PSO for the HP Prime's Solver??
06-29-2015, 11:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 12:58 AM by Namir.)
PSO for the HP Prime's Solver??
While preparing for my talk at HHC2015, I was studying Generic Algorithms (GA) using Excel VBA and Matlab before I port the VBA code to the HP Prime. I also took a look at Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) and found a lot of Matlab code in books, in Mathwork's File Exchange web pages, and the Internet at large. I decided to write Excel VBA code for PSO to get a better feel for things. I was blown away how PSO has outmatchod the GA method. PSO's success comes at requiring fewer parameters AND giving accurate results (not approximate ones usually given by the GA methods).

I think the HP Prime can benefit from an implementation of the PSO algorithm for its Solver, especially when it comes to solving the roots of 3,4, or even more non-linear equations. Tim, I hope you are reading this!!

Namir
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 01:33 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2015 01:34 AM by factor.)
RE: PSO for the HP Prime's Solver??
Agreed! Not familiar with PSO myself but given it outperforms GA then it is a very good choice to be added!

I have been longing for a calculator solver that works like the one in Excel (staring from Excel 2010, GA is included as one of the algorithms for optimization in its solver).

Currently choices available to me on calculator for optimization are limited to programs that run simplex method for linear, and nelder-mead for non-linear. Something built-in on calculator that works like and used like the solver in Excel will definitely be very advantageous and attractive, not to mention the horsepower of the calculator hardware today should be ready for this.

So yes please!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)