Hp prime Copy and pasting problems
07-24-2015, 11:09 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2015 09:38 PM by pr011235.)
Hp prime Copy and pasting problems
Does any one know why the HP prime copy and paste function does not work properly. For example when I copy and past form the spreadsheet to the statistics 1 var app nothing happens. Perhaps there is a work around that will allow me to avoid this problem or another firmware that I can download.

Please note that i am using Software version: 2015 6 17 (8151)
Hardware Version: A
CAS Version: 1.1.2-11
Operating System: 4CY35605VB
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2015, 06:06 PM
RE: Hp prime Copy and pasting problems
Works ok here. I have the same firmware version as you. Are you sure you properly
selected the cells in the spreadsheet?
07-25-2015, 09:52 PM
Thanks for responding, I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong, however I should have pointed out that when I copy from statistic 1 or 2 Var apps and paste to the spreadsheet app that everything works fine. The problem persists when when I reverse the direction, and copy from the spreadsheet and paste to the statistics 1 or 2 Var apps. I should also note that this problem does not occur with the HP Prime emulator.
07-27-2015, 07:52 AM
Hello,

It should work fine with the latest version of the firmware. Can you please check your firmware version (help, tree, shift up, down, enter)?

Cyrille
08-05-2015, 08:26 PM
It's with values larger than 999, for example if you copy the column 7328 7588 9999 5673 frum the spreadsheet app, and past the column to one of the statistical app then nothing will happen. However if the same is done with the column 328 588 999 673 then the amount is pasted to the apps quite nicely.
08-05-2015, 08:58 PM
(08-05-2015 08:26 PM)pr011235 Wrote:  It's with values larger than 999, for example if you copy the column 7328 7588 9999 5673 frum the spreadsheet app, and past the column to one of the statistical app then nothing will happen. However if the same is done with the column 328 588 999 673 then the amount is pasted to the apps quite nicely.

I confirm this behaviour, 3 digit numbers transferred correctly, 4 digit numbers would not appear.

Version: 2015 6 17 (8151)
08-07-2015, 05:21 AM
So, pr011235, you have announced a bug & no one says thank you.

Could you, John Colvin, try the procedure in posting #5 & see if you replicate the results both pr011235 & I obtained?

Does cyrille de brebisson's "It should work fine ...." express his belief the correct results should be returned or that he actually took out the calculator & tried to accomplish the actions you describe?

Disappointing that other members neither corroborate nor refute the bug - perhaps they're so used to the presence of multiple problems they take no notice? Or perhaps no one has time for difficult operations such as you describe?

All in all a sad state of affairs & the bug will remain unknown.
08-07-2015, 06:19 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2015 06:26 AM by Thomas_Sch.)
(08-07-2015 05:21 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  ..
Disappointing that other members neither corroborate nor refute the bug - perhaps they're so used to the presence of multiple problems they take no notice? Or perhaps no one has time for difficult operations such as you describe?

All in all a sad state of affairs & the bug will remain unknown.
Dear Gerald,
in my opinion, the behavior described is not traceable simply because of the message.
For me it is incomprehensible, what the user is describing.

He wrote:
"It's with values larger than 999, for example if you copy the column 7328 7588 9999 5673 frum the spreadsheet app, and past the column to one of the statistical app then nothing will happen. However if the same is done with the column 328 588 999 673 then the amount is pasted to the apps quite nicely. "

But what does "column 7328 7588 9999 5673" really mean?
Is this a value? Are this many vaulues in a row?
What are the settings of the Prime?
Which "Digit Grouping" variant is choosen?
So many questions.
There are no screenshots, or other helpful details.

Maybe the thread starter could give additional and more detailed informations, so that other Prime users could check his situation.
How did you check, what are your settings?
08-07-2015, 06:56 AM
I disagree with you, Thomas.

While it would be convenient for the presenter of the problem to specify all parameters the point is that such behaviour on the part of the calculator is simply wrong under any settings.

"Are this many values in a row?"

No, they were specified as a column.

On reading posting #5 I picked up the calculator, changed no settings (I know not whether they are the same as pr011235's) & produced the same aberrant behaviour.

(Elucidation for those not understanding "in a column":

The first value goes in A1, the second in A2, the third in A3 & the fourth in A4.)

You make demands on the discoverer of the problem, God knows how ignorant he is but that doesn't matter - He's found a problem that the more knowledgeable should look at.

What about demands on everyone interested in the calculator, in particular the designers?

Have you, Thomas, yourself tried the operation in posting #5?
08-07-2015, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2015 07:03 AM by Arno K.)
Quote:So, pr011235, you have announced a bug & no one says thank you.

Could you, John Colvin, try the procedure in posting #5 & see if you replicate the results both pr011235 & I obtained?

Does cyrille de brebisson's "It should work fine ...." express his belief the correct results should be returned or that he actually took out the calculator & tried to accomplish the actions you describe?

All in all a sad state of affairs & the bug will remain unknown
Wow Gerald,
harshly spoken, but you are right, nobody really seems to bother when a new bug is found, I must admit that I myself usually only look at faults that are of a concern to me. Perhaps we all should work differently in case a new bug is announced, but, if you look at my post in Bug? in Instruction , there was not a single reply, and I even posted the program in which that mistake occurred at the same time so that everybody interested could use that to check..., well, somehow I got it to work. I was SLIGHTLY disappointed....
Well, to the copy bug here, I really have never used the spreadsheet before but decided to give it a try: I entered the data given: 7328... in one column and 328... to another one, went to the first cell of the column, pushed select, went down to the end of the column, pushed enter, then copy, opened Statistics1Var, went to the desired starting point, pushed paste and so was able to get both columns copied, one after the other, I did this on the real calc with newest firmware. So no problem for me, but perhaps this is not the way of copying that is wanted here.
Arno
08-07-2015, 07:18 AM
Thank you, Arno, for trying the procedure pr011235 described - I have repeated the procedure & still observe the aberrant behaviour.

