Cheap RPN calculator
06-20-2015, 08:41 PM
Cheap RPN calculator
Howdy,

I already have an old 48, 49g+ (broken - of course), 50g, Prime. But I wish a ultra simple one to have around just because rpn rocks.

Any advice on which one to get? (best if is available internationally)

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2015, 09:29 PM
RE: Cheap RPN calculator
(06-20-2015 08:41 PM)eried Wrote:  Howdy,

I already have an old 48, 49g+ (broken - of course), 50g, Prime. But I wish a ultra simple one to have around just because rpn rocks.

You could get a 12c, of course, unless you need scientific functions too. It is pure RPN. Or if you want scientific, I don't think you can beat the 32s or 32sii.
Find all posts by this user
06-20-2015, 09:45 PM
You said cheap so it would have to be an HP 33s. They are cheap because everyone thinks they are ugly and also many don't like the chevron keyboard. I have a few stashed everywhere, just to pick up for a quick calculation.
06-20-2015, 10:09 PM
Thanks both for the suggestions, although all these models are more expensive than the prime in ebay (due shipping reqs.) :/

06-20-2015, 10:20 PM
You'd like the 34s and someone of your abilities will be able to make one, if you can still find a 20b or 30b down there. Keep an eye out in the Mercado Bio Bio.
It has binary, octal decimal & hex too.
06-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Let's see, the cheapest RPN options will generally all be financial/business models. The 12C and 17BII are probably the most affordable, and the 17BII solver lets you do some surprisingly complex "programming". Watch out for the 17B, though, as it has no RPN.

Stepping up slightly, you could consider the 19BII (again, the 19B has no RPN), or the 95LX palmtop. Both of those are getting you considerably more than the features of a basic calculator, which may adversely affect the value proposition for you.

I don't remember if the 35S is discontinued, but if you're okay with the unfortunate amount of bugs, it might be a good option. I'm pretty sure the 30b is discontinued, and the keyboard tends to be a bit dodgy anyway.

Of those, if I wanted a basic calculator but with RPN input, I'd lean toward the 17BII. The advantage, of course, is that it's also a damn fine financial calculator. The solver and list-based stats give it remarkable flexibility. (I was using mine for some daily medical logging for a period of about 7 months.)
06-21-2015, 12:32 AM

I agree with Dave and others; if you don't need scientific features, the HP-17BII is probably the best deal you can find. They go on eBay for as little as $25 quite often. It's a Pioneer, so keyboard is great, LCD is fully usable, it's thin and light and batteries last a year or more.

--Bob Prosperi
06-21-2015, 01:57 AM
I'd recommend either the 34s or the 35s.
06-21-2015, 03:20 AM
Pfft! Who doesn't need scientific functions?

Picking up a cheap RPN (scientific) calculator via eBay is just a matter of patience and a little tactics. I'm by no means a serious collector, but I've won an HP-11C for just under $30, an HP-45 for just a little more, and a nice HP-25 for just a bit more again.

Around the hundred-dollar mark, I got a 32SII in perfect condition, and $20 more brought a new manual. I still reckon a sensibly-priced 11C is the best bang for the buck, though.

If you don't need a calculator urgently, then relax and just enjoy the fun of snaring a bargain.

--- Les
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
06-21-2015, 04:40 AM
(06-21-2015 03:20 AM)Les Bell Wrote:  If you don't need a calculator urgently, then relax and just enjoy the fun of snaring a bargain.

Seems like a plan. I noticed that the "$25" units (i.e. http://screencast.com/t/W9KoL40P83Lh ) go near 4 times the US value when shipped to Chile. So I think I will set some search alerts for an used one, and wait.

06-21-2015, 05:42 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2015 05:43 AM by Tugdual.)
I would go straight for a 35s.
Cheap, simple (but not dumb!), ok case, ok keyboard.
And I picked this one for the exact same purpose: i.e. cheap everyday calc.
This calc. is vastly underestimated due to bugs and inexistent support from hp but still totally deserve attention. I even ended up taking this small thing more seriously to the point I realized it could compare with a 15C.
06-21-2015, 11:10 AM
(06-21-2015 05:42 AM)Tugdual Wrote:  I would go straight for a 35s.
This calc. is vastly underestimated due to bugs and inexistent support from hp but still totally deserve attention. I even ended up taking this small thing more seriously to the point I realized it could compare with a 15C.

