AS small alphanumeric signs
08-30-2015, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2015 02:20 PM by tigger.)
AS small alphanumeric signs
Whenever I put 'A' 'B' 'C' on the stack. These three letters appear on the stack, after keying ENTER.

Whenever I put 'a' 'b' 'c' on the stack (small letters). The numbers 1, -1, -1 appear on the stack, after keying ENTER.

How can I get small letters on the stack?

Did I save numbers for these small letters in the stack? How did I do this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2015, 03:35 AM
RE: AS small alphanumeric signs
(08-30-2015 12:19 PM)tigger Wrote:  Whenever I put 'A' 'B' 'C' on the stack. These three letters appear on the stack, after keying ENTER.

Whenever I put 'a' 'b' 'c' on the stack (small letters). The numbers 1, -1, -1 appear on the stack, after keying ENTER.

How can I get small letters on the stack?

Did I save numbers for these small letters in the stack? How did I do this?

Try the VAR key. See that menu label that looks like [ a ]? That's your 'a' variable. Yes, you (or a program you ran) created it. If you want to put 'a' on the stack without evaluating it, just type it inside single quotes. That's what the ['] key is for: entering variable names without executing them.

Did you read the section in your manual about variables? If not, please do. (This is known as a "preemptive strike").

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-31-2015, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2015 08:44 AM by tigger.)
Hi Joe,
thank you very much for your answer.
I tried this page
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00554621.pdf
but I could not find the word "preemptive value".

Even with the find-function I did not succed to find something about "preemptive value".

Could you give me any link or reference where I could read something about it?

In the var key I can not find my variables 'a' , 'b' or 'c'.
Why did it work before with small letters on the stack? What dit I do (wrong), so that I get numbers for instead of letters?
I used the small letters for fomulars. I had a program "+". I put a and b on the stack. I got the answer "a+b" on the stack.
08-31-2015, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2015 09:56 AM by brickviking.)
(08-31-2015 08:30 AM)tigger Wrote:  Hi Joe,
thank you very much for your answer.
I tried this page
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00554621.pdf
but I could not find the word "preemptive value".

Even with the find-function I did not succed to find something about "preemptive value".

When Joe refers to "pre-emptive strike", what they mean is this: to answer most of the questions you are likely to have, read those manuals. For example, the manuals describe what variables are, and what certain variables (TPAR, ZPAR, PPAR) are used for. The manuals also come in other languages, so if you are having trouble understanding the English manual, you may be able to find a manual in your native language. Your profile says you're in Europe, but that covers a lot of languages, so I can't tell you which to get. Instead, I'll give you a link I found:

HP-50G manuals - choose your native language. I hope this helps you. Unfortunately, I can only find the Advanced User's Reference in English.

(Post 9)

Regards, BrickViking
08-31-2015, 12:56 PM
(08-31-2015 08:30 AM)tigger Wrote:  In the var key I can not find my variables 'a' , 'b' or 'c'.

If you are working on a subdirectory, check the parent directories, as variables will be searched for in the current directory, and all its parents all the way up to HOME.
So if you don't find the variable in VARS, do UPDIR and see if they are there, and keep looking until you get to HOME.
I bet you left those defined in one of the parents.
09-01-2015, 08:46 AM
(08-31-2015 12:56 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(08-31-2015 08:30 AM)tigger Wrote:  In the var key I can not find my variables 'a' , 'b' or 'c'.

If you are working on a subdirectory, check the parent directories, as variables will be searched for in the current directory, and all its parents all the way up to HOME.
So if you don't find the variable in VARS, do UPDIR and see if they are there, and keep looking until you get to HOME.
I bet you left those defined in one of the parents.

I know the manual describes this pretty well, but here's what I currently do as a brand-new user to see all my defined variables. I turn on the calculator, I then hit Left-Shift, Files. That screen shows me a list of subdirectories, and the one I'm currently in is selected. If your cursor is not on Home, move the pointer to Home and hit F6. The Right-Arrow key on the cursor pad also does the same thing as F6.

You should then be shown a list of variables and subdirectories defined in Home. To view variables in another directory, hit the Left-Arrow to return to the list of subdirectories, choose another directory and hit F6 or Right-Arrow.

If you wish to change to a specific subdirectory, hit Left-Arrow again to get into the list of directories, then select the subdirectory you want. Hit F1, this will change your home screen to use that subdirectory's variables and any variables in parent directories. You will then be left at the calculator's starting screen, showing the stack.

If you hit the VAR key now, you'll see up to six of the variables in that directory. It will not show you variables from the parent directory on the softkeys. If you want to see other variables in that subdirectory (if you have defined more than six variables), hit NXT. You will then see the next six variables if any more than six exist. To see variables from parent directories, you have to change directories to the parent of your current directory.

