best HP scientific calculator
05-13-2015, 12:31 AM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2015 12:33 AM by Dave.)
RE: best HP scientific calculator
(05-12-2015 11:57 PM)Marcio Wrote:  Yeap, I have been reading about the 35s and it seems people don't like it very much. Saw lots of negative reviews. Hmm.. Might cancel the order and go for a 34s instead.
The 33s makes me cross-eyed. The 35s is fine if you add a few short programs to make up for missing functions. The negative reviews are about things that will likely not affect you anyway.

While the 34s is very powerful, it has a steep learning curve, IMO. Better to keep it simple and get an old (or new) 15c, 32sii or the 35s that's on its way to you.

Or just carry the 50g in something other than your pocket. You already have the best calculator in your possession.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2015, 12:20 PM
(05-12-2015 06:19 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  
(05-12-2015 12:19 AM)Marcio Wrote:  I heard the WP-34s has received good reviews but I don't think they ship to Brazil, do they? Even if they did, the cost would be at least 3x as much.

Actually about 2.25x, if you consider import tax (60%), IOF (6.38%) and shipping expenses.

Gerson.

Gerson,

Have you done this before? If so, how long does it usually take? Are there any risks?

Thanks

Marcio
05-13-2015, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2015 01:52 PM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
Olá, Márcio!

(05-13-2015 12:20 PM)Marcio Wrote:  
(05-12-2015 06:19 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Actually about 2.25x, if you consider import tax (60%), IOF (6.38%) and shipping expenses.

Gerson.

Have you done this before? If so, how long does it usually take? Are there any risks?

Thanks

Marcio

I've bought from Samson Cables and from Eric Rechlin's commerce site, both very reliable places to buy. Another option is eBay. I've noticed you've already ordered an HP-35S. I am not fond of it (I prefer the older HP-33S), but it surely will fit your needs. I guess you won't need a WP-34S, unless you want to play with it. In this case, I can part with one of mine (I bought two units from Erich a few months ago, one of which hasn't been used yet), for the same price I paid for it then, excluding the aforementioned taxes, that is, for US$ 70.00 plus shipping (R$ 210,00 plus shipping from Curitiba to your city). The firmware version is 3.3T.3645 (Unfortunately I cannot update the firmware because my cable is not working anymore). I strongly advise you to try the emulator first. PM me if you're interested.

Gerson.

P.S.: I forgot to mention they usually take about one month to arrive.
05-13-2015, 01:57 PM
(05-12-2015 11:57 PM)Marcio Wrote:  Yeap, I have been reading about the 35s and it seems people don't like it very much. Saw lots of negative reviews. Hmm.. Might cancel the order and go for a 34s instead.
HP 35s is good. I really like it. The key layout is handy for programming. Easy to program.
05-13-2015, 04:17 PM
(05-13-2015 01:44 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Another option is eBay. I've noticed you've already ordered an HP-35S. I am not fond of it (I prefer the older HP-33S), but it surely will fit your needs. I guess you won't need a WP-34S, unless you want to play with it. In this case, I can part with one of mine (I bought two units from Erich a few months ago, one of which hasn't been used yet), for the same price I paid for it then, excluding the aforementioned taxes, that is, for US$ 70.00 plus shipping (R$ 210,00 plus shipping from Curitiba to your city). The firmware version is 3.3T.3645 (Unfortunately I cannot update the firmware because my cable is not working anymore). I strongly advise you to try the emulator first. PM me if you're interested.

Gerson.

Gerson, thanks for the quick response. As for the 34s, what sort of cable/cord do people use to update the machine? and yes, my intention is to have a fun calculator to play with. I installed both emulators (35s and 34s) and started reading the manuals. Can't comment just yet. Will decide later if I should buy it or not.

