HP 35s won't turn on
03-11-2015, 02:30 AM
HP 35s won't turn on
I had this calculator for about a year. Recently it refused to turn on. One day it was fine, the next it seemed dead. New batteries don't make any difference. Is there a trick when this happens, or is this device repairable? One good thing, though; this prompted me to find a 41CV on eBay, which is in good shape. I have already programmed a feet and inches converter/calculator, since my work on industrial fired heaters involves doing take-offs from a lot of old equipment.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2015, 03:34 AM
RE: HP 35s won't turn on
(03-11-2015 02:30 AM)Mackpeirson Wrote:  I had this calculator for about a year. Recently it refused to turn on. One day it was fine, the next it seemed dead. New batteries don't make any difference. Is there a trick when this happens, or is this device repairable? One good thing, though; this prompted me to find a 41CV on eBay, which is in good shape. I have already programmed a feet and inches converter/calculator, since my work on industrial fired heaters involves doing take-offs from a lot of old equipment.

Try shorting the battery terminals together ( plus to minus ) to totally drain any charge left. Do this to both. Then insert new batteries. Sometimes this is all it takes.

--Bob Prosperi
03-12-2015, 04:29 PM
RE: HP 35s won't turn on
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that didn't yield any results either. It seems as if I press random keys, sometimes I get a brief display on the LCD that shows most or all of the indicator and notification icons, but it doesn't last.

Maybe this is not worth worrying about, now that I have a replacement 41CV that works just fine. Still, it is frustrating.

Any point in disassembling the calculator to see if something is loose?

Maybe I should just donate it to someone who needs parts.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)