Converting TDS CR5 to .TXT in Windows 8.1
04-05-2015, 02:58 AM
Converting TDS CR5 to .TXT in Windows 8.1
Does anyone know of a program for Windows 8.1 that will convert the Binary TDS CR5 survey data files into a CSV or TXT file? Also I am having some problems transferring from my TDS 48 data collector via the old style RS232 9 pin cable into a modern computer that has only the USB data cable port. I have a 9 pin to USB adapter but the transfer just times out. I get time out if I use a null modem adapter and without it.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

PS: Please post more 50G stuff :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2015, 01:35 PM
RE: Converting TDS CR5 to .TXT in Windows 8.1
(04-05-2015 01:13 PM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  no replies...
Did I put this in the wrong area again?

Whether or not this was placed in the wrong forum is of less importance than that you thought you would get an answer in less than 12 hours. I would at least give it a week or so before I would start commenting that there were "no replies".

Your question is a pretty specific situation that probably only a few of the forum members would know the answer. You have to give them time to actually read your question before you might get a response.

Sorry - But it really bugs me when people seem disappointed that they didn't receive an instant response.

BTW - this is a holiday weekend for many people and they may have other things to do than to read messages posted here.

Give it a little bit of time. Hopefully someone will know the answer.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
04-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Hello,

"A binary file is a file whose content must be interpreted by a program or a hardware processor that understands
in advance exactly how it is formatted. That is, the file is not in any externally identifiable format so that
any program that wanted to could look for certain data at a certain place within the file. A progam
(or hardware processor) has to know exactly how the data inside the file is laid out to make use of the file."

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/binary-file

At work, we have a Windows XP computer for our TDS file transfer. I'm pretty sure the transfer program was made by TDS.
Also, we're using Windows Mobile data collectors. Of course, we have a USB-USB cable. I think your best bet would be
to look through eBay for the transfer program.

Aren't you writing programs for your HP 50g? I assume you need to know how to connect to your total station. Wish I
could help. Maybe Tim Wessman would be generous enough to get you started. I'm curious myself.

Regards,

Mark
04-06-2015, 02:41 AM
Yes we are using TDS 500 to convert our files on an old XP PC, but our old PC is wearing out so we attempted to move everything to our new Win 8.1 PC and it didn't work. TDS 500 wont run on 8.1 and if we connect through carlson we are getting failed to open com port. We dont want to buy new data collectors. and I don't think TDS has any newer software that will run in 8.1 to convert CR5 to ascii?

thanks for your response

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

04-06-2015, 03:21 AM
You could install a virtualization software (VMware, etc) on your new PC and move your old Windows XP/TDS setup into a virtual machine.
That will allow you to use your old softwares in your new Windows 8.1 system.
Regards,
Sylvain
04-07-2015, 12:31 AM
(04-06-2015 03:21 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  You could install a virtualization software (VMware, etc) on your new PC and move your old Windows XP/TDS setup into a virtual machine.
That will allow you to use your old softwares in your new Windows 8.1 system.
Regards,
Sylvain

This sounds interesting, I've never done it so I wonder if it would work.

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

04-07-2015, 01:21 PM
CR5 file: I never dealt too much with cr5 files, but the ones I have archived can be opened with Notepad. If not, try using the data collector to read in the cr5's and export out TXT files.

About transfers:
Plug in the USB-to-serial converter into the Windows 8 machine and make sure it installs properly. Find out what COM number it is functioning as (i.e. COM5). Find hyperterminal on the XP machine. Copy hypertrm.exe and hypertrm.dll to the Window 8 machine in a folder on your C drive. Open hypertrm.exe. Name the connection session something, anything. Choose the COM number the serial converter is using (i.e. COM5). Choose the COM settings to match the calculator (usually 9600, 8, none, 1, none). Click on "Transfer", "receive file". Choose where the file is going and choose "Kermit" protocol, click "receive". hyperterminal is now waiting for file. Go to HP 48 input/output "transfer" menu. Port=wire, type=kermit, fmt=asc, baud=9600, xlat=newl, chk=3, parity=none. In "name", choose the file you want to transfer. Click "send".
This should transfer the file to the Windows 8 machine.
04-07-2015, 11:24 PM
(04-07-2015 01:21 PM)jjb299 Wrote:  About transfers:
Plug in the USB-to-serial converter
If it isn't FTDI chances are it won't work and vice versa.
04-09-2015, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2015 11:11 AM by CosmicTruth.)
(04-07-2015 01:21 PM)jjb299 Wrote:  CR5 file: I never dealt too much with cr5 files, but the ones I have archived can be opened with Notepad. If not, try using the data collector to read in the cr5's and export out TXT files.

