Barcode -> .raw file project ---- help requested
02-02-2015, 02:24 PM
RE: Barcode -> .raw file project ---- help requested
(02-02-2015 06:32 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  More homework, great! ;-) I'll get to those on a time permitting basis - after all I have a day job to do.

I was thinking that small routines are less suited to this project, they'll quickly exhaust the limited number of FAT entries, and in theory they're supposed to be easy to enter by hand.

A couple of trivia facts that you may find interesting:

- PPC and Wickes are already dealt with on the PPC_APPS Module. Only one program from the Wickes' book didn't fit there, "KA" - we could consider getting rid of "DIAL" instead but I thought there were already plenty of programs on Key Assignments. Let me know what you think.

- There is already a module with the HP-41 Advantage apps from the Grapevine books. J-F Garnier put that one together, and it's available at TOS and on the CL Library.

- W. Kolb's Curve Fitting program is available on the "Curve Fitting" Module I put together many moons ago; also available at the same sources.

- Of all remaining ones perhaps the more interesting is "McCornack/Jarrett: HP-41 Advance Programming Tips". Would be nice to have RAW files for those or another .DAT virtual drive file.

Cheers,
'AM

Thanks Angel!

No rush with this at all; as Gene proposed, it's really for long-term availability for the user community.

Agree, many of the routines are rather small, with a few larger ones. I think the point though is that most folks won't explore them at all if they have to key them in, so making them available in a module encourages exploration.

What is the FAT limit for a module? There are not a large number of routines, even with all the books I scanned combined, maybe between 20-30.

I have not checked out PPC_APPs yet, I will load it into go41cx today to try and leave feedback. Just getting back into 41-land likely means 2 things though - many crashes (but yay, it's ROM) and my "testing" (likely more like just driving around) may not push the envelope very far. Also, I did not realize Wickes' programs were in there.

Agree with your assesment that "McCornack/Jarrett: HP-41 Advance Programming Tips" is the most intriguing; I've heard of a later Keith Jarret book but never seen it; I don't believe copies exist either on the Museum USB set or at TOS. Anyone?

Definitely no need to add Kolb's programs or the Advantage programs again.

There is a (different?) KA program among those I scanned, but agree there are plenty of these in various places.

If the Towers of Hanoi program appears (I may take that on if time allows, good excercise for building muscle memory on the 41 keyboard) maybe it makes sense to move Wickes programs to the BOOK_APPS to make room to include the Hanoi program with the other PPC ROM stuff?

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Anyone have Wlodek's Extend your HP 41 book? That and the Advanced Programmning tips are both high powered books.

The EF and SP made easy books contain a lot of material as well.

I'm really excited that these materials may soon be more easily and widely available. Thanks to all. Yay!
02-02-2015, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2015 04:57 PM by Mark Hardman.)
(02-02-2015 06:32 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  - PPC and Wickes are already dealt with on the PPC_APPS Module.

Does this include all of the 270 scannable barcode programs from Jake's PPC DVD version 2.15?

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
02-02-2015, 05:13 PM
(02-02-2015 02:24 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  If the Towers of Hanoi program appears (I may take that on if time allows, good excercise for building muscle memory on the 41 keyboard) maybe it makes sense to move Wickes programs to the BOOK_APPS to make room to include the Hanoi program with the other PPC ROM stuff?

No need to, I got them typed up already! - was a dull afternoon after all...
I've had to do some tricky compacting that required changing the XEQ calls to XROMS and alphabetical sorting of the FAT entries --- but I've managed to fit the HANOI stuff in the PPC_APPS - removing the WICKES from it as you also had the idea. It's a much better package now... will post soon.
02-02-2015, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2015 05:16 PM by Ángel Martin.)
(02-02-2015 04:56 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  Does this include all of the 270 scannable barcode programs from Jake's PPC DVD version 2.15?

No way! - I just compiled the files in Joe's virtual drive, plus the HANOI appendix. See above within the thread for details.

Cheers,
ÁM
02-03-2015, 04:12 AM
(02-02-2015 02:39 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 02:06 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Modules manual with program listing and barcodes ...
  • HP: 82182A Time Module Manual Programs
  • HP: 82183A Extended I/O Module Manual Programs
  • HP: 82184A Plotter Module Manual Programs
  • W&W: CCD ROM Manual Programs
  • HP: All North-American & European HP-41 English Solutions Books

Which one do you want ?

