Full list of available commands
06-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Full list of available commands
I think that a full list of commands is absolutely necessary to have for the Prime, at least the help on the calc should provide one.
Today I started to write a little CAS program to visualize the approximation of the Fourier Series to a function and had a longer lasting stop at MAKELIST (no, I do not always have access to the Internet to search this forum) which ended in writing my own as even EXPR("MAKELIST(k,k,1,n)") lead to a syntax error in the program( and worked fine in CAS ). Then my fourier_s(...) worked. In the evening I found the appropriate thread here, tried makelist(id,1,n) and, as expected, it worked. Nearly the same happend when I wrote Anitaylor to show animated Taylor-polynomials and on a lot of other occasions, I usually end up searching why a command does not work (in the used environment)
It is not that I do not like to tinker around (otherwise I would have bought a TI or a Casio), but in my, perhaps humble, opinion it is necessary to know about the material to do that with. I think, I do not expect too much, a list of additionally provided xcas commands would do the job (even if not included to the help-file) but I do not like the idea of looking into a list of NOT provided commands like in this thread http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-856...s+commands and then compare it to the list of commands available in xcas to find out if the necessary command is on the Prime and can be used.
Concluding, directly addressed to HP (not to Tim Wessman, you are really helpful), I had begun to advertise using this calculator in my helping school, but with this poor support which mainly comes from this Forum I am not really willing to continue that, I even find me more and more often using my old HP49G+ with a defective ON key. I like the Prime's Hardware, but I have started hating ist software and this is mainly caused by the somewhat crappy documentation.
Arno
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2015, 02:08 PM
RE: Full list of available commands
I'm unclear what large list of commands you are looking for here. Please elaborate a bit...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
06-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Would that be this one list?
06-11-2015, 03:27 PM
(06-11-2015 02:59 PM)Marcio Wrote:  Would that be this one list?

..or this one (almost the same), I hope it be reviewed.

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2015, 05:09 PM
No, neither the first nor the second, simple example: makelist in lower letters is not in them, it is not in the oncalc help but it works in CAS.
Arno
06-11-2015, 05:22 PM
To Tim,
well, I think of a catalog with all commands that are available on the Prime. Example:
C | makelist( function, start, end[,incr]) | makelist(x->x^2,1,5) provides {1,4,9,16,25}
H | MAKELIST(expr, var, start,end[,incr])| MAKELIST(2*x-1,x,1,3,1) provides { 1,3,5}
G | Instruction(String)....
Arno
06-11-2015, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 05:32 PM by eried.)
(06-11-2015 05:09 PM)Arno K Wrote:  No, neither the first nor the second, simple example: makelist in lower letters is not in them, it is not in the oncalc help but it works in CAS.
Arno

1. Install Primecomm http://servicios.ried.cl/primecomm/
2. Press Ctrl+ Alt+ . to launch PrimeHelp
3. Type MAK<enter> to get help about makelist. Press <enter> to search again

Isn't updated for latest fw but I think it will work for your quick reference needs

[Image: 2014-04-22_1755.png]

My website: erwin.ried.cl
06-11-2015, 05:27 PM
(06-11-2015 05:09 PM)Arno K Wrote:  No, neither the first nor the second, simple example: makelist in lower letters is not in them, it is not in the oncalc help but it works in CAS.
Arno

If remember correctly, Parisse explained somewhere in the forums why that is that certain commands (under the same name) behave differently on different views (CAS and HOME).
06-11-2015, 08:55 PM
(06-11-2015 05:27 PM)Marcio Wrote:  If remember correctly, Parisse explained somewhere in the forums why that is that certain commands (under the same name) behave differently on different views (CAS and HOME).

Yes, he did, and I can live with different behaviour of certain commands in different environments, I want to know, which commands are available on the calc, as I pointed out above.
Thank you
Arno
06-11-2015, 09:01 PM
(06-11-2015 05:24 PM)eried Wrote:  
Arno
1. Install Primecomm http://servicios.ried.cl/primecomm/
2. Press Ctrl+ Alt+ . to launch PrimeHelp
3. Type MAK<enter> to get help about makelist. Press <enter> to search again

Isn't updated for latest fw but I think it will work for your quick reference needs
Yes, I know about Primecomm, I even have it installed, but there too, not all available commands are mentioned, for quick reference the help on the calc seems to be more useful, as it contains more commands than the one in primecomm.
Thank you,
Arno
06-12-2015, 02:29 AM
mmm, what command do you miss? I think prime documentation is best in class for most of the graphical calculators

06-12-2015, 04:57 AM
I think in the online help of the prime it could be helpful if all commands would be marked as cas or home. It is often said: ' no XYZ is a cas command you cannot use that in a home program" or "no that is a home command in cas use XYZ instead"... Additional information on the commands i.e. its nature and when to use it could be helpful. And of course all variants (typing) should be listed. There was a solve discussion some days ago.
06-12-2015, 06:02 AM
(06-12-2015 04:57 AM)Angus Wrote:  I think in the online help of the prime it could be helpful if all commands would be marked as cas or home. It is often said: ' no XYZ is a cas command you cannot use that in a home program" or "no that is a home command in cas use XYZ instead"... Additional information on the commands i.e. its nature and when to use it could be helpful. And of course all variants (typing) should be listed. There was a solve discussion some days ago.

