Returning to the HP fold
03-01-2015, 02:05 AM
Returning to the HP fold
New member tasp, here. Looks like I have found the right place.

My first HP was a 25 oh so long ago. I still have it, if I had Battery Patrol rebuild the pack I'd expect it would work.

I later bought an HP41CV, and really loved it at tech school. Used it on the job for a few years but then static electricity seemed to fry it so I ordered a CX. I had it modded for 2 speeds with the magnet glued in the battery charger cover. That magnet is long gone, and the CX was stuck on fast for many years. I recently tried a big speaker magnet on it and managed to get it back to regular speed.

I recall selling my card reader many years ago, and have lost track of the buyer. I found a unit on-line and ordered it. I have many recorded programs on cards.

I haven't tried my cassette drive, it has been in storage for 20 years and the battery pack is shot. I have one pack, but it's in the printer, and it barely works. Another one for a BP rebuild.

I think I have a Zenrom somewhere. I found a manual, so it implies I have the rom somewhere.

I have quite a bit of stuff, I'll revisit this as I pull stuff out of storage and see if I can get more of it working.

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2015, 03:02 PM
RE: Returning to the HP fold
Found my Zenrom and CCDrom ! Was getting somewhat worried, there isn't too much left in the hardware crate.

Most of my HP gear has been in storage for 20+ years, nice to be finding items.

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80
03-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Remember that the museum's document set thumb drive will have all known printed manuals and repair info from hp. Some authors have also let their books be scanned there too. As you've seen; asking a question gets concrete answers from multiple sources. Welcome to the fold.
03-01-2015, 04:55 PM
(03-01-2015 02:05 AM)TASP Wrote:  I haven't tried my cassette drive, it has been in storage for 20 years and the battery pack is shot.

Be aware that the pressure pads in your tape cartridges have probably deteriorated. Instructions for repairing the tapes can be found here. I found some adhesive-backed felt hearts at a local craft store for the pressure pad. Two layers worked perfectly.

Click to zoom
[Image: DSC00149.JPG] [Image: nf1cOELquVobczW2foeZ0d5hByFIJswd-6mbw0Pv...24-h843-no] [Image: DSC00156.JPG]

The battery pack is easily rebuilt or replacements can be found on eBay.
03-01-2015, 04:58 PM
This site is fantastic.

I had no idea there was such a thing as an HP41CL till yesterday. I have a pile of PPC back issues, some Keynotes, some catalogs, and quite a bit of hardware.

A problem, however, is I'm almost 60, and my recollection of certain things is hazy.

I found an empty time module case. I had a CV at one time, but I don't recall having the time module built in, I wouldn't have done that myself.

I do have an Extended Functions/2XMemory module that I can't use with my CX. I don't recall any angst about that situation, however.

The guy who bought my card reader took my dead CV. He's 500 miles from here, not sure, even with the internet, if I can track him down. My CV was really screwed up, and I was pretty sure it had static electricity fried, but I've read some repair articles here, and now I wonder.

I have 2 HP-IL modules. I recall one being 'fussy', and that's why there are 2. I see quite a few of those for sale, for some reason, so I'm not worried about a hinky HP-IL.

I bought the Edu-Calc surplus special deal; their catalog shows an offer of buy a Thinkjet and a 9114 for $129 and $199 respectively and get a free HP75D with expansion pod and wand. I remember getting that, and not using the disc drive or the 75 much. I have a 71B too, and it never grabbed my interest like the HP41 family did.

I found a proto board with a Votrax chip connected to my 82166. I recall trying to get my 41 to talk, but I never was able to get it to work.

So much stuff, can't believe I left it all in storage for 20+ years !

03-01-2015, 05:34 PM
(03-01-2015 04:58 PM)TASP Wrote:  This site is fantastic.

Indeed! Nothing like it anywhere.
Quote:I had no idea there was such a thing as an HP41CL till yesterday.

The CL is even more amazing than the posts indicate. Get one! Many of it's features have not been discussed in recent threads (there is an 'old' Forum, which is much larger than the current one, which you can access from the MoHPC home page)
Quote:A problem, however, is I'm almost 60, and my recollection of certain things is hazy.

You have certainly found the right place and are in good company here, and that's not a problem. We're all a bit hazy on some of the details, but what fun it is to clear the haze.
Quote:I have a pile of PPC back issues, some Keynotes, some catalogs, and quite a bit of hardware.

First - immediately order the MoHPC Thumb Drive (see home page). This contains a true wealth of information you certainly want.

