Similar to HP 46 ??
03-23-2015, 09:46 PM
Similar to HP 46 ??
I am a new member, please forgive any transgressions here.

In the early to mid 70's I was working as a civil engineering technician for the Arizona Department of Transportation. We were working on a section of Interstate 15 through the North West corner of Arizona. I was working in the field office on a broad variety of civil engineering problems and was using an HP calculator which was very similar to the HP 46. It had the same basic style, same color scheme, same LED display and the same impact printer. But it was wider than the HP 46 with a larger keyboard. As I remember, the printer was on the top right as opposed to top center like on the HP 46. The LED display, I think, was in the center from left to right. Like the HP 46, it was capable of producing the trig functions I needed for the work I was doing. Although I remember the keyboard as being larger, I don't know what was there that is not on the HP 46. Perhaps there were dedicated keys instead of the dual purpose keys found on the HP 46. The machine did not have a tape drive and I don't think it was programable, at least I never used it that way.

I was very fond of that machine and always wished I could find one like it. Having failed in that effort, however, I recently purchased an HP 46. The 46 is as I hoped it would be although I need to repair the printer. I'm sure many of you saw it on ebay. I don't know what is wrong with it yet but the seller thinks it may be a bad drive belt off of the printer motor which I can hear running.

Have any of you ever seen or heard of the calculator, similar to the HP 46, that I described? I will check back here for any responses or if you like, you can send me an email at nn7d@msn.com.

Thanks,
Rich

I don't know what it means to subscribe to a thread or to post a poll so I didn't do anything in those two boxes below. DUH
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2015, 11:05 PM
RE: Similar to HP 46 ??
Google HP 9825
03-23-2015, 11:19 PM
(03-23-2015 11:05 PM)Don Williams Wrote:  Google HP 9825

You don't even have to Google it, info can be found here on the museum site, including pics so you can verify if it's the one you're seeking.

It's here

--Bob Prosperi
03-24-2015, 12:04 AM
The calculator I remember was about the size of the 9825 but it did not have the tape drive or the QWERTY keyboard. I don't believe it had any "ALPHA" capabilities at all

Rich
03-24-2015, 12:17 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 12:22 AM by rprosperi.)
(03-24-2015 12:04 AM)nn7d@msn.com Wrote:  The calculator I remember was about the size of the 9825 but it did not have the tape drive or the QWERTY keyboard. I don't believe it had any "ALPHA" capabilities at all

Rich

Maybe an HP-97 ? edit: no, dumb suggestion, wrong size.

--Bob Prosperi
03-24-2015, 12:25 AM
Was it RPN ?
03-24-2015, 12:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 12:39 AM by Katie Wasserman.)
(03-23-2015 09:46 PM)nn7d@msn.com Wrote:  I am a new member, please forgive any transgressions here.

In the early to mid 70's I was working as a civil engineering technician for the Arizona Department of Transportation. We were working on a section of Interstate 15 through the North West corner of Arizona. I was working in the field office on a broad variety of civil engineering problems and was using an HP calculator which was very similar to the HP 46. It had the same basic style, same color scheme, same LED display and the same impact printer. But it was wider than the HP 46 with a larger keyboard. As I remember, the printer was on the top right as opposed to top center like on the HP 46. The LED display, I think, was in the center from left to right. Like the HP 46, it was capable of producing the trig functions I needed for the work I was doing. Although I remember the keyboard as being larger, I don't know what was there that is not on the HP 46. Perhaps there were dedicated keys instead of the dual purpose keys found on the HP 46. The machine did not have a tape drive and I don't think it was programable, at least I never used it that way.

What you're describing never existed as stated, so you must be misremembering at least something. Maybe it wasn't a HP calculator but another manufacturer. Which of these recollections are you most certain about? I'm sure that the people on this forum will be able to help you figure out what it was.

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-24-2015, 03:07 AM
I am nearly positive it was a Hewlett Packard machine.
I cannot say whether or not it was RPN
I distinctly remember the adding machine type numeric keyboard
I remember the general shape and color scheme of the machine which is like the 46 but wider
I remember the LED display with the magnifiers in front of the digits
I remember the impact printer, loud
I don't remember ever seeing "ALPHA" characters in the display
I am sure there was no tape drive and I don't remember anything like a magnetic stick
The +,-, X,and / function keys were to the right of the numeric keypad just like on th 46
The time frame should have been mid 1970's
I had a lot surveying type problems to contend with. I suppose it's possible I had a separate machine available to do that with but I don't think so. Besides, if that were the case, the machine wouldn't have needed to be any larger than the 46.

