WP34s: double DROP
04-15-2015, 07:27 PM
WP34s: double DROP
I noticed the 34s DROP instruction appears both in the P.FCN and the X.FCN menu. They seem to be the same command. Is this a bug or a feature?

Dieter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2015, 07:57 PM
RE: WP34s: double DROP
If documented this way, it's a feature.

d;-)
04-15-2015, 08:25 PM
(04-15-2015 07:57 PM)walter b Wrote:  If documented this way, it's a feature.

I don't know how and where DROP appears in the printed manuals, but the PDF I use just knows of one single DROP command: the one that is listed in X.FCN.

Dieter
04-15-2015, 08:47 PM
I don't know which pdf you're using but the spiral bound printed manual I use shows DROP in P.FCN on p. 220 and in X.FCN on p.221. Makes sense to me.

d:-)
04-15-2015, 10:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2015 10:06 PM by Dieter.)
(04-15-2015 08:47 PM)walter b Wrote:  I don't know which pdf you're using but the spiral bound printed manual I use shows DROP in P.FCN on p. 220 and in X.FCN on p.221.

My PDF manual says "Edition 3.2". The IOP states that DROP is found in X.FCN. Does the IOP in the printed manual mention a second occurence in P.FCN?

In another section the PDF manual lists the catalog contents. Here DROP is listed both in P.FCN (p. 136) and in X.FCN (p. 137).

(04-15-2015 08:47 PM)walter b Wrote:  Makes sense to me.

I admit I cannot see much sense in having the same function in different catalogs. However, if this really makes sense I would expect the same double appearance for other commands as well. But is this really true or is DROP the only case?

Dieter
04-16-2015, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2015 02:12 AM by MarkHaysHarris777.)
hi, The v3.3 firmware hardcopy lists 'DROP' as a member of the P.FCN menu on pp 199, and also lists it as a member of the X.FCN menu on pp 201. On the other hand, the reference for 'DROP' on pp 133 only references its location in X.FCN.

Its a feature.

PS ... with the complexity of the 34s, and its doc, I'm a little surprised there is only ONE duplicated command!

Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
04-16-2015, 03:33 AM
Only from the title I was thinking that your post deals with:

[CPX] DROP

Just never try to search \(\pi\) in the CONST menu.

Cheers
Thomas
04-16-2015, 03:46 AM
IIRC, DROP is the only command of WP 34S appearing in two catalogs. I faintly remember Pauli and I had a discussion about it way, way back. People expect DROP in X.FCN. Actually, however, DROP is most useful in programming. Anyway, DROP is provided in both P.FCN and X.FCN (and mentioned in the IOP for X.FCN only) since v3.0. Before, it was in X.FCN only. I agree its presence in P.FCN should be mentioned in the IOP as well.

04-16-2015, 03:50 AM
What's directly accessible on the keyboard isn't repeated in a catalog.

04-16-2015, 07:51 PM
(04-16-2015 03:50 AM)walter b Wrote:  What's directly accessible on the keyboard isn't repeated in a catalog.

We more than once thought of creating a master catalog of all commands, including those on the keyboard, to help finding your way through the command set. The problem is that flash is already full and this catalog has no chance to fit in the available space. So we dropped the idea.

There are indeed more commands that appear in more than a single catalog, but that's invisible to the user. There are multiple incarnations of some catalogs, depending on the mode the calculator is in. Commands which make sense in more than one mode can appear in multiple catalog variants.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)