number of empty cards ready. Like in the real world... ;-)
09-06-2015, 09:30 AM
Thank you for explaining the new way to load cards for the RPN-65 and especially the need to have multiple blank cards ready. Your emulator makes me want to write HP-65 programs and not simply use ones in the HP pacs.

Namir
09-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Hey Namir!

Don't forget the HP65 programs from the PPC Journal found here:

http://www.rskey.org/gene

which includes one of my favorite HP 65 programs:

Business Functions

as well as these:

HP-65 TVM - I% Known | HP-65 TVM - I% Unknown
HP-65 Game of Craps! | HP-65 Lunar Lander! | HP-65 Tic-Tac-Toe!
HP-65 Bagels! | HP-65 High-Low! | HP-65 Eleven-thirty Game!
HP-65 Ping Pong Game! | HP-65 Viking Lander! | HP-65 Chuck-a-luck!
09-06-2015, 01:15 PM
I would like to ask Willy to queue emulators for the HP-55 and HP-25C in his next set of emulators for the iPad. I know, I know! It's like we say in Arabic "It's expensive, but the request is cheap!"

Namir
09-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Regarding my request for an HP-25C emulator, maybe an HP-33C emulator would be better since it supports subroutines. You can of course add GSB and RTN as [g]-shifts for the [STO] and [RCL] keys of the HP-25C, respectively. One choice is to make the GSB line-numbered oriented (like an HP33C) or add LBL (as [g]-shift and [STO]) with support for labels 0 to 9.

I hope I m not taking too much liberty in asking you for these emulators. It should go with out any question that they are for pay.

Namir
09-06-2015, 08:40 PM
(09-06-2015 12:06 PM)Gene Wrote:  Hey Namir!

Don't forget the HP65 programs from the PPC Journal found here:

http://www.rskey.org/gene

which includes one of my favorite HP 65 programs:

Business Functions

as well as these:

HP-65 TVM - I% Known | HP-65 TVM - I% Unknown
HP-65 Game of Craps! | HP-65 Lunar Lander! | HP-65 Tic-Tac-Toe!
HP-65 Bagels! | HP-65 High-Low! | HP-65 Eleven-thirty Game!
HP-65 Ping Pong Game! | HP-65 Viking Lander! | HP-65 Chuck-a-luck!

Hi Gene, I just pasted Business Functions into RPN-65 Pro. A remarkably powerful program indeed! Example 3 wouldn't run correctly at first, until I found out the instructions are wrong. Instead of "2. Key 250, ENTER, 80, RTN, R/S" they should read "2. Key 250, ENTER, 80, RTN, D".
09-06-2015, 09:15 PM
(09-06-2015 05:14 PM)Namir Wrote:  Regarding my request for an HP-25C emulator, maybe an HP-33C emulator would be better since it supports subroutines. You can of course add GSB and RTN as [g]-shifts for the [STO] and [RCL] keys of the HP-25C, respectively. One choice is to make the GSB line-numbered oriented (like an HP33C) or add LBL (as [g]-shift and [STO]) with support for labels 0 to 9.

I hope I m not taking too much liberty in asking you for these emulators. It should go with out any question that they are for pay.

Namir

Namir, I would agree that an emulator of the HP-33C would be a better choice than the HP-25. We already have a decent iOS emulator for the 25 (GO-25), which allows saving and importing programs, but currently nobody offers any iOS emulators for the Spice Series. Any of the programmable Spices would be desirable. The top of my wish list is one for the HP-38C Financial programmable, especially if it offers a way to save and load programs.

A few years back emulators were offered for a very short time for the Spice series, but they didn't have the ability to save/load programs nor were they photorealistic.

Incidentally, now, with the HP-65 emulator, the complete Classic series has iOS emulators. Cuvee emulates 4 of them and the two others (55 & 80) are available from Amelo Consulting.

Regards,
Bob
09-06-2015, 10:26 PM
(09-06-2015 09:15 PM)bshoring Wrote:  A few years back emulators were offered for a very short time for the Spice series, but they didn't have the ability to save/load programs nor were they photorealistic.

But they provide a debugger which is nice if you want to know what is going on under the hood: just double-click the display to start it.

Cheers
Thomas
09-07-2015, 02:31 AM
Just bought it. Thanks.
09-07-2015, 03:36 PM
(09-07-2015 02:31 AM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  Just bought it. Thanks.

My turn to say thank you.

Just found a small issue in RPN-65 Pro: D.MS results should be rounded to seconds, i.e. D.MMSS0000, at least in vintage mode. Will be implemented in an update.
09-11-2015, 12:18 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 12:20 AM by Matt Agajanian.)
(09-04-2015 03:39 AM)Namir Wrote:  F A N T A S T I C!!!! I will get a copy when I return home on two days! You are the best programmer!!

Namir

Having downloaded it and trying it out a few hours ago, I second that vote!
09-11-2015, 02:31 PM
I'm very happy with my CuVee Vintage 45. It fits well on my old iphone4's small screen.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)