WP34S - Global, Local label tips, tricks
05-08-2015, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2015 02:13 PM by CR Haeger.)
WP34S - Global, Local label tips, tricks
Hello,

Thanks to the WP34S v3.3 owners manual, I have some understanding of global and local labels used to name and/or control programs.

What I am not sure about is if there are recommended practices for using these labels.

1. Should local labels (like 01, 02...) be used over and over within different global programs ('ABC', 'XYZ')? Should they be used to label a standalone program?

2. Should local hotkey labels (A-D) be used only to label at the start of one program?

3. What should be used as a frequently used and edited utility f(x) or g(x,y) function program labels - 'Fx', 'Gxy' or 'F1', 'F2'? It seems there are many times I want to either perform some routine on f(x) (slv, sum, integrate, differentiate...) or call it from another program.

4. In general, how do you keep track of all these global, local labels in use? Just through the CATalog or scrolling through programming lines?

Thanks for your advice.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2015, 05:54 PM
RE: WP34S - Global, Local label tips, tricks
Maybe a "34s Code Editor" would be handy Smile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-09-2015, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 08:46 AM by Thomas_Sch.)
(05-08-2015 05:54 PM)pito Wrote:  Maybe a "34s Code Editor" would be handy Smile
Yes, that would be great.
The differences should not be so big,
maybe Andreas (graan) will give it a try?
05-09-2015, 10:00 AM
(05-08-2015 05:54 PM)pito Wrote:  Maybe a "34s Code Editor" would be handy Smile

Thanks. This looks handy for programming outside of the handheld. I don't know of it helps for handheld keystroke programs.
05-09-2015, 07:50 PM

Thanks. This looks handy for programming outside of the handheld. I don't know of it helps for handheld keystroke programs.
05-10-2015, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2015 05:55 PM by Dieter.)
(05-08-2015 02:12 PM)CR Haeger Wrote:  1. Should local labels (like 01, 02...) be used over and over within different global programs ('ABC', 'XYZ')? Should they be used to label a standalone program?

"Should"? No, why? But you can use local labels within multiple programs as long as these are separated by END statements. It doesn't matter whether these programs use local or global labels, the important bit is the END.

(05-08-2015 02:12 PM)CR Haeger Wrote:  2. Should local hotkey labels (A-D) be used only to label at the start of one program?

"Should"? No, why? But you can use the four special labels A...D to start such programs with a single keystroke. That's what makes them special – so you use these labels if you want to take advantage of this special feature. If you don't mind pressing two keys remember there's a shortcut using XEQ and the keycode of another key: XEQ STO (or XEQ G, if you prefer) is nothing but XEQ 21, and XEQ + (resp. XEQ Z) is the same as XEQ 75.

(05-08-2015 02:12 PM)CR Haeger Wrote:  3. What should be used as a frequently used and edited utility f(x) or g(x,y) function program labels - 'Fx', 'Gxy' or 'F1', 'F2'? It seems there are many times I want to either perform some routine on f(x) (slv, sum, integrate, differentiate...) or call it from another program.

Use whatever you like and that is easy to type. That's why lowercase letters and even numbers in global labels are more cumbersome than, say, a simple LBL FF. You can also store a global label's name in a register and then call it indirectly.

(05-08-2015 02:12 PM)CR Haeger Wrote:  4. In general, how do you keep track of all these global, local labels in use? Just through the CATalog or scrolling through programming lines?

Local labels are not important here, and the global labels ahould have meaningful names (within the limits of three characters, that is...).

Dieter
05-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Thank you Dieter.

I will study your answers and try to apply them to some WP34S programs. I expect I will be back with a few followup questions sooner or later.
05-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Have a look at the library source code, too. There are some interactive programs, like the matrix editor MED or Franz' TVM application, which are worth studying:

https://sourceforge.net/p/wp34s/code/HEAD/tree/library/

The library, unlike the internal XROM code, is pure user code. The programs are meant to be translated with the Perl preprocessor and assembler tools by Neil.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)