Is it possible, that it was an early version of the 46 without the dual function keys. Then the second functions of the dual function keys on the 46 would have to have been handled with additional single function keys?

The power switch may have been a rocker switch rather than the "PUSH-PUSH" on th 46

Rich
03-24-2015, 03:35 PM
I had another thought. I used to be able to add up a column of numbers so that the printer would print each entry as I keyed it into the machine and then, at the end, I could call for the sum. I think that would argue against the RPN configuration in favor of an algebraic machine.
Also, and I'm not sure about this, I think I could call for "SUBTOTALS" as I keyed in the column of numbers.

I don't have a manual for my "NEW" 46 yet and the printer isn't working either so I don't know if it is capable of doing that or not.

Rich
03-24-2015, 04:00 PM
An HP 9815A may be ? Quite close to your description with the exception of the display (not the same LEDs as the 46) and the tape drive.
03-24-2015, 04:28 PM
The 9815 has the general shape and size of the machine I remember but the machine I used didn't have the tape drive, wasn't programmable and and didn't use the 7 segment display. Also, the color scheme was different, The one I remember had a cream colored body and a dark gray keyboard like the 46. I can't be sure about the printer but I seem to remember it being more like the printer on the 46. Although, even there, I'm not sure the one I used back then had then had the large bump on top to accommodate the paper roll inside.

I am also attempting to contact one of my old cohorts from back then, if he hasn't passed away. He also had one of those machines and worked in that office longer than I did. He may remember more details about the calculator.

It's been a long time ago and my memory is not as clear as I'd like it to be. I appreciate the efforts being made to help me identify this old calculator.

Rich
03-24-2015, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 05:46 PM by Katie Wasserman.)
The HP-81 has the SUBTOTAL functions you describe and was in the exact same case as the HP-46 but had financial functions, no trig functions.

If you're pretty sure about the printer mechanism it could have been a non-HP machine as the mechanism in the HP-46/81 was made by Seiko and used in some other calculators. The Compucorp 325, for example, uses the same printer and is about the right size and color as you describe. It has an optional, external tape drive and was programmable, it used a Panaplex display like the 9815.

Did the printer make a lot of noise? Even when not printing? (This would indicate the Seiko printer)

Another possibility (LED display, similar color/size, no tape drive): TI SR-60

And this monster machine from HP (bubble LED display x 3, much larger, no tape drive): HP-9810

-katie

03-24-2015, 05:53 PM
(03-24-2015 03:35 PM)nn7d@msn.com Wrote:  I had another thought. I used to be able to add up a column of numbers so that the printer would print each entry as I keyed it into the machine and then, at the end, I could call for the sum. I think that would argue against the RPN configuration in favor of an algebraic machine.
Also, and I'm not sure about this, I think I could call for "SUBTOTALS" as I keyed in the column of numbers.

I don't have a manual for my "NEW" 46 yet and the printer isn't working either so I don't know if it is capable of doing that or not.

No, it's not. The SUBTOTAL function is typical for a financially-oriented calculator, one that would not have trig functions. I can't think of any calculator of any size/shape/color/display/printer from any manufacturer that has both of these characteristics.

-katie

03-24-2015, 06:23 PM
It seems that I am up against a wall here. What I seem to remember does not fit into the existing universe.

I have been notified that the thread will expire if don't make anymore input. Is it possible to resurrect the thread at a later date if I come up with more pertinent data. I've just about exhausted my memory on the topic. Unless I can make contact with my old friend and learn something more, I'm out of ideas.

The HP 81 looks like it could fit except for the lack of trig functions and the general width that I
recall. I suppose, as I said earlier, I could be wrong about the scientific capabilities.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Rich
03-24-2015, 06:58 PM
Might it have been a 9810 with some redefined keys and an overlay?