Sylvain

I think the HP Module manual programs are also be of interest, but probably less so; owners of these modules may well have keyed or scanned them by now, if they wanted them.

Gene, opinion?

Other opinions?

Gene: I would say any and all of the HP module manual programs as well as all solution book programs would be useful and helpful to have.

Some of these are already available on the 41CL's latest memory reference found here:

41CL V4 memory reference
    The business sales / marketing / status book
    The control systems book
    the electrical engineering book
    The lend/lease savings solutions book
    the test statistics solutions book
    The mechanical engineering book
    the antennas book
    the optometry book
    the physitcs book
    the geometry book
    the high level math book
    The games books - both
    Timer solutions book

perhaps these too:

chemical engineering book
    fluid dymanics book
    HVAC book
    Solar Engineering
    HP Civil Engineering

Any other books are not in the 41CL yet. Check out the memory reference for details.

Question: Getting tough here... :-) ... are there any HP 67/97 solution books not done for the HP 41 where it could make sense to convert any of their programs into .rom files?

(OK, yes I know I'm crazy on this one).
02-03-2015, 06:03 AM
(02-03-2015 04:12 AM)Gene Wrote:  Question: Getting tough here... :-) ... are there any HP 67/97 solution books not done for the HP 41 where it could make sense to convert any of their programs into .rom files?

(OK, yes I know I'm crazy on this one).

I'm not touching those with a 12-foot pole! haha -
02-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Attached is the updated version of the PPC_APPS module, with the Hanoi programs in and Wickes' programs out - these will be included in the BOOKS_APPS as per Bob's suggestion.

I've only done minimal testing so go ahead and take it for a spin and report issues. The hanoi programs in particular may be iffy, the source document is all but clearly legible and there are no examples included in the PPC manual - appendix A (pages 33, 37, 61, 133).

Also the "VK" program seems bogus, it's ported straight from Joe's file and I haven't compared it with the listing in the manual yet.

Attached File(s)
.zip  PPC_APPS.zip (Size: 17.65 KB / Downloads: 26)
02-03-2015, 02:27 PM
(02-03-2015 12:39 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Also the "VK" program seems bogus, it's ported straight from Joe's file and I haven't compared it with the listing in the manual yet.

Strange. In case it helps, here's a re-scan and re-do of VK all by itself on its own LIF image: http://holyjoe.net/hp/VK.zip

There's a program in the PPC ROM called VK. Perhaps that got mixed up with this VK.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2015, 03:37 PM
(02-03-2015 02:27 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Strange. In case it helps, here's a re-scan and re-do of VK all by itself on its own LIF image: http://holyjoe.net/hp/VK.zip

There's a program in the PPC ROM called VK. Perhaps that got mixed up with this VK.

Thanks Joe, I checked the program listing and it's correct.

It however shows gohst entries for used keys "60" and "80" at the end of the execution, just before showing 'DONE".

I then copied it to RAM and ran it from there: squeaky clean! so what about this one? There must be something not agreeing with the ROM setup...
02-04-2015, 02:55 AM
(02-02-2015 04:56 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  Does this include all of the 270 scannable barcode programs from Jake's PPC DVD version 2.15?

Gene: I think this is a great idea too.
    Roger Hill's fast calendar printer.
    PI to 1188 places
    and more!
02-04-2015, 04:50 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 04:51 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
(02-02-2015 06:32 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  - Of all remaining ones perhaps the more interesting is "McCornack/Jarrett: HP-41 Advance Programming Tips". Would be nice to have RAW files for those or another .DAT virtual drive file.
Hello Angel,
I have sent you an email with a LIF file containing all the book programs that had barcodes for them.
Sylvain
edit: typo
02-04-2015, 07:35 AM
(02-04-2015 04:50 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I have sent you an email with a LIF file containing all the book programs that had barcodes for them.

Merci bien Sylvain, I'll get to these as soon as I have a chance... the queue grows longer! ;-)

Best,
ÁM
02-04-2015, 07:36 AM
(02-04-2015 02:55 AM)Gene Wrote:  Gene: I think this is a great idea too.
    PI to 1188 places
    and more!

