Error: Bad argument type
05-13-2015, 11:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2015 11:55 PM by Michael de Estrada.)
Error: Bad argument type
Updated my Prime to new version 2015 4 27 (7820)

A program that worked previously now does not, and this statement typed into Home or CAS windows now gives the error: Bad argument type

CAS("Z0:=nSolve(DET(matev)=0,x=G")

matev is a CAS 4x4 symbolic matrix of the variable x

G = 5 (a guess)

I can't find nSolve in the catalog. Is this the problem ?

Edit: Apparently nSolve has been replaced with fsolve, and the proper syntax has become

fsolve(DET(matev)=0,x,G)

which does not result in an error and does yield the correct result.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2015, 12:32 PM
RE: Error: Bad argument type
You have answered the question yourself. nsolve is useless having fsolve, because all the features nsolved had, is contained in fsolve, a command for "all terrain" numeric solving.
05-14-2015, 01:54 PM
Perhaps, but why does HP make these sort of changes w/o doumenting them in the changes file. It leaves one in a quandry trying to determine why a program that used to work perfectly, but now fails for no apparent reason.

The reason I made this post is so that others might benefit from my discovery in the event they have a similar problem. Smile
05-14-2015, 05:38 PM
That information was meant to be in there. I apologize for it not being in the release note. I've updated them, but until the next time an upload happens it probably won't show up.

In the meantime, I updated that post (http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-3823.html) with the information.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)