Second - Suggest you compare your collection of stuff with what is available on the Thumb Drive and contribute anything you may have that is unique, for all here to enjoy. That is how the collection grew into the amazing and valuable set that it is.

Enjoy the ride! It's nice to get the end, whatever that is for you, but I am confidant the trip through this forum will be fun along the way.

--Bob Prosperi
03-01-2015, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2015 06:16 PM by Mark Hardman.)
(03-01-2015 04:58 PM)TASP Wrote:  I have a pile of PPC back issues, some Keynotes, some catalogs, and quite a bit of hardware.

Welcome! It is good to have you on the forum.

If you are interested in the PPC Journals, take a look at Jake Schwartz's PPC DVD Set. For a nominal price you get scanned copies of almost all of the journals and newsletters from the various HP calculator clubs, past and present.

(03-01-2015 04:58 PM)TASP Wrote:  I have 2 HP-IL modules. I recall one being 'fussy', and that's why there are 2. I see quite a few of those for sale, for some reason, so I'm not worried about a hinky HP-IL.

Also, if you still have an interest in HP-IL, you should look at J-F Garnier's PIL-Box. This allows you to connect your HP-41, HP-75 and HP-71B to your PC. Along with the software resources provided by Christoph Gießelink on his HP-IL page, you will have access to virtual printers, mass storage, a 40/80 column video interface and more.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
03-01-2015, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2015 06:26 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(03-01-2015 06:09 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  Also, if you still have an interest in HP-IL, you should look at J-F Garnier's PIL-Box. This allows you to connect your HP-41, HP-75 and HP-71B to your PC. Along with the software resources provided by Christoph Gießelink's HP-IL page. You will be able to access to virtual printers, mass storage and a 40/80 column video interface--and more.

I'd like to add that with the PIL-Box you have access to a tremendous library of LIF disk (9114) images. You can test drive the images with Emu41 or Emu71/DOS/Win or create floppies for use with your 9114.
03-01-2015, 10:46 PM
Interesting.

I came here with a fairly firm idea about what I wanted to do regarding my HP stuff; unload items that I never used (or used very little) and get a pretty well tricked out HP41CX/IL system up and running.

The CL changes everything.

I looked thru the application module list and found several I recall COVETING back in the 80s. The Paul Munroe Hydrocomp being #1 on the list. I have a brochure for it (somewhere) and if I'd had the $$$ back then I'd have one.

Heck, you guys are way ahead of me, you've got that one and most everything else I've heard of, and a heap of ones I'm amazed were made. And having all of them in the machine all the time is a wonderment.

I'm hoping upon reflection I'll remember more about my collection. I have found another empty ROM module, and it is labelled Extended Functions. I also have my triple converted one, so I don't recall why I have that.

I haven't found my HP25, or my TI-10 (?) or my Commodore SR1400 either. I think there is another box of stuff somewhere I haven't ran across yet.

Last time I moved was in '93, and I built a backyard quonset garage with loads of storage space. Most (all?) my HP stuff was stored out there.

I haven't looked them all over yet, but I think I haven't found all my PPC Journals either. I should have a full set of all the HP41 years.

Of course, if you have them all on a thumbdrive, I'm not going to knock myself out looking too hard for them, LOL!

The old catalogs and brochures are interesting, I clearly was interested in all things 41, and bought quite a bit of stuff.

03-02-2015, 01:57 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 01:58 AM by Jeff_Kearns.)
(03-01-2015 10:46 PM)TASP Wrote:  I clearly was interested in all things 41, and bought quite a bit of stuff.

For anyone interested in the HP-41C/CV/CX system, subscribing (free) to Warren Furlow's site is a must (for some reason, linking to it not allowed here...). As is Jean-Marc Baillard's HP-41 Programs site.

There are many others, including Geir Isene's excellent tribute site with interesting programs.

Jeff
03-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Looking over the materials available on the thumbdrive is amazing. I haven't noticed any omissions in regards to things I have, like HP brochures and EduCalc catalogs.

I remember meeting someone from a PPC type club, probably around 1985, give or take. I can't recall if he was from Quad Cities or the Chicago area. We both had interests in 82162 calendar and banner programs.

I found my 82200 keyboard protector, and I found one for my 71B too. I was surprised, they are 'official' HP products, for some reason I thought they were 3rd party items.

I'm getting together some battery packs to take to Battery Patrol my next trip to the city. I need to see if my Thinkjet and 9114 work. Also, my 82162 doesn't run very long with its 30 year old battery pack for some reason.

I wonder if the warranty is still good?

