WP34S handheld SLV, ∫ speed
04-15-2015, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2015 06:49 PM by CR Haeger.)
WP34S handheld SLV, ∫ speed
Hello,

Recently purchased/received a preflashed WP34S and hard-copy v3.3 manual. Have enjoyed exploring both and realizing all the HP15C functions/code that I had forgotten (or never learned..).

Using Solve (SLV) and Integration (∫) am I correct in using the following to speed up these functions at the expense of accuracy:

SLV: Include a test (or function) in the program SLV calls that will force the output X to zero when it is "near" zero. I seem to have used g RND with h FIX 03 at the end of the program with some success. I'm also aware that initial guesses matter...

∫: As with the 15C, setting FIX to fewer decimals (say 03 vs 10) speeds things up, as does breaking up functions with "highly variable" versus "flat" regions into pieces.

Thanks for your help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2015, 07:14 PM
RE: WP34S handheld SLV, ∫ speed
(04-15-2015 06:46 PM)CR Haeger Wrote:  Using Solve (SLV) and Integration (∫) am I correct in using the following to speed up these functions at the expense of accuracy:

Solve exits if the last two approximations are sufficiently close, or if the function result is very close to zero. You may force a zero result by rounding the result at the end of your function routine. The 34s has a some special rounding functions that will help here. For instance, RDP 04 rounds the result to 4 decimal places. There is no need to change the display format.

Integrate, on the other hand, quits its iteration as soon as the two last approximations agree when rounded to display precision (!). This means: if you set SCI 4 the result is returned as soon as the result can be considered correct in five significant digits (that's what SCI 4 displays).

Dieter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)