from hp50g expression 2 latex
03-06-2017, 11:18 PM
RE: from hp50g expression 2 latex
I should've read all through the thread and read all the documentation before commenting, sorry! Thanks again for this useful utility.

Gerson.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2017, 09:51 PM
(06-20-2015 08:35 AM)peacecalc Wrote:  Thank you debrouxl for answer.

I worked with tex since twenty five years. So sometimes I forget that only a few persons still working with this textformatting software (at the programming view, in nowadays there exist WYSISWYG editors for tex).

But nevertheless every interested person is invited to use and maybe to develop the program.

I reflected a bit about this. For my experience I can say that while Latex and Word can offer nice formatting, few touch latex because, well, one has to type commands and few wants to go through the effort of learning them, but also in Word few are able to format a document properly.

Even in terms of mathematical formulae, word improved a lot but people use it still poorly.

Nevertheless, at least for formulae, mathML (from MS word) is not really common online, while thanks to mathJax latex is more common. I used often codecogs to get a latex formula but actually having the possibility to use the equation writer of the hp 50g to then get the latex formula is pretty neat. It would be better than any "command to formula" tool that I know (latex, codecogs, MS word linear conversion from commands to formulae) and would be especially useful for this forum as well.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
03-26-2017, 02:16 AM
(06-20-2015 08:35 AM)peacecalc Wrote:  sometimes I forget that only a few persons still working with this text formatting software

A fairly recent development is the rise of online collaborative LaTeX services. Authors are able to work on the same document online, from many parts of the world, at the same time, and then quickly submit to a number of journals.

Sharelatex.com claims to be used by a million students and academics, while Overleaf.com claims 8 million projects and 600,000 authors at 3,600 institutions.

I'm guessing that there may be some HP50G users among these.
03-26-2017, 10:01 AM
Hello all,

@Brian, thank you for your hint, I always thought, I'm a dying out species, but it is good to know that there are a lot of other people around the world using the invention of D. E. Knuth...

@pier4r, thank you for appreciating that little tool.

@Gerson, don't be to hard with yourself, maybe you are a member of generation LBD (learning by doing (including failing)). ;-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)