Couldnt agree more!
06-21-2015, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2015 05:33 PM by anetzer.)

I'd throw the WP 34S into consideration for good measure. I guess it is really the best handheld you can have right now. Plus it is the cheapest, if you don't mind glueing keyboard labels. And if it really aught to be simple, the WP 31S is a very usable specimen.

But if you just want to buy and use, there are deals on the HP 35s that can not easily be beaten by anything else...
06-21-2015, 05:46 PM
(06-21-2015 05:33 PM)anetzer Wrote:  

I'd throw the WP 34S into consideration for good measure. I guess it is really the best handheld you can have right now. Plus it is the cheapest, if you don't mind glueing keyboard labels. And if it really aught to be simple, the WP 31S is a very usable specimen.

But if you just want to buy and use, there are deals on the HP 35s that can not easily be beaten by anything else...
Thé 34s is a fantastic concept but not a very pratical calculator due to stickers on already poor keyboard and pretty poor case. Regarding the price, it was also my assumption that it would be cheap but eventually I had to pay for a second hand 30s, freight, stickers and more (programming with no cable is also a challenge for non qualified people like me). All together the 35s was way cheaper and more rewarding as a practical tool.
06-22-2015, 04:50 AM

With a bit of patience you can find good deals on ebay. I got a 32SII for about 45 euro last week, shipping included. Similar unit has been sold some hours ago for almost 120...
06-22-2015, 05:46 AM
(06-22-2015 04:50 AM)ElectroDuende Wrote:  

With a bit of patience you can find good deals on ebay. I got a 32SII for about 45 euro last week, shipping included. Similar unit has been sold some hours ago for almost 120...
But old and very slow machines. Before my 50g I purchased a second hand 48g because inwas attracted by the casing, keyboard and concept. I was quickly disappointed by the speed of another generation of machines and poor LCD screen that do no improve with time.
Even for simple calculations, speed brings comfort. I enjoyed the 15cle over the original one for that.
06-22-2015, 06:24 AM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2015 06:26 AM by Steve Simpkin.)
(06-22-2015 04:50 AM)TugDual Wrote:  But old and very slow machines. Before my 50g I purchased a second hand 48g because inwas attracted by the casing, keyboard and concept. I was quickly disappointed by the speed of another generation of machines and poor LCD screen that do no improve with time.
Even for simple calculations, speed brings comfort. I enjoyed the 15cle over the original one for that.

You would have really been disappointed if it had been a HP-48S or SXSmile
06-22-2015, 06:43 AM
(06-22-2015 05:46 AM)Tugdual Wrote:  But old and very slow machines. Before my 50g I purchased a second hand 48g because inwas attracted by the casing, keyboard and concept. I was quickly disappointed by the speed of another generation of machines and poor LCD screen that do no improve with time.

I agree in case of a top level graphing calculator, like the 40G to 50G comparison, but I don't think the 32SII is a slow calculator for a daily "napkin numbers" use. And it is quite a capable machine for this use...
06-22-2015, 09:13 AM
(06-22-2015 06:43 AM)ElectroDuende Wrote:  
(06-22-2015 05:46 AM)Tugdual Wrote:  But old and very slow machines. Before my 50g I purchased a second hand 48g because inwas attracted by the casing, keyboard and concept. I was quickly disappointed by the speed of another generation of machines and poor LCD screen that do no improve with time.

I agree in case of a top level graphing calculator, like the 40G to 50G comparison, but I don't think the 32SII is a slow calculator for a daily "napkin numbers" use. And it is quite a capable machine for this use...
Speed is not only for execution of programs. It is also simply the time between key press and reaction, whatever it is. As I said I saw a big difference between 15CLE and original 15C and if it is really a matter of few ms, it does bring comfort. The original 15C feels very sluggish for our today standards, like you press a key and the LCD slowly refreshes.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)