THanks.
05-13-2015, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2015 06:11 PM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
(05-13-2015 04:17 PM)Marcio Wrote:  
(05-13-2015 01:44 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Another option is eBay. I've noticed you've already ordered an HP-35S. I am not fond of it (I prefer the older HP-33S), but it surely will fit your needs. I guess you won't need a WP-34S, unless you want to play with it. In this case, I can part with one of mine (I bought two units from Erich a few months ago, one of which hasn't been used yet), for the same price I paid for it then, excluding the aforementioned taxes, that is, for US$ 70.00 plus shipping (R$ 210,00 plus shipping from Curitiba to your city). The firmware version is 3.3T.3645 (Unfortunately I cannot update the firmware because my cable is not working anymore). I strongly advise you to try the emulator first. PM me if you're interested.

Gerson.

Gerson, thanks for the quick response. As for the 34s, what sort of cable/cord do people use to update the machine? and yes, my intention is to have a fun calculator to play with. I installed both emulators (35s and 34s) and started reading the manuals. Can't comment just yet. Will decide later if I should buy it or not.

THanks.

I can't find a picture right now. Anyway, it appears these cables aren't available anymore. But there are at least two solutions around, one by Katie and another by Harald:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=229916

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=219158

You can find more information in the "Not quite HP Calculators - but related" subforum:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/forum-8.html

Gerson.
05-13-2015, 06:43 PM
(05-13-2015 06:10 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  
(05-13-2015 04:17 PM)Marcio Wrote:  what sort of cable/cord do people use to update the machine?

I can't find a picture right now. Anyway, it appears these cables aren't available anymore. But there are at least two solutions around, one by Katie and another by Harald:

You can find more information in the "Not quite HP Calculators - but related" subforum:

Gerson.

Katie's solution uses the first of Harald's boards and the second solution by Harald involves installing a board inside the calculator. There are, however, numerous solutions in the "Not Quite" forum ranging from simple to exotic and cables occasionally turn up on eBay or in the Classifieds.

Dave
05-13-2015, 08:16 PM
(05-13-2015 06:43 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(05-13-2015 06:10 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  I can't find a picture right now. Anyway, it appears these cables aren't available anymore. But there are at least two solutions around, one by Katie and another by Harald:

Gerson.

Katie's solution uses the first of Harald's boards and the second solution by Harald involves installing a board inside the calculator. There are, however, numerous solutions in the "Not Quite" forum ranging from simple to exotic and cables occasionally turn up on eBay or in the Classifieds.

Dave

I've received three cables, two from Tim and one from Gene, but I gave two away. It's possible that my remaining cable is still working, only I've been being reluctant to update the firmware on my WP-34S after unsuccessfully trying to reflash two hp 30b calculators I had bought last year at eBay for a very low price. Later I was informed that some of those cheaper units might not accept reflashing. Perhaps I'll try again one of these day. At worst, I can end up with a dead calculator, but that's what spares are for :-)

Gerson.
05-13-2015, 08:44 PM
This approach by Michael Kathke worked for me.

And for the USB to serial conversion I used one like this.

Easy DIY that works.
05-13-2015, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2015 08:52 PM by Tugdual.)
I would still recommend a 50g over a35s; 50g has a multiple equation solver which is very convenient for scientific calculations and the 35s has nothing approaching. Working with matrices is by far simpler with the 50g and the 35s doesn't fully support complex numbers. Unit of measurement is also restricted to common conversions on the 35s while the 50g had a complete support quite easy to use with function keys (easier than the prime). In terms of programming RPL is very advanced and in my opinion easier to understand and maintain than key codes on the 35s.
The 35s was an unexpectedly valid replacement for the 15c but the 50g is definitely in a different league. Since I acquired the 50g, all other machines are taking the dust.
05-13-2015, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2015 08:56 PM by Marcio.)
(05-13-2015 08:50 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  I would still recommend a 50g over a35s; 50g has a multiple equation solver which is very convenient for scientific calculations and the 35s has nothing approaching. Working with matrices is by far simpler with the 50g and complex numbers are incomplete in the 35s. Unit of measurement is also restricted to common conversions on the 35s while the 50g had a complete support quite easy to use with function keys (easier than the prime). In terms of programming RPL is very advanced and in my opinion easier to understand and maintain than key codes on the 35s.
The 35s was an unexpectedly valid replacement for the 15c but the 50g is definitely in a different league. Since I acquired the 50g, all other machines are taking the dust.

