Keep or return?
06-04-2015, 06:41 AM
Keep or return?
Almost given up on my Prime Hw rev. A and got an offer from my dealer to return it with a full refund.

Is it a good deal or should I keep it and hope for a fully functioning software later?
Return and wait for a newer Hw rev and updated FW?
Return and replace with the 50?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2015, 07:18 AM
RE: Keep or return?
Depends on your expectation. I had both and decided to stick on 50g.
I would says if you're on graphics stuff for school with a need for basic coding (on PC) keep the Prime. If you're more on the professional side, like engineering and physics, with a need for on the fly quick coding and don't care very much for graphics, go for the 50g.
Just my opinion.
06-04-2015, 08:00 AM
I have 48GX as a backup but the sometimes hard to read display and its serial transfer were the main reasons for my upgrade. Looking at YT the 50 is really slow compared to the Prime and I'm not sure that I can live with that when I already own a 48 Tongue

I have another week before I have to make the final decision and return the unit or decline the offer. Guess I'll be spending most of my free time on YT comparing the units this weekend.

My calculations are on a electronics hobbyist level and some on site load calculations for rope access.
06-04-2015, 11:39 AM
(06-04-2015 08:00 AM)petaks01 Wrote:  I have 48GX as a backup but the sometimes hard to read display and its serial transfer were the main reasons for my upgrade. Looking at YT the 50 is really slow compared to the Prime and I'm not sure that I can live with that when I already own a 48 Tongue

I have another week before I have to make the final decision and return the unit or decline the offer. Guess I'll be spending most of my free time on YT comparing the units this weekend.

My calculations are on a electronics hobbyist level and some on site load calculations for rope access.

Keep it and code the first electronic circuit simulator for it Smile

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Keep it in the drawer like an albatross.
06-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Based on my finds on Youtube I have to learn spanish before I can use the 50 Tongue
"HP 50G tutorial" gave me 600+ hits and almost everyone was in spanish, I already have
a hard time with english versions.

A circuit simulator is a complicated program and I will focus on a helper for
Anchor/Tyrolean Traverse load calculations first as it is the least probable program to
be developed in near future by someone else.
06-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Gave up today and returned the unit.
06-12-2015, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2015 10:30 PM by kharpster.)
Petaks01, I understand your choice to send the Prime back! I regrettably sold my 50g to buy a Prime so I could give it to my son this fall for High School. I may or may not buy another Prime for myself, that depends entirely upon what HP chooses to do with the keyboard and it's lack of readability. The bugs (which are many) can be fixed, but I cannot fix HP's exceptionally poor choice of colors utilized on the keyboard.

I have both the HP Prime and Droid 48 emulators running on my Android devices, but I really wish I could get a 50g emulator that ran on Android. I am finding myself using the emulators more than the physical devices as they are "always" with me...

As an FYI, a while back I had purchased this tutorial series. It is pretty good, but may not be in depth enough for your needs... http://www.mathtutordvd.com/products/The...lume-1.cfm
06-13-2015, 04:07 AM
Will definitately get a 50 emu running tonight and take a closer look at the tutorial.
It may even end with a used 50 in my pocket if I can find one on fleabay
without paying more shipping than the unit itself cost.

Buying a new unit here from a dealer will set me back somewhere between $195-220.

The only part of the 50 that makes me hesitate is its display and the readability in low light conditions.
06-13-2015, 09:01 AM
(06-12-2015 07:54 PM)petaks01 Wrote:  Gave up today and returned the unit.
Good decision. If it eventually evolves to something that meets your requirements, you can always buy a new Prime.
06-15-2015, 05:47 AM
Hello,

I still use a Rev A HW...

The only difference between a rev A and rev C HW is that the rev A can not use the wireless dongle, streamsmart 410 and can not be a USB host during unit to unit communication.

Seeing that most 'normal' users do not have/use the SS410 nor wireless dongles, and that unit to unit coms problem (which is rarely used) can be solved by swapping the cable (assuming that the other calc is a rev C), this tend not to be a problem in real life use.

SW is compatible between rev A and rev C, so you can still benefit from all SW updates that HP publish.

So, honnestly, there are not a lot of reasons for going through the motions of swapping... however, if it's free, why not!

Cyrille
06-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Ended up with buying a new 50G on eBay ($78 incl. shipping) from a polish company, they even gave me 1 year warranty.
06-15-2015, 11:26 AM
(06-15-2015 10:25 AM)petaks01 Wrote:  Ended up with buying a new 50G on eBay ($78 incl. shipping) from a polish company, they even gave me 1 year warranty.
So ? First impression?
2 things you must do for a start:
- adjust keyboard scan frequency
- invest into low self discharge batteries (I am happy with my Varta) and one of these intelligent battery chargers (I picked the latest La Crosse but cheaper alternative will do)

After a few months, I have no regret I swapped the Prime for a 50g which is now my favorite calc all time. I guess since you used a 48 before, this won't be too much of a change for you.
06-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Have to get the unit first, placed the order a few hours ago Wink

But I feel that it may be easier to get used to it since it has so much similarities with the 48.
Currently getting used to using the emulator and so far everything has been easy to
understand even if some features have changed and/or moved.

Keyboard Scan frequency?
Sounds like it is hidden somewhere deep in the system, any guides available?
If I don't change it, what will I miss?
06-15-2015, 01:11 PM
The command is KEYTIME(value). The default value is 1000 which a lot of users find misses keystrokes. You can change the value to 500, which seems to eliminate the missed keystrokes. I.E. KEYTIME(500)
06-15-2015, 05:21 PM
KEYTIME(n) didn't work, all it says on the emulator is "INVALID SYNTAX".

After some googling I found the right way to do it: '500 ->KEYTIME'

Will try that when I get the real unit if I get a lot of missed keystrokes.
Regarding batteries, I use Varta Industrial alkalines in every battery powered device at
home since I can get them really cheap in 40-packs. Do I really need to change to rechargeables?
06-15-2015, 05:39 PM
The format for entering KEYTIME depends upon the Mode setting (Algebraic or RPN) :-)

With regard to the batteries, I would first wait and see how many Alkaline batteries you go through, and then make that decision.
06-15-2015, 05:56 PM
(06-15-2015 05:39 PM)kharpster Wrote:  The format for entering KEYTIME depends upon the Mode setting (Algebraic or RPN) :-).

Wait what? Algebraic? How dare you? The 50g magic is RPL + RPN ;-)
06-15-2015, 06:04 PM
Didn't even know that you were allowed to use the TI-compatible entry mode Wink
06-15-2015, 06:13 PM
I knew I would get grief for mentioning Algebraic mode, but, it is the default mode when you pull the HP 50g out of the box ;-) Not that I would leave it that way for more than a couple of key-presses after putting the batteries in and turning it on...LOL

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)