What are your calculator new year's resolutions ?
12-31-2013, 09:41 PM
What are your calculator new year's resolutions ?
The New Year is upon us. Every year I make a few New Year's resolutions, and then promptly break them. This year one of them is to spend less than $1K on calculators, but I'm already more than $200 over that. Yesterday I bought a WP 34S and spare HP 30b along with various accessories. My goal is to not buy any calculators in 2014 and spend less than $100 on associated accessories such as printed manuals, but I will probably fall off the wagon as something else catches my eye. My other resolution that I will probably break is to not gain back the 10+ pounds I've managed to lose this year.

So, what are your New Year's resolutions that you will probably break ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2013, 09:56 PM
RE: What are your calculator new year's resolutions ?
Mine is to rid myself of some of the ones that I don't use that much. It will be tough. I'll post them here first in the hope that someone in this community will be interested and I won't have to deal with ebay at all.
12-31-2013, 11:25 PM
I started December purchasing all the 48sx series accessories that I missed out on when it was in production, and I was a cash-strapped engineering student. December has so far brought me a 41CV Emulator Card and a 'Holland' 48sx math card. My goal for 2014 is to learn more functions in my 34s, read the printed manual that is on its way for the 34s, and also finally get around to some programming that is tardy. I hope to acquire a 42s, and spend some time with the ipad 67 emulator (fantastic value, btw!!!).

Happy New Year to all!

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
01-01-2014, 12:09 AM
this year I would like to sell my prime and buy 8 more 48 series machines so will achieve the magic number of 48 units Smile

regards!
01-01-2014, 01:03 AM
(12-31-2013 09:41 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  So, what are your New Year's resolutions that you will probably break ?

Like every year: Get rid of everything with an LCD display and keep only the calculators that glow in the dark. And some purely mechanically ones.
01-01-2014, 01:16 AM
(12-31-2013 09:41 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  The New Year is upon us. Every year I make a few New Year's resolutions, and then promptly break them. This year one of them is to spend less than $1K on calculators, but I'm already more than $200 over that. Yesterday I bought a WP 34S and spare HP 30b along with various accessories. My goal is to not buy any calculators in 2014 and spend less than $100 on associated accessories such as printed manuals, but I will probably fall off the wagon as something else catches my eye. My other resolution that I will probably break is to not gain back the 10+ pounds I've managed to lose this year.

Michael; I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that if the 43 comes out in '14 you're going to fall one short of your no-new-calculators goal, but i'll be right behind you.
01-01-2014, 01:38 AM
(01-01-2014 01:16 AM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  
(12-31-2013 09:41 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  The New Year is upon us. Every year I make a few New Year's resolutions, and then promptly break them. This year one of them is to spend less than $1K on calculators, but I'm already more than $200 over that. Yesterday I bought a WP 34S and spare HP 30b along with various accessories. My goal is to not buy any calculators in 2014 and spend less than $100 on associated accessories such as printed manuals, but I will probably fall off the wagon as something else catches my eye. My other resolution that I will probably break is to not gain back the 10+ pounds I've managed to lose this year.

Michael; I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that if the 43 comes out in '14 you're going to fall one short of your no-new-calculators goal, but i'll be right behind you.

That's why I bought an extra HP 30b. Wink
01-01-2014, 01:55 AM
(01-01-2014 01:38 AM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:16 AM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  Michael; I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that if the 43 comes out in '14 you're going to fall one short of your no-new-calculators goal, but i'll be right behind you.

That's why I bought an extra HP 30b.

Sorry, but an HP 30b won't help you for a 43S. And I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the 43S won't come out in '14. The 34S team doesn't have any HW yet, and SW takes time. Hate to tell you that ...

d:-/
01-01-2014, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2014 08:30 PM by Eddie W. Shore.)
Put at least 25 to 50 programs in the User Program Contribution section on this page. Most likely will be for the HP Prime, but I'll try to mix it up.

Also, to be more active in this forum than I was in the last few couple of years.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-02-2014, 01:22 AM
Start using my new 48SX extensively and buy a few cards for it if I can find them especially a maths card.

Start programming in RPL some useful programs in probability theory.

Try to avoid temptation of buying a black screen GX to compliment my G.

Happy new year to all.

HP-28S (1988 US model), DM41X (2020)
01-02-2014, 02:20 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2014 02:21 AM by Les_Koller.)
I would like to lose 50 pounds so my diabetes is better controlled. I would like for a minimum of 80% of my Algebra 1 students to pass the End of Course Examination with proficient or advanced status. I would like to add 2 birds to my birding life list (currently at 405 species). I would like to add 10 new butterflies to my list (currently 60 species). I would like to add two states to my travel list (currently at 37). I would like to reach the 500 club for geocaches found (probably my most easily attained goal...currently at 330). I would like to STOP getting distracted so that I can catch up on some reading ( I had read my entire library, but I added over 300 books to it this year that I haven't been able to start on). And for God's sake, quit spending money on calculators! (probably the HARDEST goal to attain LOL). Any way, I hope you all have the Happiest New Year, regardless of ability to keep a resolution!

I'm a math teacher. Of course I have problems.
01-04-2014, 05:27 PM
My calculator's resolution is still 320x240. Badum-cha! I'll be here all weekend, folks!

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
01-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Find an HP-9821 (a 9820 with a cassette drive instead of a card reader. I would pay an INSANE AMOUNT OF MONEY for one of these in good condition.)

I keep thinking about trying to set up a 9845 system, but I don't really have any place to physically put one.

Convince the membership that Reno really is the best choice for HHC 2014.
01-11-2014, 07:49 PM
(01-11-2014 05:39 PM)dramsey Wrote:  Convince the membership that Reno really is the best choice for HHC 2014.

David I guess it would suffice to offer your collection as door prizes.

cu at Reno, Günter
01-11-2014, 10:41 PM
(12-31-2013 09:56 PM)Marcel Samek Wrote:  Mine is to rid myself of some of the ones that I don't use that much. It will be tough. I'll post them here first in the hope that someone in this community will be interested and I won't have to deal with ebay at all.

That's a tough one for me too! Although there are some duplicates that I may try to sell. I recently sold a spare HP-15C LE to a Brit for a very reasonable price. Now I am beginning to regret it as the prices seem to have sky-rocketed, and my son is eyeing the only one I have left!

I would like to convert one of my HP-41C units to a CL and become proficient in RPL programming. In the meantime, limiting my collection for 2014 is a resolution I will likely break.

Jeff
01-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Dear All,

it's a lot of fun and very interesting to read about your New Year's resolutions. So here are mine:

- find more time to work with all the neat calcs I have (and put some articles here in the forum)
- get a 41CX at a resonable price
- repair the printer in my 97

Repairing the 97 is the most difficult to achieve in this list, 'cause this is the very first HP I bought way back in 1975 or 1976 and it is still working except for the paper advance mechanism and I'm afraid to ruin it. Maybe I will need your help if I got stuck :-)

Best regards

Karl

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)