Just to say "Hi, folks!" (and a little more)
01-04-2015, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 05:51 PM by Luiz C. Vieira.)
Just to say "Hi, folks!" (and a little more)
Hi, folks.

It's been a while...

I was not even aware of the forum's new look... I felt a bit lost, though.

I actually had to create a new account so I am now a junior member... Could not remember what e-mail shoudl I use, not even sure if the e-mail I had back in 2001 still exists (do not know which one, beleive me)

My calcs are packed for sometime now, I think it is time to put the batteries in and give them some breathing time.

I will be back soon, promise. Unfortunately I have been trying to prove a 53 YO teacher can still teach computer science with new technology instead of teaching how to use a computerssaurus rex running plain-text and keyboard-only OS's... I've been dealing with W7, W8, Ubuntu 14.10, network security, Java environment & development, distributed systems, Arduino-based interface with Tablet (Android) apps, and some more basic subjects. Main problem is that I had to learn almost all of it by myself in the last 2-3 years so I could survive as a teacher, and I had to do it right.

My newest calc is a Prime, bought last year (October 2013) and I did not have the time yet to read the ACTUAL downloaded manual... As I said, it's been a while...

See U soon.
Luiz
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2015, 07:08 PM
RE: Just to say "Hi, folks!" (and a little more)
Welcome back Luiz! It's been too long!

Luiz was the first person besides myself to be allowed to delete posts from our old forum. He used this power strictly for spam removal. That was when spam was just starting to appear on web forums.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Just to say "welcome back" here too...

We missed you Luiz.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
01-04-2015, 07:33 PM
Luiz, while I just mostly read a lot of postings (and learn a lot!), I have missed your inputs to this forum. Welcome back!
01-04-2015, 07:35 PM
HI, Dave. Thanks for your welcome!

Yes, I remember those days quite well. Thank you, too, for your confidence in my judgment. I once removed a post from a contributor who actually wanted to add an article (remember that?), but it ended up well because a good article was added later. I confess I never forgot that situation and I took that as a reminder that such actions could cause unwanted consequences. Removing SPAM was aways safer and somehow necessary. It's always been a priviledge, thanks.

Well, it's been almost 14 years now since I became a member. I confess I was just 'swimming in other seas", but I never intended to vanish away from here. It's good to be back.

And congratulations! The new look is awsome.

Cheers.
Luiz (Brazil)
01-04-2015, 08:18 PM
I have vague memory of something like that but I don't think I ever thought it was as big a deal as you did. There will always be some "hiccups" in running a forum with lots of legit users and lots of spammers. I expect all of my moderators to occasionally make a mistake as well has to interpret situations differently than I do. Nonetheless, the collective mistakes and interpretations of multiple good people is likely to be much better overall than just one person running everything.
01-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Welcome back Luiz, you old "shining limping clam" you.

BTW: you used the quantica address back then and the ipserver one in '02. I've still got some of our emails.

-d (gross un-smoothed stone) b
01-05-2015, 07:46 AM
(01-04-2015 05:46 PM)Luiz C. Vieira Wrote:  My newest calc is a Prime, bought last year (October 2013) and I did not have the time yet to read the ACTUAL downloaded manual... As I said, it's been a while...

See U soon.
Luiz

Greetings Luiz, so glad to have you back! Been too long for sure...

I see you've straddled into the dark sides ;-) so to reel you back and as a welcome-back offering see the attached module, which contains (in section 2) your classic program "Complex Number Calculator" - a piece of history now committed to a ROM/MOD file.

Best wishes,
'AM

Attached File(s)
.zip  CRTVONK.zip (Size: 9.17 KB / Downloads: 7)
01-05-2015, 08:36 AM
Muito bom dia uma vez mais, Luiz!

Things are going on, sometimes even progressing. Take your time and read.

Cumprimentos,
d:-)
01-05-2015, 03:15 PM
Hallo, Walter; wie gehts? Alles Gut?

(01-05-2015 08:36 AM)walter b Wrote:  Take your time and read.
I guess it will take me a month or so just for 'downloading & upgrading' my brain cells... so I can post usefully.
Cheers!
Luiz
01-06-2015, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 04:14 PM by Etienne Victoria.)
Hi Luiz !