Please ask if you need better explanations. The manual describes all this, I hope I've helped out.

(Post 10)
Regards, BrickViking
09-01-2015, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2015 09:53 AM by tigger.)
Thank you for your help.
I am in the home Directory. In my home drictory I have many subdirectories. In more than one I used the variables a, b, c (samll letters). These have all different values then the ones which I will get after I put 'a' 'b' 'c' in the stack on the bottom line.

As well I have capital letters in at least one subdirectory. But the HP does not show any numbers after entering those letters in the bottom line. I enter A SPC B SPC C then I hit enter. I get all three [b]capital [/b]letters on the Display.

Why did it work [b]before[/b]? So what did I change?

I have not succed to find a chapter in the Manual:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00748644
Could you write a key word under which I can find the chapter I am looking for. There I might find some good examples and explanations.
09-01-2015, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2015 09:43 PM by brickviking.)
(09-01-2015 09:26 AM)tigger Wrote:  Thank you for your help.
I am in the home Directory. In my home drictory I have many subdirectories. In more than one I used the variables a, b, c (samll letters). These have all different values then the ones which I will get after I put 'a' 'b' 'c' in the stack on the bottom line.

As well I have capital letters in at least one subdirectory. But the HP does not show any numbers after entering those letters in the bottom line. I enter A SPC B SPC C then I hit enter. I get all three [b]capital [/b]letters on the Display.

Why did it work [b]before[/b]? So what did I change?

I have not succed to find a chapter in the Manual:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00748644
Could you write a key word under which I can find the chapter I am looking for. There I might find some good examples and explanations.

Variables in subdirectories aren't visible to your session if you're in the Home directory. In that case, you get just the variables in the Home directory. If you hit the VAR key, you can page through all the variables in the Home directory by using NXT key. If you only have six (or less) variables, then NXT won't seem to do anything. Do you see a, b, or c on your softkeys anywhere when you check out all the variables? Also, what's in the top two lines of your calculator? I have this:

Code:

RAD XYZ  DEC C~ 'X'
{HOME}                         09:39  02:SEP

That {HOME} tells me I'm in the Home directory. I have also had {HOME rplprgtut} in that space when I've been in the rplprgtut directory (one I created).

(Post 12)

Regards, BrickViking
09-03-2015, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2015 09:49 AM by tigger.)
Thanks for your answer.
How could you manage to put that Picture in the Forum?

Lets say there is the

HOME
with subdirectory A
A has the súbdirectory B
B has the subdirectory C

Whenever I have assigned Variables (x, y, Z) in Home I have These variables in A, in B and in C, too.
I can neither assigne those varialbes (x, y, z) in A nor B nor C.

x, y, z are called global variables?

I can not find something in the user Manual to read about it. Could you give some keywords to search it or links which lead me to the pages in user Manual.
09-03-2015, 12:40 PM
(09-03-2015 08:27 AM)tigger Wrote:  Thanks for your answer.
How could you manage to put that Picture in the Forum?

Lets say there is the

HOME
with subdirectory A
A has the súbdirectory B
B has the subdirectory C

Whenever I have assigned Variables (x, y, Z) in Home I have These variables in A, in B and in C, too.
I can neither assigne those varialbes (x, y, z) in A nor B nor C.

x, y, z are called global variables?

I can not find something in the user Manual to read about it. Could you give some keywords to search it or links which lead me to the pages in user Manual.

Not quite. The x, y, and z variables aren't in the directories A, B, or C, but they are visible from those directories. If you went into, say, directory B and stored something in y, there would now be a new variable named y in the directory B. This particular y would be visible from within B and C, but in A or HOME, the name would reference the variable y that's in HOME.

When reading a variable, the calculator will work its way up the directory tree all the way to HOME until it finds it (or if it doesn't find it, will either put the unresolved name on the stack or spit out an error depending on what you're trying to do). When storing a variable, it will always store to a (potentially new) variable within the current directory only.

This glosses over some details like specifying explicit paths, or working with local variables within a program, but that's the basic idea.
09-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Would you mind making a "schematic" or a Picture.
I do not get it.

Imagine I have stairs. The top stair is A, the next below is B and the bettom is C. Every stair should equal to a subdirectory. On every step you can find a variable. Imagine I am on the stair A and I look down.

On step A there is x.
On step B there is y.
On step Cthere is z.
Which variables do I see.

Imagine I am on the stair B (or in the subdirectory B) which variables do I see if I looked down (in the subdirectoy C) which variables do I see if I looked up.

Imagine I am on the stair C (or in the subdirectory C) which variables do I see if I lookel up (to the subdirectory B and then to the subdirectory C).

You might have a better example besides stairs?

Besides you might tell me how to send Pictures. I could exlain my Problems better with Pictures.
09-03-2015, 03:46 PM
(09-03-2015 02:52 PM)tigger Wrote:  Would you mind making a "schematic" or a Picture.