Thanks Tugdual for the input. The thing is that I already own a 50g and would like to add a new fun toy to my collection. Read quite a bit about the 35s and didn't like it very much.
05-13-2015, 09:05 PM
(05-13-2015 08:56 PM)Marcio Wrote:  
(05-13-2015 08:50 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  I would still recommend a 50g over a35s; 50g has a multiple equation solver which is very convenient for scientific calculations and the 35s has nothing approaching. Working with matrices is by far simpler with the 50g and complex numbers are incomplete in the 35s. Unit of measurement is also restricted to common conversions on the 35s while the 50g had a complete support quite easy to use with function keys (easier than the prime). In terms of programming RPL is very advanced and in my opinion easier to understand and maintain than key codes on the 35s.

Thanks Tugdual for the input. The thing is that I already own a 50g and would like to add a new fun toy to my collection. Read quite a bit about the 35s and didn't like it very much.

35s is still a nice object quite pleasant to use. For fun and collectible, I wouldn't pay too much attention on the bug list. You can definitely enjoy the 35s, I doubt you would regret your purchase. As I said I was initially searching for a simple and cheap replacement for my 15le just in case I would lose or get it stolen. This very capable machine rapidly happened to be much more than a cheap replacement.
05-13-2015, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2015 09:17 PM by Marcio.)
(05-13-2015 09:05 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  
(05-13-2015 08:56 PM)Marcio Wrote:  Thanks Tugdual for the input. The thing is that I already own a 50g and would like to add a new fun toy to my collection. Read quite a bit about the 35s and didn't like it very much.

35s is still a nice object quite pleasant to use. For fun and collectible, I wouldn't pay too much attention on the bug list. You can definitely enjoy the 35s, I doubt you would regret your purchase. As I said I was initially searching for a simple and cheap replacement for my 15le just in case I would lose or get it stolen. This very capable machine rapidly happened to be much more than a cheap replacement.

I am sure the 35s is quite a machine, but I kinda traveled back in time to the 70's while reading the 34s manual this afternoon.
05-13-2015, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2015 09:46 PM by Marcio.)
(05-13-2015 09:05 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  35s is still a nice object quite pleasant to use. For fun and collectible, I wouldn't pay too much attention on the bug list.

Well, yes, the Prime has much more bugs and very few of them have bugged me so far, so to speak. I'm a bit disappointed the new FW (released this Wed) didn't bring any updates on RPN functionality, so I think I'll give it a break.
05-14-2015, 01:04 AM
The 35S seems nice enough until the infinite loop bug wipes out many kilobytes of entered programs. I haven't really bothered with it since.

If we could have 34S firmware with the 35S body and keyboard, now that would really be something.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-14-2015, 02:07 AM
(05-14-2015 01:04 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  The 35S seems nice enough until the infinite loop bug wipes out many kilobytes of entered programs. I haven't really bothered with it since.

From what I have read online, you are not alone. Two bad the FW can't be fixed/changed as it was not produced by HP (so I heard).
08-18-2015, 02:11 AM
I am sorry for the late reply; I haven't been on these boards or the old ones for some time now.

I use both the 35s and 33s (and 50g, 49g, 48G/G+) currently. I much prefer using the 33s at all times if I can "get away with it". That is, not only as some has alread said that programs run faster, it is just easier to operate from its keyboard despite the 35s keyboard being easier to look at and read. The 33s feels better to use in my hands than the 35s and the keys feel better when I press them. All my very short programs are written on the 33s and I almost have none on the 35s. (If the program requires a bit more, I have to shift over to the 50/49g). But I prefer either the 33s/35s over the 50g/49g.

I find the 33s to be my "go to" calculator nowadays. It is a worthy successor to the 32sII and 34C. I hope HP comes out someday soon with another like the 33s or 32sII or 34C.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)