Prime down
06-24-2015, 08:06 PM
Prime down
My Prime, which worked perfectly yesterday, battery was full, holds it's charge well, won't turn on today. Won't come on plugged into computer on USB either. Took battery out, put it back in...no luck. Amazingly, HP support told me that they did away with repairs...once out of warranty (which is my case), out of luck (they just sell the devices, that's all).

Has anybody had this problem? Is there a fix?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2015, 09:15 PM
RE: Prime down
(06-24-2015 08:06 PM)lrdheat Wrote:  My Prime, which worked perfectly yesterday, battery was full, holds it's charge well, won't turn on today. Won't come on plugged into computer on USB either. Took battery out, put it back in...no luck. Amazingly, HP support told me that they did away with repairs...once out of warranty (which is my case), out of luck (they just sell the devices, that's all).

Has anybody had this problem? Is there a fix?

For a company like HP, the man-hours spent on fault-finding a non-working unit is not worth the price of a new one, i.e. when it's out of warranty they would charge you more to repair it than the cost a new one.

However, it would be useful if there were parts for sale so that private repairers can do it, as is the case with mobile phones.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-25-2015, 02:01 AM
Don't give up hope just yet. Search for dead prime on this forum for possible things to try.
06-25-2015, 05:00 AM
Hello,

Have you tried removing the battery and then connecting USB (ie, work on USB power alone)?

Cyrille
06-27-2015, 02:13 AM
My Prime works with USB cable with, and without the battery, but will not come on without being plugged in.

If it is the battery, is there a recommended battery pack (tech support said they don't sell batteries, and could not recommend an equivalent)?

Does this sound like a bad battery? The battery had been showing a full charge immediately prior to the problem, and had been holding it's charge very well.
06-27-2015, 02:27 AM
I just noticed something fishy...before the problem, the battery level icon would show a yellow lightning symbol of some sort showing that the Prime was plugged in. Now, it just shows the battery full symbol with no indication that it is plugged in.

Any thoughts?
06-27-2015, 07:21 AM
(06-27-2015 02:13 AM)lrdheat Wrote:  If it is the battery, is there a recommended battery pack (tech support said they don't sell batteries, and could not recommend an equivalent)?

Maybe not recommended, but the Samsung S3 battery should do the job. Please see this thread http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-65-...ml#pid3556

Cheers, Terje
06-27-2015, 07:22 AM
(06-27-2015 02:13 AM)lrdheat Wrote:  ..
If it is the battery, is there a recommended battery pack (tech support said they don't sell batteries, and could not recommend an equivalent)?
Tim wrote: It is the same electrically and physically as a galaxy S3 battery - the standard size not the double thickness extended life. However, the battery that comes with Prime has less capacity at 1500mah vs 2100-2200 range for the S3.
(from http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-151...l#pid35690)
06-27-2015, 05:32 PM
The battery pack must have been the problem...Prime working on new Galaxy S3 battery!
06-27-2015, 06:51 PM
(06-27-2015 05:32 PM)lrdheat Wrote:  The battery pack must have been the problem...Prime working on new Galaxy S3 battery!

Wow, that's great. Interesting how it will not power up via USB without a good battery.

(Caution, silly part follows)
Be sure to check if there is an NFC antenna in the battery. You don't want the government spying on your calculationsSmile
http://www.slashgear.com/no-your-phones-...-24390408/
07-08-2015, 06:31 PM
Good news on it just being the battery. Whilst I didn't have any problems, I bought the GS3 battery for the extra juice (not that I necessarily need it, but you know...) and keep the original charged up as a spare in the bag.

For anyone else taking the leap buying these, you want the *genuine* GS3 battery to be guaranteed to get what's on the label. There are many, many aftermarket GS3 batteries going very cheap, and mileage will vary in quality.
07-08-2015, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2015 07:13 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Good news that your Prime is working again...
Bad news if the Prime won't run on USB once the batteries are unobtainable.

Other readers having similar problems should also consider checking the USB connector.

On mobile phones it is possible to insert the cable upside down damaging the connector.
I have seen no reference to this on calculator forums but have seen a few damaged phones. These often report Charging when not plugged in, and either won't charge or charge slowly or intermittently when they are plugged in.

If charging from a PC rather than a wall unit, these are often configured to drop Power if the PC is idle. Simply pressing the keyboard on the PC may give another few minutes of charge - or the configuration could be changed to keep USB powered.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
05-16-2023, 01:57 AM
RE:Dead Prime
My Prime is dead, I was charging it last night and now it won’t turn on.
I have pressed the three keys and the reset hole but nothing.
Plugging in the USB cable does nothing, nor does removing the battery.

I cannot register the device with HP, it says invalid serial number.
I suspect it’s an expendible device.

Are there any steps that I might have overlooked?

It is a v2 but if it won’t turn on that is irrelevant.

Thanks,

Daryl.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)