HP35s Serial Numbers Interesting Observation
02-11-2015, 10:15 PM
HP35s Serial Numbers Interesting Observation
I have been doing some analysis of the 35s with cross ref between two distinct units (not emulator). I finally got around to scribing my name on the back-plate, recording the serial numbers, and registering the products with HP.

I noticed something interesting; each of them has the same serial number sticker!(?)!

unit A: CNA44716YZ

unit B: CNA44716XZ

What is wrong with this picture? They only differ by the next-to-last character X vs Y

Is it really possible that these two units were manufactured in the same week, year, lot?

marcus

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2015, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2015 10:39 PM by Tugdual.)
RE: HP35s Serial Numbers Interesting Observation
(02-11-2015 10:15 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  I have been doing some analysis of the 35s with cross ref between two distinct units (not emulator). I finally got around to scribing my name on the back-plate, recording the serial numbers, and registering the products with HP.

I noticed something interesting; each of them has the same serial number sticker!(?)!

What is wrong with this picture? They only differ by the next-to-last character X vs Y

Is it really possible that these two units were manufactured in the same week, year, lot?

marcus
The Y one is male, the X one is female...
Keep them in the same drawer and start a business!!
02-11-2015, 10:40 PM
(02-11-2015 10:38 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  
(02-11-2015 10:15 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  I have been doing some analysis of the 35s with cross ref between two distinct units (not emulator). I finally got around to scribing my name on the back-plate, recording the serial numbers, and registering the products with HP.

marcus
The Y one is male, the X one is female...
Keep them in the same drawer and start a business!!

+1 QOTW

Kind regards,
marcus
02-12-2015, 03:32 PM
First of all, excellent reply Tugdual.

I suppose it is conceivable both units were manufactured close in time to each other. Did you buy them from the same source at (or nearly) the same time?

On a semi-related tangent, I had purchased a Master padlock for a storage unit from my local home improvement store a couple years ago. A couple weeks later, we realized we needed a second storage unit, so back to the same store to buy another padlock. It was a few weeks later when I thought I had grabbed the wrong key before I realized both locks were keyed exactly the same.
02-13-2015, 03:43 AM
(02-12-2015 03:32 PM)Xorand Wrote:  I suppose it is conceivable both units were manufactured close in time to each other. Did you buy them from the same source at (or nearly) the same time?

I purchased them both through Amazon... since my first posting I realized that they did indeed come from the same vendor (about four weeks apart).

Kind regards,
marcus
02-15-2015, 03:52 AM
(02-12-2015 03:32 PM)Xorand Wrote:  First of all, excellent reply Tugdual.

I suppose it is conceivable both units were manufactured close in time to each other. Did you buy them from the same source at (or nearly) the same time?

On a semi-related tangent, I had purchased a Master padlock for a storage unit from my local home improvement store a couple years ago. A couple weeks later, we realized we needed a second storage unit, so back to the same store to buy another padlock. It was a few weeks later when I thought I had grabbed the wrong key before I realized both locks were keyed exactly the same.

useful in your case, but a bit worrying if it holds true for values of n greater than 2. is it possible that these padlocks are missing the pins, such that any key that will fit in the slot will unlock it? this seems more likely to me than two randomly selected locks being keyed the same.

cheers,
rob :-)
02-15-2015, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2015 01:17 PM by Tugdual.)
(02-11-2015 10:15 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  I noticed something interesting; each of them has the same serial number sticker!(?)!
It is weird, mine has no letter CNA +8digits

Also if you check here http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=120193 you see that most people have CNA +8 digits
May be you have a new set (with bugs fixed ?)?
02-15-2015, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2015 07:19 PM by MarkHaysHarris777.)
(02-15-2015 01:14 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  
(02-11-2015 10:15 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  I noticed something interesting; each of them has the same serial number sticker!(?)!
It is weird, mine has no letter CNA +8digits

Also if you check here http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=120193 you see that most people have CNA +8 digits
May be you have a new set (with bugs fixed ?)?

I was initially hopeful of that possibility, naturally. Have you run the self-test on your unit yet (hold the [C] [XEQ] keys together to enter the test)? The first part of the test takes you through some display(s) to check the LCD. The second part of the test allows you to check each of the keys on the keyboard.
1) [C] [XEQ] (hold at the same time)
2) press any key eight times (this checks the LCD)
2b) ... on the eighth keypress watch VERY carefully on the left
you'll see the HP copyright notice, and the firmware date (2007)
3) press each key in sequence left to right top to bottom (the cursor keys < ^ > are considered on the top row)

The test will end with 35s OK or 35s Fail.

Both of my units have a firmware date of (2007); although, they appear to have been manufactured in late November 2014.

Neither here, nor there, both of my units demonstrate the documented quirks; although, I have not yet checked the lock-up scenario... maybe later today.

PS You can put the unit into an autonomous sef-test used at the factory by pressing [C] [MODE] together... press any key to exit

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
02-15-2015, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2015 07:23 PM by Tugdual.)
Like this?
[Image: w2ftjt.jpg]
02-15-2015, 07:25 PM
(02-15-2015 07:20 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  Like this?
[Image: w2ftjt.jpg]

Yupper... that's it

Kind regards,
marcus

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)