RAW files, plz...
02-04-2015, 01:49 PM
(02-04-2015 04:50 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I have sent you an email with a LIF file containing all the book programs that had barcodes for them.

Thanks for scanning and sending Sylvain; several of us are quite curious to see these programs as apparantly this book was not widely seen. Is the book scannable? When you are exceedingly bored?

--Bob Prosperi
02-11-2015, 07:29 PM
A quick update.

Angel is being most helpful with all of this. A previous post included the PPC_apps .rom and he has the book barcode .raw files for conversion too. :-)

In addition, I did some website hunting and found some fun programs by JMB (poker etc) and these will make their way into a .rom sometime.

Meanwhile, I will be going through the bar code listings from the PPC Journal and Datafile issues and pulling out programs for inclusion in some future rom images.

Some programs (big game listings like Othello, Wizard of Pinball, Dungeon of Death, etc.) are already in roms like Funstuff. But others are not. I'm certainly going to pull out Roger Hill's fast calendar printer and Ron Knapp's PI to 1188 places. Others will be what seems useful, interesting, or helpful to me.

If you have specific programs from the PPC Journals or Datafile you'd like to see included, speak up. :-)

Thanks to everyone for the great work!
02-12-2015, 04:42 PM
(02-04-2015 02:55 AM)Gene Wrote:  

Gene: I think this is a great idea too.
    PI to 1188 places
    and more!

Those 270 (which are now 296 in current version 2.16) were only the ones from the British Datafile. The other ones from the PPC Journal number over a thousand.

Jake
02-13-2015, 04:00 AM
Actually it was PI to 1000 places by Ron Knapp, but I digress.

I have gone through the PPC Journal / Datafile DVD and pulled out program PDF listings (Thanks Jackie!) for programs that are not totally obsolete.

What's obsolete? Somewhat in the eye of the beholder, but given the Sandmath ROM, decimal to fraction programs, permutations, etc., are obsolete, IMO.

But, there are many other programs that are not really covered by available HP 41 rom files on the 41CL or the emulator world.

I have sent Angel some .raw files to check out. These were created by taking the Hex DUMP from each barcode listing that Jackie and Jake put together, removed the carriage returns, and saved as a .dat file. Then I ran the HP41UC.EXE file and converted them to .raw format. Relatively painless.

What I have sent to Angel now include these programs:

PI to 1000 places
e to 2900 places
Fastest Calendar printer
Not quite as fast but a smaller better calendar printer

I have pulled out a lot of games that are not in FUNSTUFF or other game modules. Games such as checkers, Dungeon of death, treasure island, ghost town adventure, planet lander, lunar lander, super detective, sea battles, mastermind, and more.

I have also pulled out some tone / sound programs (Star Wars music, Bach, a program that plays EVERY synthetic tone one after the other).

I pulled out banner printer programs as well.

One thing I also did was to pull out the coconut grove files from the Datafile issues. These include many smaller programs from questions sent to the column writer and placed into a big program listing.

More might come later, but anyone can generate .raw files if I can, as long as you have the PPC Journal disks (Thanks Jackie and Jake!)

Stay tuned!
02-13-2015, 12:37 PM
(02-13-2015 04:00 AM)Gene Wrote:  Then I ran the HP41UC.EXE file and converted them to .raw format. Relatively painless.

Thanks for providing the simple recipe Gene, makes it easy for others to join in.

For those wanting to contribute their favorite program, HP41UC.EXE can be found here.

--Bob Prosperi
02-14-2015, 01:19 PM
(02-13-2015 04:00 AM)Gene Wrote:  I have pulled out a lot of games that are not in FUNSTUFF or other game modules. Games such as checkers, Dungeon of death, treasure island, ghost town adventure, planet lander, lunar lander, super detective, sea battles, mastermind, and more.

If memory serves the Dungeon and Ghost Town are in the ADVENTURE modules - I remember scanning the bar codes many moons ago when I prepared them. There is a program index posted somewhere in TOS, would be good to rescue from oblivion...

Got the Wickes/Wlodek Module almost ready to go - it's brain therapy after the Floating FIX project!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)