Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
04-14-2015, 10:12 AM
RE: Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal
(04-12-2015 05:51 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  PS ... I mean, it may be that if the X stuff is not there, its not going to run; which would be short sighted for the RPL/2 people to assume that RPL needs an X11 interface! Of course, there is no reason we cannot give the Edison an X11 'virtual' interface and access it via VNC! ... aah more things to add to the list;

RPL/2 does not require X server. X11 is only required by gnuplot (optional splash screen and lib$motif if you want to create X11 RPL/2 applications). You can use RPL/2 in a simple tty.

I'm waiting for your faulty config.log to check and fix your issue.

Regards,

JKB
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2015, 04:31 PM
My calculator 'board' is going to have the keybuttons surface mounted (along with support chips and LCD) front side, and the Edison Hirose connector and lithium bats backside. It should all fit in a case the size of the HP35s maybe slightly larger (but not much).
[/quote]

How about using a Sharp Memory LCD instead of the usual two-line character LCD? Power consumption is ridiculously low (<100uW); no LED backlight needed; crisp graphics. 100% ready for battery-powered operation.

And I don't know about the Edison, but more recent kernels have support for I2C HID; maybe using something like the TCA8424 would remove any need for polling?
04-14-2015, 06:33 PM
(04-14-2015 10:12 AM)JKB Wrote:  RPL/2 does not require X server. X11 is only required by gnuplot (optional splash screen and lib$motif if you want to create X11 RPL/2 applications). You can use RPL/2 in a simple tty.

I'm waiting for your faulty config.log to check and fix your issue.

merci beaucoup

I have attached a small tar.gz file containing the top-level config.log, as well the recursive config.log found in tools/ncurses-5.9. Again, merci, I was not aware that there was more than ONE config.log/ it appears that the linker cannot find -lieee library? But the confdefs file it says it cannot build is just a simple open C main block...

Kind regards,
marcus
Smile

Attached File(s)
.gz  rpl-build.tar.gz (Size: 11.55 KB / Downloads: 4)

Kind regards,
marcus
04-23-2015, 06:05 AM
Greetings, I now have two Intel Edison stacks (thanks also to Sparkfun) powered of a 2.0 usb hub 2.6A accessed via wifi and usb terminal(s) via 'screen' running on my Raspberry PI 2B. IBCC-- the itty bitty computer company... ha!

I've updated the mraa library to 0.6.2 and have codes running native with both static and dynamic user libraries; significant progress there from a software standpoint.

This week I am still addressing a couple of significant issues with some of this bleeding edge stuff... the mraa library [ mraa_gpio_init() ] causes wifi degradation in wpa_supplicant (this needs to be fixed asap or its a show stopper for mraa and the edison (at least as far as my plans are concerned). I have hope and some great expectation because at least one other person has reproduced this so the community will be on top of it. Also, I have made significant progress with RPL/2... it configures fine now ( but the build tools are still missing something, and about two hours into the make it throws up its hands, I think related to gawk or awk. Between JKB and myself this will be ironed out soon.

On a positive side the mraa library 0.6.2 has a minimal working API set that gives easy access to i2c, spi, ADC DAC, and GPIO... so making the Edison a collaborative connected calculator is absolutely doable as an IoT device... I am so pumped!

yocto linux is extremely stable... these little guys just run and run... days on end without a hickup... the important thing (just like with the Raspberry PI) is power. This is definitely NOT going to be a coin-cell calculator! But then, none of my coin-cell calculators are ever going to be collaborative either!

I've begun design on my 2D flatbed motorized pen plotter; and I've made some progress on acquiring a 3D printer that will be acceptable for keytops and cases...

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
05-23-2015, 01:16 PM
Hello Marcus! I was following your Intel Edison generic calculator shield photo journal thread but have not seen any updates for some time. Any news to report when you have a free moment? Just curious and interested! Thanks!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)