The card reader should be getting here soon too. I'm anxious to see if I can resurrect some of my old programs. That banner program for the 82162 was really popular. I think I modified a banner program either from the PPC Journal or a 3rd party book. I was able to get the printer to use a fully filled in character as the element for forming the letters, and I duplicated the dot matrix pattern for all the characters it would print to look like the 82162 character set. I hope that one is recoverable.

There is a fast calendar printer routine I liked, the printer never pauses while printing. I think that was another PPC Journal program, and I haven't found it in my back issues yet.

I remember having quite a bit of programs for work, but I have a different career now, and don't care much about those programs.

I had a little 4 inch battery powered CRT TV back in the 80s that I used with my video interface. People at work were surprised a pocket calculator could work with a TV display. Somewhere I have a video tape of a perpetual calendar from 1900 to I can't remember how far in the future. I liked the HP-IL video interface.

03-03-2015, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2015 06:36 PM by TASP.)
Seems like I am contracting the shared 'infection' here.

I'm considering going a little further with what I might want to do in regards to reestablishing my HP41 world.

I'm acknowledging it would be fun (and at times useful, LOL) to have:

HP41C with a quad memory module and time module. It would be for 'daily use' and maybe the one I take on the job.

HP41CV with a card reader and time module, and it would be host to my existing extended functions, double extended memory module. This is the configuration I used the most at a former job, and it would mostly be a display unit at the house, with maybe occasional use with my 'good' HPIL module.

HP41CX dual speed, with card reader, and if I have the cajones (or can find someone to do it) 2 built in extended memory modules, my PPCrom in port 2, my (hopefully) rebuilt hinky HPIL module with an extended I/O inside, and the open port would be for either my Zenrom or CCDrom (can they be combined, I wonder?) and this would be the unit to brag about and impress you guys, [wink].

HP41CL, didn't even know this existed, and now my covetous nature is coming to the fore. What a slick piece of hardware.

Anyhow, this is all subject to change, but I could see the fun in putting a collection together that looks like the above.

03-05-2015, 07:13 PM
Found my HP25 !!

Didn't see the charger, so read up on it and battery issues in the archive here.

After seeing concerns about the charger, and the AA battery suggestion, I quickly modded the battery pack to accept some alkalines. Needed just a small pad of aluminum foil to make the + terminal seat reliably and the machine is good to go.

All display elements light, and the functions, including the programming feature, all work.

Nice.

03-05-2015, 07:42 PM
(03-05-2015 07:13 PM)TASP Wrote:  Found my HP25 !!
[snip]
Nice.

Sounds like this woodstock is OK, but if you have others that won't start, the most common problem (excluding battery leakage damage) is a bad ACT (like the CPU) and recently a Forum member, Panamatik, introduced a replacement ACT with more RAM and other enhancements. I believe it works in all Woodstock models except the HP-27 (definitely 21, 25, 25C, 29C - not sure about the 22). Some hardware skills are needed but all users have reported positive results! More vitange HP machines saved from extinction. Thank you Panamatik!

--Bob Prosperi
03-06-2015, 02:18 AM
Good to know there is a lifeline for my HP25.

For the time being, I'll be pushing on the HP41 collection. I'm looking thru the site and my stored materials.

My PPCJournals are 90% organized so, if an article references an earlier issue I have a good shot at finding it. When the History materials I've order here arrives that will be a moot point, but it is fun looking thru the originals. I think I found the banner program precursor that I used after modifying it somewhat. I added a 'wide' mode, (printed every vertical line of a banner character twice) and I think I used a synthetic character that built up each banner character from solid black character.

Yes, I recall this banner program being a battery and paper hog, but I really liked the look of the finished product. I think I have the magnetic cards for it, and I suspect a cassette tape and a floppy might have some backup copies.

I think I found the PPC listing for the fast(est) calendar printer today too. And the barcode. My wand works, so when I get a decent battery pack for the 82162 I'll get my 'sea legs' back doing things with the 41 I remember the best.

I found some work related magnetic cards too. Haven't even thought much about that place in 25+ years, I suppose at some point I'll look at the software and see what I was doing.

Found my Paul Monroe Hydracomp advertisement too. If it isn't on the site's historical files I'll make it available. The ROM is in the 41CL so I'm thinking you already have all the paperwork on it, but if not, I at least have the sales brochure for it.

Was also looking over the adapter cable I made to break out of my 82166. YIKES, that is a Frankenconnector. It looks extremely homemade.

[shudder]

I was into functionality, it looks like I didn't care much what it looked like. I'm pretty sure that is what connected to the CGP-115.

03-06-2015, 03:53 AM
(03-06-2015 02:18 AM)TASP Wrote:  Good to know there is a lifeline for my HP25.

