42S for $28USD
06-05-2015, 11:35 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 11:47 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
42S for $28USD
I just snagged a 42S for just under $28USD on eBay. Was it a good deal? Stay tuned.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2015, 01:09 AM
RE: 42S for $28USD
Good luck,
I had a similar 42S score when the previous custodian didn't have batteries to "turn it on ", sell as is.
I was
lucky that the calculator was all fine, but for that price it is worth the risk, and anticipation
Ray
06-06-2015, 09:23 PM
You might luck out like I did with my really cheap 32S with manual. It was listed as non-working, and arrived as advertised, but it turned out to be nothing more than a stuck/inverted key dome. A couple minutes with an x-acto knife to make a tiny incision releasing the pressure, and it was right as rain. The 1 key feels a tiny bit softer than the rest now, but it never sticks or misses.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-18-2015, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 07:05 PM by aurelio.)
(06-05-2015 11:35 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I just snagged a 42S for just under $28USD on eBay. Was it a good deal? Stay tuned.

Dave, Lucky man, how are you my friend?

any newS about your lucky purchase?
06-18-2015, 07:50 PM
(06-18-2015 07:04 PM)aurelio Wrote:  Dave, Lucky man, how are you my friend?

Hello Aurelio,

I am doing well, and you?

I've opened the case and removed and reinstalled the PCB. If I flex the calculator I can get the Memory Lost display. I suspect a bad solder connection somewhere. I'll need to put it under the microscope and do and inspection. The seller reported that he was able to run the self-test and received a URAM failure. If that's the case then I'll replace the RAM with a 32K chip. Anybody have a part number?

Dave
06-18-2015, 09:07 PM
(06-18-2015 07:50 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I've opened the case and removed and reinstalled the PCB. If I flex the calculator I can get the Memory Lost display. I suspect a bad solder connection somewhere. I'll need to put it under the microscope and do and inspection. The seller reported that he was able to run the self-test and received a URAM failure. If that's the case then I'll replace the RAM with a 32K chip. Anybody have a part number?

Dave

I think that URAM refers to video ram (when it is tested screen shows "noise"), and as far as I know, that forms part of the main CPU, so changing main RAM won't solve the problem.

Anyway, I hope it is just a bad soldering and you make it work.
06-19-2015, 11:31 PM
(06-18-2015 07:50 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Anybody have a part number?

Lots of 42S RAM info here

--Bob Prosperi
06-20-2015, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2015 04:13 PM by aurelio.)
(06-18-2015 07:50 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(06-18-2015 07:04 PM)aurelio Wrote:  Dave, Lucky man, how are you my friend?

Hello Aurelio,

I am doing well, and you?

I've opened the case and removed and reinstalled the PCB. If I flex the calculator I can get the Memory Lost display. I suspect a bad solder connection somewhere. I'll need to put it under the microscope and do and inspection. The seller reported that he was able to run the self-test and received a URAM failure. If that's the case then I'll replace the RAM with a 32K chip. Anybody have a part number?

Dave
hello Dave what a big job you are doing (at least up to me)!!
I always met trouble opening the case of a pioneer Smile the HP 48sx I opened became a spare parts source, with the 32sii I succed in repairing but I was all the time afraid to broken it, expecially drilling the case Smile

I feel well except for a few problems on both the hands (the carpal tunnel sydrome....... on the left one surgery at he beginning of this year) and the last present of my age, a new entry just this week, a problem with the right shoulder..
How much I would like to be back to the time when I was just twenty years old ...................I could also let for it my entire collection of HP calculators ...and more Smile Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)