Top bar changed from blue to orange
07-23-2015, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 10:14 PM by jacq1960.)
Top bar changed from blue to orange
Hi All,

I just bought the Prime last week and while I was getting to know the new system the top menu bar which use to be blue changed to orange.

All the top menu items changed to orange as well.

I've done a factory reset and it still hasn't changed back to blue.

Could anyone please help me return it to blue?

Thanks in advance
Jacqueline
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2015, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 10:37 AM by DrD.)
RE: To bar changed from blue to orange
You are in exam mode. Connect to USB to end the exam mode and return to normal mode.

<You entered exam mode by changing the configuration in HOME | Settings | Basic Mode, and selecting the black soft key [Start]. Connecting to your attached USB cable will reset the configuration back to Basic Mode>.
07-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Does this mean that if you are away from your PC - attending an exam perhaps! - and you accidentally do this you canot reset the calculator to a functional state?

And when you say you need a USB cable, will connecting it to any PC do? Or a Raspberry Pi? Or a USB charger? Or has it got to be a PC running Windows with HP connectivity software installed, which would clearly make fixing the calculator much more difficult?

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-23-2015, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 03:56 PM by DrD.)
For the best information on this, please see the user guide. You can cancel it using a password, but the original poster seemed to be looking for a quick way to return to normal mode, and connecting the usb cable does the job. Otherwise, just wait for the exam timeout period to expire.
07-23-2015, 10:18 PM
RE: Top bar changed from blue to orange
Dear DrD

Thanks a million for your advice which worked a treat! At this moment you are my personal hero.

I didn't actually put the Prime in exam mode, I was trying to find a way of putting a non numeric item in a matrix when it suddenly reset. After it recovered, it went into exam mode on its own.

Yes, just attaching the USB cable and plugging it into my MAC which did not have connectivity kit fixed it immediately.

Thanks!
Jacqualine
07-24-2015, 09:27 AM
It's likely that connecting the calculator to any USB host can get it out of the exam mode.
I did that, for testing purposes, on this computer running Linux and therefore obviously not any kind of official communication software. test_hpcalcs was not running either.
07-27-2015, 07:56 AM
Hello,

They are 2 types of exam modes:
- The default, non configurable exam mode
Erases the memory
blinks the LED
can only be exited by connecting the calculator as a USB slave to a USB host.
- The configurable exam mode; can be exited through
Timeout (if enabled)
Password (if enabled)
Connection to programming PC

Cyrille
11-02-2015, 05:09 AM
How to exit Exam Mode (Basic Mode) on android?

On third page of Home Setting I accidentally tapped 'Start' softkey instead of 'Esc' button which is right below the 'Start' softkey. On display I see 'Connect USB to end Exam Mode' but this does nothing.

Is there other solution to end Exam Mode then resetting calculator and lost all user data? If no then move 'Start' soft button somewhere else. Putting canceling and blocking buttons right next to each other is practical joke.

Prime, 15C CE
11-02-2015, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 07:20 PM by Tim Wessman.)
When you tapped start, the data was already lost and gone (it wipes at that point, not when "exited"). Nothing to be done about that at this point. I hope you didn't lose much. :-(

As for the design, I agree it isn't ideal. Unfortunately, there are competing desires going on around the exam mode where proctors WANT it to be simple and single step to get in. Users might not want that however.

To get out of exam mode, you will have to slide the menu out from the left and do a reset.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
11-02-2015, 11:21 PM
(11-02-2015 07:19 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  ... proctors WANT it to be simple and single step to get in.

Then move 'Start' softbutton to the most left location which is empty, please. It still will be simple and single step to get in.

Prime, 15C CE
11-03-2015, 02:38 AM
It isn't empty though. Every menu position in that menu is filled with something. Anyway, this is already on the list of things to look at and come up with a solution.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
11-03-2015, 09:04 AM
Thank you, Tim.

Prime, 15C CE
11-05-2015, 06:53 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2015 07:17 AM by chromos.)
Sorry for continuing...
There is no simple way how to import programs into android phone (or tablet). But there is one click way (without confirmation dialog OK/Cancel) how to wipe my calculator. Even accidentally thanks to 'Esc' and 'Start' buttons layout.

I understand that HP are trying to break TI hegemony in education system, but what is the point to have Exam Mode on android phone? Are smartphones approved for students exams? Dear devs: what about disabling the whole Exam mode on android app?

Prime is the best calculator I ever had. But very annoying way how to load programs into it is frustrating. Possibility of one click wipe is frustrating even more.

Prime, 15C CE

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)