For the time being, I'll be pushing on the HP41 collection. I'm looking thru the site and my stored materials.

My PPCJournals are 90% organized so, if an article references an earlier issue I have a good shot at finding it. When the History materials I've order here arrives that will be a moot point, but it is fun looking thru the originals. I think I found the banner program precursor that I used after modifying it somewhat. I added a 'wide' mode, (printed every vertical line of a banner character twice) and I think I used a synthetic character that built up each banner character from solid black character.

Yes, I recall this banner program being a battery and paper hog, but I really liked the look of the finished product. I think I have the magnetic cards for it, and I suspect a cassette tape and a floppy might have some backup copies.

I think I found the PPC listing for the fast(est) calendar printer today too. And the barcode. My wand works, so when I get a decent battery pack for the 82162 I'll get my 'sea legs' back doing things with the 41 I remember the best.

I found some work related magnetic cards too. Haven't even thought much about that place in 25+ years, I suppose at some point I'll look at the software and see what I was doing.

Found my Paul Monroe Hydracomp advertisement too. If it isn't on the site's historical files I'll make it available. The ROM is in the 41CL so I'm thinking you already have all the paperwork on it, but if not, I at least have the sales brochure for it.

Was also looking over the adapter cable I made to break out of my 82166. YIKES, that is a Frankenconnector. It looks extremely homemade.

[shudder]

I was into functionality, it looks like I didn't care much what it looked like. I'm pretty sure that is what connected to the CGP-115.

You should also order Jake Schwartz DVD here.

This DVD contains all the PPC Journals (plus a whole lot more), including most 41 programs ever printed in the Journals with barcode, so as you explore old Journal issues, you can quickly scan the program in to check it out.

The fastest calendar printer program you mention was written by Roger Hill who still attends most annual HHC meetings (look here).

--Bob Prosperi
03-06-2015, 04:31 AM
Wow, that is a deal. There is quite a bit to go over just here, and now that too.

Wonder where the time will come from for all this ?

LOL!

Also:

in the bottom of my hardware box, I found a 'replacement' HP-IL receptacle. It has an in and out jack, and 2 blue and 2 yellow leads. Unlike most of the other stuff, this doesn't look like I hacked it up or ever soldered anything to it. I also found (I think) all my port covers for my HP71B. And there are quite a few HP41 keyboard overlays, found the Zenrom pair right off.

It's like a time machine HP Christmas, unpacking all this documentation and hardware has been fun. While I'm surprised somewhat at some of the items I have, it's almost a shame I didn't order more hardware back in the day. Some of the close out prices I'm seeing in the EduCALC catalogs are making me a little dizzy.

03-06-2015, 05:31 AM
Oh oh! Are you married?

:-)
03-06-2015, 07:01 AM
I'm a divorce looking for a place to happen.

Or maybe a murder/suicide . . .

Fortunately, I became aware of my irascible nature early on and have spared at least one if not multiple members of the fairer sex an experience that would have put them off other men for the rest of their lives.

03-19-2015, 02:02 AM
Firming up my collection plans.

I want to 'flagship' (my term) my HP41CX. It is already modded for 2 speed operation, so that is out of the way (also found an article about SOS and it seems they didn't do speed up mods, so I probably won't ever find out who I had do mine)

Also, I've found pictures and descriptions of internally mounting modules, and I've also found a chart of how the port addressing works and how the 41 'knows' upper and lower ports and how many goodies can be in each port electrically (they can be wired to appear as connected to whatever port I decide.

So, I can internally mount a pair of XMem modules and keep the physical ports open for 'stuff'.

I've acquired a nice looking/working card reader, revision G, so that piece is here. The XMems should turn up soon. I'm going to see how I like my pretty much unused ZenROM, if it passes muster, it can be internal to the CX, and wired to appear to the processor as being in the upper card reader port.

My PPCRom will remain a free agent, and spend most of it's time in the port above the card reader. Port 1 will be the 'guest' ROM port and port 3 is for HPIL or the IR module (yeah, got one and an IR printer)

That configuration leaves port 3 upper unused, and on a 'flagship' that's not allowed, so looks like my Extended I/O might get installed internally in one of my HPIL modules. The obvious choice is the one I think has a frayed wire internally on the in or out cable. I'll see if I can do a 'transplant' and an internal XI/O install. That job is not high on the list, LOL.

I finagled a 41C, thinking it would be my take it with me and use machine, but the one that turned up is really nice looking. Really nice looking.

I'm thinking donor body for a CL, bwa ha ha ha ha!!

Moar later . . . .

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)