71B Diagnostic ROM image
05-06-2015, 11:58 PM
71B Diagnostic ROM image
As part of my recent adventure updating my new FRAM71 to 1MB I spent some time with the diagnostic image checking out my work. When the diagnostics start up they first test the CPU and display the CPU speed and then prompt for a command, pressing the 'H' key will give you a quick list of the tests available. The description of the 'M' key might lead you to think it will do multiple passes but what it actually does is run all the tests in sequence. The 'A' key (Auto) is the one that loops tests, and I am sure that anyone who has played with the diagnostics will have already discovered this. When looping a test with the 'A' key you can halt it by holding the orange 'f' shift key down until the diagnostic cycle completes. The one really new thing that I discovered by accident is the 'C' key, which will display the last error code reported and after exiting a looped diag it also display the number of passes executed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2015, 12:40 AM
RE: 71B Diagnostic ROM image
Most of the key assignments, including [C], are documented on p.A-2 of the Service Manual. One undocumented feature is the debugger which behaves like the 82478A Debugger. Press [Q][Q] to start. Also, [+][+] analyzes the memory configuration and [-][-] will display it.

Dave
05-07-2015, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2015 01:40 AM by Paul Berger (Canada).)
(05-07-2015 12:40 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Most of the key assignments, including [C], are documented on p.A-2 of the Service Manual.
Dave
That is fine for those who actually have access to the service guide personally I have never seen one.

Update... well I have now, found it on hpmuseum.net
05-07-2015, 01:19 AM
(05-07-2015 12:57 AM)Paul Berger (Canada) Wrote:  That is fine for those who actually have access to the service guide personally I have never seen one.

Update... well I do now found it on hpmuseum.net

This thread documents the location of the Service Manual and the origin of the Diag ROM image (thanks Jean-Francois).

The thread also refers to a Clonix71 which materialized as FRAM71. Smile
05-07-2015, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2015 12:28 PM by cruff.)
(05-07-2015 01:19 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  ... and the origin of the Diag ROM image (thanks Jean-Francois).

So, is the diagnostic ROM image available somewhere, or is it just hoarded by a secret cabal? Inquiring minds want to know. :-) I don't seem to have come across it yet. Thanks!

EDIT: Found it as a component of the ROMs in the link in this post: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-251...l#pid34586

Thanks Dave!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)