About transfers:
Plug in the USB-to-serial converter into the Windows 8 machine and make sure it installs properly. Find out what COM number it is functioning as (i.e. COM5). Find hyperterminal on the XP machine. Copy hypertrm.exe and hypertrm.dll to the Window 8 machine in a folder on your C drive. Open hypertrm.exe. Name the connection session something, anything. Choose the COM number the serial converter is using (i.e. COM5). Choose the COM settings to match the calculator (usually 9600, 8, none, 1, none). Click on "Transfer", "receive file". Choose where the file is going and choose "Kermit" protocol, click "receive". hyperterminal is now waiting for file. Go to HP 48 input/output "transfer" menu. Port=wire, type=kermit, fmt=asc, baud=9600, xlat=newl, chk=3, parity=none. In "name", choose the file you want to transfer. Click "send".
This should transfer the file to the Windows 8 machine.

I think carlson (surveyors cad software) will accept my cr5 file, the big problem i'm having is with the transfer. When i hook up the USB-to-serial adapter
it doesn't install anything, and and I have seen an error in carlson that says failed to open com1 (or any com port i try to open).

(04-07-2015 11:24 PM)RMollov Wrote:  
Plug in the USB-to-serial converter
If it isn't FTDI chances are it won't work and vice versa.

Sorry whats FTDI?

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

04-09-2015, 12:15 PM
(04-09-2015 10:19 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  Sorry whats FTDI?

USB to RS232
04-09-2015, 12:26 PM
... Find out what COM number it is functioning as (i.e. COM5)...
BTW those old gadgets don't recognize COM ports above 4; FTDI cable will most probably pick port 2, 3 or 4 during first install and will use that same one from that moment on - very useful.
04-09-2015, 11:07 PM
(04-09-2015 12:26 PM)RMollov Wrote:  
... Find out what COM number it is functioning as (i.e. COM5)...
BTW those old gadgets don't recognize COM ports above 4; FTDI cable will most probably pick port 2, 3 or 4 during first install and will use that same one from that moment on - very useful.

what I am using right now doesn't seem to recognise any com port, but it looks just like that device you pointed to "Chipi-X10 Cables" I may try one next payday and see if I can get data flowing going, seems cheap enough, even tho the drivers are for windows 7 and below not windows 8.
Is this what your using?

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

04-10-2015, 01:19 AM
(04-09-2015 11:07 PM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  ... drivers are for windows 7 and below not windows 8.
Is this what your using?

I don't use Windows 8.

But FTDI converter has worked flawlessly on *ANY* windows machine having USB port/s, any OS version (32/64 bit) up to and including Win 7. It looks as if it creates a perfect copy of a good old COM port.

FTDI setup instructions for Windows 8
04-13-2015, 01:12 AM
Just saw the posts again. Sorry I didn't get to your questions. The usb-to-serial converter I use is from RadioShack called "gigaware usb to serial cable". I think I had to find the driver for it BEFORE I plugged it in. You may be having trouble getting yours to work because it needs a driver. Try googling your adaptor and the word "driver". Also, I am using a windows 7 machine and I'm not sure if the gigaware adaptor will work in w8. Let me know how it turns out.
04-23-2015, 11:04 AM
I'm going to try using Carlson survey to convert the data and use this
[Image: chipi-X10.jpg.png]
Chipi-X10 Cable
to connect between the data collector environmental cast to the windows 8.1 pc.
I just hope I got the right cable because they have several to choose from and I picked the cheapest one.
I hope to have everything in 2 weeks or less.

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)