Putting Casio fx-991CW in perspective.
12-09-2023, 05:09 PM
RE: Putting Casio fx-991CW in perspective.
Totally agree, the 991CW is one big mess for me - sometimes illogical keyboard layout, almost all advanced functions are burried in menu, formatting the result and variable storage with recall is weird.
But one aspect in 991CW is better - the math toolbox
For example I don't understand why function "ln" and "log with different base" shares the same button. I should expect sharing the same button for "log" and "log with different base", similar to square root and the n-th root.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2023, 03:52 AM
Is there any game for the FX-991CW?

HP-12C Gold / HP-12C Platinum
12-11-2023, 05:55 PM
I think that the fact that the spreadsheet data is not lost when switching modes basically forgives the missing multi-statement colon. You can also use f(x) and g(x) inside the spreadsheet mode which makes it way more useful. Stat data is kept even after power cycling, so that's also nice. 60 minute time-out is nice.

The simplified layout is definitely an effort to enter into the lower grade classrooms. The 991ex definitely had its learning curve. The new 991cw is definitely slower, but more self-explanatory (in most cases). Some things, like switching between fraction and decimal view were total fails.
12-11-2023, 07:25 PM
(12-11-2023 05:55 PM)wb.c Wrote:  I think that the fact that the spreadsheet data is not lost when switching modes basically forgives the missing multi-statement colon. You can also use f(x) and g(x) inside the spreadsheet mode which makes it way more useful. Stat data is kept even after power cycling, so that's also nice. 60 minute time-out is nice.

This is my general take on it too. If these particular features and improvements are extremely important to you - especially the data-retention improvements - get the CW. Everyone else should get the EX.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-13-2023, 09:31 PM
(12-11-2023 07:25 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  This is my general take on it too. If these particular features and improvements are extremely important to you - especially the data-retention improvements - get the CW. Everyone else should get the EX.

The EX is getting harder to find new these days.

— Ian Abbott
12-13-2023, 10:09 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2023 10:14 PM by Matt Agajanian.)
(12-13-2023 09:31 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(12-11-2023 07:25 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  This is my general take on it too. If these particular features and improvements are extremely important to you - especially the data-retention improvements - get the CW. Everyone else should get the EX.

The EX is getting harder to find new these days.

Truer than true. Be prepared for another ‘This week's super high prices on TAS’ story.
12-14-2023, 01:14 PM
(12-13-2023 10:09 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  
(12-13-2023 09:31 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  The EX is getting harder to find new these days.

Truer than true. Be prepared for another ‘This week's super high prices on TAS’ story.

Thankfully, based on my experience with Casio prices on ebay, I'm not too worried about 991EX availability in the future. They produced an enormous amount of that model, so I'm sure there will be plenty of used ones to go around for a long time. It's not particularly difficult or expensive to get a nice 991 or 115 from any of the much older generations (D, S, W, MS, ES...).

The funny thing is that I do like the CW - it's slimmer, the keyboard feels better, and they've made some important improvements to the spreadsheet, stats, and auto-power-off. But I recognize that nearly everything is more efficient to key in on the EX. In other words, I don't mind the CW for a quick one-off calculation here and there, but I sure wouldn't want to use it heavily for a math class! I'd probably just bring both to have the best of both worlds. Smile
12-14-2023, 05:21 PM
I mean, Casio themselves state is quite well. They compromised efficiency for "ease of use" and "approachability". They did however, provide some significant improvements in capability.

https://www.casio.com/intl/scientific-ca...velopment/

The CW is in fact more capable than the EX, but it is less efficient to use.
12-14-2023, 07:06 PM
(12-14-2023 05:21 PM)wb.c Wrote:  I mean, Casio themselves state is quite well. They compromised efficiency for "ease of use" and "approachability". They did however, provide some significant improvements in capability.

https://www.casio.com/intl/scientific-ca...velopment/

The CW is in fact more capable than the EX, but it is less efficient to use.

Interesting page, I hadn't seen that before. I do think the redesign improves overall discoverability of the calculator's functions, but as you say, it's less efficient to use. I think they could greatly improve on that by simply adding number-key accelerators to the menus, similar to what the EX has, but extend it to the full range of 0-9 keys so that frequently-used functions can be called up by pressing Catalog (or Home) and entering a couple of digits to select an item 2 or 3 levels deep in the menu. Maybe even make that an option you have to enable in the System Settings menu so that the menus are visually less cluttered by default. As it stands, you just have to spend too much time relying on the arrow keys. Ideas for a possible fx-991CW 2nd Edition. Smile
12-14-2023, 07:54 PM
I think they should have made a 991CW-Basic and 991CW-Pro, with the pro having similar key efficiency as the previous 991EX model. But, hey I don't work for Casio and I'm sure they invested a lot in research and development of the 991CW.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)