I've been missing you !!

And so glad you're back ! You don't need to "download & upgrade" your brain cells :-)

Thanks to Tobie, PANAMATIK, Chris, Hans...and many other contributors there are lots of interesting projects going on !

Welcome and a Happy Year 2015 !

Etienne
01-06-2015, 01:07 PM
Ciao Luiz, happy to read you again Smile
01-06-2015, 01:45 PM
(01-04-2015 07:35 PM)Luiz C. Vieira Wrote:  Well, it's been almost 14 years now since I became a member. I confess I was just 'swimming in other seas", but I never intended to vanish away from here. It's good to be back.
Cheers.
Luiz (Brazil)

Olá Luiz,

I'm a new member of MoHPC (just less than one year old) since I started looking into vintage calculators once again.
However I have read many of your past posts from the MoHPC archive section, specially related to the electronics/repair aspects.

So, welcome back!

Receba um Abraço deste lado do Atlântico!
JM

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

01-06-2015, 02:44 PM
Welcome back!

(01-04-2015 05:46 PM)Luiz C. Vieira Wrote:  I actually had to create a new account so I am now a junior member...

That was true for all of us. The new forum isn't just an upgrade to the old one, it's a full replacement. None of the former members were migrated. I even had to change my user name from "Marcus von Cube, Germany" to just my name because the comma isn't an allowed character.

In my opinion, the main advantage of the new forum is that the info which posts have already been visited is stored on the server side while the old forum used to store this info on each client PC individually.

A possible driver for Dave was the advent of the Prime which was asking for separate sections because some members complained about what they considered "noise" in the good old forum. We had a similar discussion when the WP 34S was new...

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
01-06-2015, 03:29 PM
(01-06-2015 02:44 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  Welcome back!

Welcome back from me too!

Quote:A possible driver for Dave was the advent of the Prime which was asking for separate sections because some members complained about what they considered "noise" in the good old forum. We had a similar discussion when the WP 34S was new...

More than a possible driver I think it was the way most members wanted the "noise" issue to be resolved. To date, this has been very effective with 36% of posts in the General Forum, 28% of posts in the Prime Forum, 18% of posts in the Not Quite HP (aka, 34s and new 43s) Forum, 7% in the Not Remotely HP Forum and 11% scattered about.

Also, Luiz, the new forum allows for nicely formatted math expressions and other cool things. Take a look through the Test Forum for some examples.

-katie

01-10-2015, 09:03 AM
I was off for years & they lost me too.

I am a junior member as well. But was on here for many years.

Right now I'm using a 71b (fully blown) as my service machine and a 67 NOS is my backup holster.
01-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Wasn't it 2005 when Dave required a registration? My entry date was set to 2005 back then, allthough reading and writing for years already. Same drama, but a tad more hidden.

Prof. Kercheval, congratulations for becoming a member ;-).
01-10-2015, 10:39 AM
BTW:

Luiz I definitely recall your name from the "old" days. I looked the board up again after I started uncovering and cataloging all my of HP stuff early in 2014.

I am doing the same thing with my Atari 2600 stuff from the early 1980s. I am on a board for that too.

JK
01-13-2015, 08:28 PM
Hi Luiz, we've missed you!! Good to see you again!!

Almost the same situation here, a lot of work for us teachers/professors (56 YO on this side is the main difference). I also have a Oct 2013 Prime but I have had no time to learn about it yet...

Welcome back!!!

BTW, I have nothing to say about our respective teams in the 2014 FIFA World Cup... :-)

Andrés C. Rodríguez (Argentina)

Please disregard idiomatic mistakes.
My posts are mostly from old memories, not from current research.
01-19-2015, 12:47 AM
Hola, Andrés; que tal?
I'm still pushing hard to find the time to read the essentials so far in order to, at least, understand the subjects around here. Hopefully I'll be posting - and answering - in February.
About football: those guys make too much money by kicking balls - and other parts of their opponents bodies - and I feel depressed by watching them trying to be worthy of their payments. Not even in the WC games... I became aware of the finals because someone told me. In Brazil it is rare to find a regularly educated football player, almost all of them leave school to kick. So, I gladly join your pledge not talking about it, too...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)