There's one in the File Manager that's built into your 50g: just press the FILES key (that's left-shift APPS), and look below Home. You'll see a nice graphic that shows your entire directory tree structure, with the current directory highlighted. I highly suggest creating several directories, with subdirectories in some of them, and looking at the result in the filer. (Note: Pressing the FILES key executes a programmable command called FILER, so people often refer to the File Manager as "the filer".) While in the filer, pressing the CHDIR menu key changes the current path to the highlighted directory, and pressing the right and left cursor keys let you navigate into and out of directories. Pressing MODE while in a directory displays the current path in the status area.

Also, have you noticed that the current PATH is also displayed in the status area above the stack? For example, if you are currently in the B subdirectory of the A directory which is in Home, then you'll see {HOME A B} near the upper left corner of your display. That's a sort of pictorial representation of where you are in your current directory structure. Very helpful.

(09-03-2015 02:52 PM)tigger Wrote:  Imagine I have stairs. The top stair is A, the next below is B and the bettom is C. Every stair should equal to a subdirectory. On every step you can find a variable. Imagine I am on the stair A and I look down.

On step A there is x.
On step B there is y.
On step Cthere is z.
Which variables do I see.

Imagine I am on the stair B (or in the subdirectory B) which variables do I see if I looked down (in the subdirectoy C) which variables do I see if I looked up.

Imagine I am on the stair C (or in the subdirectory C) which variables do I see if I lookel up (to the subdirectory B and then to the subdirectory C).

You might have a better example besides stairs?

You don't say whether A, B and C are all in Home, or whether C is in B, B is in A, and only A is in Home. The latter would be more like "stairs", so I'll assume that's what you meant. (If they were all in Home, then they would be on the same level, which is not like stairs at all). So we have this structure:

Home contains one object, a directory called A.
A contains two objects: x (any type of object) and B (a directory).
B contains two objects: y (any type of object) and C (a directory).
C contains one object: z (any type of object).

If the current PATH is {HOME A B}, then pressing VAR would show y and C. From that path, you can recall A, x, B, y, and C, but not z. You can only store directly into y. (You can store into any variable in any path if you specify the path when storing). You cannot store into C because RPL doesn't let you overwrite a directory without PGDIR'ing it first.

You ask what happens when you look up or look down from each stair. RCL only looks upwards in your current path (towards HOME); RCL never looks the other direction.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
09-04-2015, 08:54 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2015 08:55 AM by tigger.)
Let me see how I did it and hope we might get a good result: Maybe I might arrange it in another way. You might propose a better way.

So far I have:
Home: A, B, C,a,b, c
A: B,a,b
B: C
C:c

a, b, c: variables
A, B, C: subdirectories

What do see, if I typed a
1. in the home
2. in A
3. in B
4. in C

Well what I would like to know is: The value of a in HOME could difers to the value of a in A (like it is in HP)?
09-04-2015, 09:41 AM
(09-04-2015 08:54 AM)tigger Wrote:  Let me see how I did it and hope we might get a good result: Maybe I might arrange it in another way. You might propose a better way.

So far I have:
Home: A, B, C,a,b, c
A: B,a,b
B: C
C:c

a, b, c: variables
A, B, C: subdirectories

What do see, if I typed a
1. in the home
2. in A
3. in B
4. in C

Well what I would like to know is: The value of a in HOME could difers to the value of a in A (like it is in HP)?

If you're in HOME, you'll see the HOME copy of a, b and c. All three vars will show up when you hit VAR.

If you're in A, VAR will show you A's copy of a and b. If you ask for c, you'll get the HOME copy of c, even though it won't show up in VAR.

If you're in B, you'll see no variables. However, the calculator will search in A for variables if it doesn't find them in B. As a result, the calculator will be able to access A's copy of a, b and HOME's copy of c, even though they're not in B.

If you're in C, you'll see the C copy of the c variable, and that's the only variable that shows in VAR. But, your calculator will look in B for a and b, won't find them, so it'll then look in A and find a and b.

The following table might explain better (H stands for HOME).
Code:

| Original Place | What VAR shows | Where var comes from |
-------------------------------------------------------
|     HOME:     |     Ha, Hb, Hc  |     Ha, Hb, Hc       |
|       A:      |      Aa, Ab     |     Aa, Ab, Hc       |
|       B:      |                 |     Aa, Ab, Hc       |
|       C:      |        Cc       |     Aa, Ab, Cc       |
-------------------------------------------------------

To be fair, that's a slightly complicated example compared to what I have, but probably not unrealistic.

(Post 15)

Regards, BrickViking
09-05-2015, 02:56 PM
thanks to all of you,
I think I am on the right track.
I have to try some more times.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)