Serial Port Downloads to 41CL
02-28-2015, 04:15 AM
RE: Serial Port Downloads to 41CL
(02-26-2015 01:54 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Good news: Serial transfers to/from my 41CL now work!

Excellent news!

Were you able to get this to work with the executables that I compiled and posted?

If the binaries that I created do not work, I'd like to know so that I can remove them from the forum.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2015, 04:42 AM
(02-28-2015 04:15 AM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  
(02-26-2015 01:54 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Good news: Serial transfers to/from my 41CL now work!

Excellent news!

Were you able to get this to work with the executables that I compiled and posted?

If the binaries that I created do not work, I'd like to know so that I can remove them from the forum.

Yes they worked fine Mark, thanks again for supplying them. Ray pointed out that the normal .NET runtime pkg actually includes the C# compiler, so I was also able to compile some copies myself as well. Frido also jumped in and sent a set that he built as well. All copies I tried worked fine once I corrected the connector insertion issue.

Thanks again for your help.

--Bob Prosperi
11-19-2016, 07:24 PM
(02-26-2015 01:54 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(02-26-2015 01:50 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  I'll let you know.

So, being completely impatient, I just had to know.

And yes indeed this is exactly what the problem has been, so thank-you Michael!!

To sum up:

Good news: Serial transfers to/from my 41CL now work!

Better news: I did not damage any of the delicate wiring while installing the internal serial port.

Best news: I'm not crazy (well...)

Slightly bad news: It now works, but another small problem has emerged, but I'll start a new thread to discuss it.

THANK YOU to all that offered feedback, ideas, programs, suggestions, etc. Learned a lot in the process.
Hello Bob, may I know how you did you get it working?
11-20-2016, 01:53 AM
(11-19-2016 07:24 PM)aurelio Wrote:  Hello Bob, may I know how you did you get it working?

The serial port connector cable inside the 41C case was in the connector slot, but was not fully connecting internally. I opened the 41C case and carefully but firmly slid the serial cable connector deeper/tighter into the slot on the CL board and then reassembled the unit and it then worked fine.

Also, when you are ready to use the serial cable, be sure to plug the cable jack into the 41C port BEFORE you connect the DB9 end on the PC, as it is possible to damage the 41CL if you do not do so, due to the polarity of the jack design.

Good luck and report your results.

--Bob Prosperi
11-20-2016, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2016 06:33 AM by Ángel Martin.)
The serial connector on my CL boards have always worked flawlessly, and Raymond's CLWRITER/READER do the job every time - and there have been many!

If I had to install it again I'd probably put the cable jack on port#4 instead of port#1 - not so easy to duct the cable there but more convenient if, like me, you never use a card reader.

The board connector sure looks fragile. I had to undo it once to change the board to a newer donor and was worry to damage it in the process. Fortunately it withstood the somehow brutish pulling and poking, such a small area!

Cheers,
'AM
11-20-2016, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2016 10:33 AM by aurelio.)
I've tried to install it with care, and hope to have not damaged plug or slot while doing it.
But if I'm not systematically wrong I'm pretty sure of that,
I got the same result with two different machines so that before to opening the calculator I'll try at least with the V4 to create a loopback connection at the DB9 end of the serial cable and following steps as suggested by Monte

First of all I've checked the factory made cable one more time, who knows?
it's OK
2-tip
5-ring
3-shield
then
7-8 loop (*)
4-6 loop (*)
pins 4 to 6 and 7 to 8 are looped I suppose for RTS/CTS hardware flow control and for DTR/DSR hardware flow control emulation when needs (not our case).

then loopback procedure will follow....

edit: factory serial cable DB9-stereo jack checking

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)