I regret members don't respond with more support.

I am not particularly interested in the Prime, in fact I've written it off. I just noticed the indifference given to pr011235 &, as the problem seemed to me simple & easily tested, decided to try to offer some support.

I never noticed your report - sadly no one interested in the Prime was bothered either.
08-07-2015, 07:33 AM
Well Gerald, "written it off", that is the point I still have not really reached, but getting closer, every time I want to do something I encounter some problem, if the Prime was slower and had a crappier keyboard (the one of my 49G+ has two defective keys and is very slow). Yesterday I made a program for numeric integration with input of the expression, a, b, and n; I ended with one simple program and four cas-programs to get that done, worked then, but messing up memory with unnecessary subroutines.
I still hope for a full implementation of rpn.
Arno
08-07-2015, 07:45 AM
(08-07-2015 06:59 AM)Arno K Wrote:  ...I entered the data given: 7328... in one column and 328... to another one, went to the first cell of the column, pushed select, went down to the end of the column, pushed enter, then copy, opened Statistics1Var, went to the desired starting point, pushed paste and so was able to get both columns copied, one after the other, I did this on the real calc with newest firmware. So no problem for me, but perhaps this is not the way of copying that is wanted here.
Arno

@ Gerald, Arno, pr011235, HP:
As i wrote, the original post was hard to understand (only for me?).
Thanks to Arno, writing the steps clearly down, now i could try this also.

My settings:
software 8151 - virtual prime - Digit Grouping: 123,456.789 - language: English
1) Entries to spreadsheet:
A1..A4: 7328 / 7588 / 9999 / 5673
B1..B4: 328 / 588 / 999 / 673
Selecting A1 .. B4, Copy
Choosing App 'Statistics 1Var', going to D1, Paste: Value,
Result: column D1 is unchanged, only values from B1..B4 are copied to D2.
2) changed settings: Digit Grouping: 123'456.789/ sames procedure: only B1..B4 copied
3) changed settings: Digit Grouping: 123 456.789/ sames procedure: only B1..B4 copied
4) changed settings: Digit Grouping: 123456.789/ sames procedure, all copied
5) changed settings: Digit Grouping: 123.456,789/ sames procedure, only B1..B4 copied

It seems, that the error is depending on the Digit Grouping choosen.
Could you please check again?
Many thanks in advance!
08-07-2015, 07:52 AM
So clearly it worked for me as I have switched off digit grouping.
Arno
08-07-2015, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2015 08:19 AM by Thomas_Sch.)
Someone (possibly the user 'pr011235' ?) did also start a thread at the HP Support Forums (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Calculators...-Handhelds),
see this thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Calculators...-p/5164607

There the same temporary solution has been posted:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Calculators...6109#M3386

To Tim & Co: it's a bug!

Edit: added this to tricider (http://www.tricider.com/brainstorming/2e...d=noscript)
08-07-2015, 08:25 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2015 08:35 AM by Gerald H.)
Thank you, Thomas, for giving the matter far more consideration than I have.

& what of cyrille de brebisson?

"It should work fine ...." is somewhat oracular: I find the answer characteristic of inertial complacence, or if you prefer complacent inertia, take your pick.
08-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Yes, Thomas, with your Digit Grouping#4 the transfer was OK for both 3 & 4 digit numbers.
08-07-2015, 12:01 PM
To HP, Tim & Co: it's a bug!

please see previous post
08-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Yes, there appears to be another issue related to digit grouping.

I do not spend my day hanging out on this forum and responding to everything. There are many other things consuming my time each day. My managers and the organization as a whole does highly regard the direct interactions we can have with real end users though, and so I am directed to monitor and interact with people in groups as _part_ of my daily responsibilities.

Also note that part of the conditions in being allowed to participate anywhere online according to HP's "social media policy" is to "avoid confrontations and heated discussions". Thus if there is loudness in the thread, the chances of me sticking my foot in anywhere heads downwards rather quickly. I also don't respond or interact with people that are normally hostile or seeking conflict for the same reason. It just isn't allowed.

As for the Instruction thing Arno, I do apologize for not shooting you a note. It was entered in with a "investigate this and categorize it" tag back when you brought it up. However, especially right after a release the chances of it being looked at and resolved immediately are quite low. I usally try to respond to something once it has been verified one way or another.

Usually, there are already many things underway in preparation for future product/updates/activites and time is not being spent at that moment in looking at potential issues. Being right in the middle of the whole company split thing also has created a lot of internal chaos in the form of additional work, moving offices, moving test labs, personnel changes, IT changes and so on for the company as a whole.

While that isn't an excuse for me forgetting to shoot a message to you, I hope you understand it wasn't an intentional slight or anything. I try my best, but unfortunately I am only one sad little human with too much passion for what he does. Sad

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
08-07-2015, 02:58 PM
As you seem to have problems copying and pasting depending on how the number is displayed rather than its value, you might also want to check whether or not you are losing precision with reals.
Eg copy and pAste 3.14159 with fix 2, do you get 3.14

I have no prime to test this myself.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)