That is what I am talking about. Thanks Angus.
Well, I think, I am going to make some Kind of command list myself, based on what can be found on the internet and then filled with everything xcas has, so that I then only Need to try if a needed xcas command will work on the prime.
Arno
06-12-2015, 10:13 AM
Well, there is a bright side: It seems the Prime is growing to be bigger than its documentation. If compared to other HP calculators, especially the ones limited by RAM, the Prime is quite a step forward as you can easily implement your programs and make it do things you never thought possible.
06-12-2015, 10:46 AM
(06-12-2015 06:02 AM)Arno K Wrote:  
(06-12-2015 04:57 AM)Angus Wrote:  I think in the online help of the prime it could be helpful if all commands would be marked as cas or home. It is often said: ' no XYZ is a cas command you cannot use that in a home program" or "no that is a home command in cas use XYZ instead"... Additional information on the commands i.e. its nature and when to use it could be helpful. And of course all variants (typing) should be listed. There was a solve discussion some days ago.

That is what I am talking about. Thanks Angus.
Well, I think, I am going to make some Kind of command list myself, based on what can be found on the internet and then filled with everything xcas has, so that I then only Need to try if a needed xcas command will work on the prime.
Arno

You can edit the csv file in primehelp adding another column. I can add some kind of cas/home switcher to work with that. From the csv file you can generate the online, pdf, etc documentation later.

06-12-2015, 05:25 PM
(06-12-2015 10:46 AM)eried Wrote:  You can edit the csv file in primehelp adding another column. I can add some kind of cas/home switcher to work with that. From the csv file you can generate the online, pdf, etc documentation later.
Exactly that is what I have started today, but that will take some time, as I will insert, at first in alphabetical order, the xcas commands and the newer prime commands.
Arno
06-12-2015, 06:05 PM
(06-12-2015 05:25 PM)Arno K Wrote:  Exactly that is what I have started today, but that will take some time, as I will insert, at first in alphabetical order, the xcas commands and the newer prime commands.

Although the built-in "reserved" variables are part of the HP PPL vocabulary, I don't know whether you want to include them or not. If so, you'll find them all in one place here: http://holyjoe.net/hp/PrimeVars.htm Although I think it's complete and up to date, it might not be, because each firmware revision so far has made changes to the list.

One strange bird is "epsilon" which acts like a system variable, but it's not really, because it's not recognized in Home. Therefore it seems to be a CAS command that mimics a variable, e.g. epsilon:=1e-10 is valid.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
06-12-2015, 09:35 PM
(06-12-2015 06:05 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(06-12-2015 05:25 PM)Arno K Wrote:  Exactly that is what I have started today, but that will take some time, as I will insert, at first in alphabetical order, the xcas commands and the newer prime commands.

Although the built-in "reserved" variables are part of the HP PPL vocabulary, I don't know whether you want to include them or not. If so, you'll find them all in one place here: http://holyjoe.net/hp/PrimeVars.htm Although I think it's complete and up to date, it might not be, because each firmware revision so far has made changes to the list.

One strange bird is "epsilon" which acts like a system variable, but it's not really, because it's not recognized in Home. Therefore it seems to be a CAS command that mimics a variable, e.g. epsilon:=1e-10 is valid.
Thank you Joe, I will not include this list directly, but I think it can be useful, if I sort commands by topic, i.e. strings, lists....
Arno
06-13-2015, 12:49 AM
I'm going to update the csv with the new fw codes soon, but what else is needed? are the xcas commands implemented (but hidden) in the prime?

06-13-2015, 06:11 AM
(06-13-2015 12:49 AM)eried Wrote:  I'm going to update the csv with the new fw codes soon, but what else is needed? are the xcas commands implemented (but hidden) in the prime?

Yes, for example the command that inspired me to complain in this thread: "makelist(x->f(x),start, end, incr)" and at least some other commands written in lower that work in CAS contrary to them in UPPER that only can be used in home., that does not often matter, as workarounds can be found/made, but this one made me angry because I first tried EXPR("MAKELIST(...)") in CAS, it worked fine, but then caused my CAS-program to error.
So I decided I would need that full list.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)