I'm leaning toward Katie's idea of the Compucorp though. Other surveying and Right-of-Way types used various Compucorps. I did too, though "mine" didn't have a printer. It was precise and well built, but algebraic and lost it's programs when turned off.
03-24-2015, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 08:15 PM by Katie Wasserman.)
(03-24-2015 06:23 PM)nn7d@msn.com Wrote:  I have been notified that the thread will expire if don't make anymore input. Is it possible to resurrect the thread at a later date if I come up with more pertinent data.

I'm not sure where you saw that information about expiring threads, but threads don't expire here and as far as I know you can post to any thread (that's not locked) no matter how old it is.

Perhaps you were asking if your login ID will expire if you don't post occasionally. I'm pretty sure that it will not. (You can read the whole discussion on this issue here.)

-katie

03-24-2015, 09:49 PM
I was able to an old friend of mine, not the one I was originally looking for but another individual who was well acquainted with the office where i had been working. He informed me that the calculators we had in that office were Monroe/Litton and that they were not scientific calculators. So much for my fuzzy memory.

Re-directing my search, I found Monroe/Litton 1330 on ebay which looks a lot like what I remember and for a lot less than I paid for the HP 46. The picture on ebay was of low quality, however and I could not see the display very well. It looks like the display area was pretty small though so I'm guessing it may be an LED type display. Also, it seems to have the same type of printer as the HP 46. In fact, there are a number of Monroe calculators available at pretty reasonable prices so I may be able to find parts to repair my HP 46 printer.

Does anybody have any experience repairing printers like the one in my HP 46? I don't even know what's wrong with it yet but I can hear the motor running.

Rich
03-25-2015, 12:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2015 12:42 AM by Katie Wasserman.)
(03-24-2015 09:49 PM)nn7d@msn.com Wrote:  Re-directing my search, I found Monroe/Litton 1330 on ebay which looks a lot like what I remember and for a lot less than I paid for the HP 46. The picture on ebay was of low quality, however and I could not see the display very well. It looks like the display area was pretty small though so I'm guessing it may be an LED type display.

Ah! This makes much more sense. I'm pretty sure that the 1330 does have an LED display and the same (or similar) Seiko printer as used on the 46.

Quote:Does anybody have any experience repairing printers like the one in my HP 46? I don't even know what's wrong with it yet but I can hear the motor running.

I'm not sure why the printer drum does not turn when you turn the printer on, it might just be stuck. Try pulling the paper though when the printer show be running this might start up the drum. I have this problem with a Wang 500 calculator.

Even if you get the drum to start turning you still might have a printer problem. The HP-46/81 often needs to have the power supply capacitors changed before it will work properly. Read this artcile about it.

The HP-46 is a far more interesting calculator than the Monroe 1330 and much, much more collectable. So don't feel bad about paying a lot more for it, it's something a lot of collectors here would love to have and will pay a good price for.

-katie

03-25-2015, 01:18 AM
Thank you Katie. I'll check out the 15 V supply as you suggest. I used to be a pretty good ET but my eyesight is beginning to fail which makes all things more difficult. In the late 60"s, I was a digital repairman on the Marine Corps Tactical Data System (MTDS). That machine only had a few integrated circuit voltage regulators in it, All the rest was built from discreet component transistors. That was a massive machine compared to modern equipment and far less capable.

I'll let you know what I find in the 46.

Rich
03-26-2015, 02:38 AM
I've got my "NEW" HP 46 opened up on the bench and the printer module physically removed but still electrically connected. I have checked the 15 V supply and it seems OK as well as a couple other test points on the board which have voltages marked. The wheel inside the printer module spins and if I manually close the little relay contacts, the hammers function but no data prints when I push the print key. All that happens is the display goes dark and the "COGITATION" light comes on.

I can't do much more without a service manual or at least some diagrams. I see there is an operators manual available for $10 which I will order. Does anybody know where I can get a service manual?

The machine is absolutely beautiful inside. It even smells new. The print ribbon looks barely used, I'd be willing to bet it is the original ribbon. The light colored keys are slightly discolored from age and there was a little bit of dust beneath the keys. There were two Service Cards tucked into the little pocket next to the printer instructing the owner on how to ship the calculator to Hewlett Packard in Loveland, Colorado. The machine came in it's original carrying case with two extra rolls of adding machine paper, a dust cover and a power cord.

I am totally thrilled with this machine.

Rich

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)