HP-39GII: Will it become a desired collectible?
01-12-2015, 10:29 PM
RE: HP-39GII: Will it become a desired collectible?
(01-12-2015 10:07 PM)jebem Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 09:24 PM)Hlib Wrote:  My HP-39GII yesterday finally died after a warranty term.

Hello and welcome to our MoHPC forum.

May I ask you:
What happened to the calculator?
It doesn't power ON anymore?
Or is it other problem?

Thanks.

The problems enumerated by you I studied a long ago, on many shallow things I left off to pay attention out of regard for HP. I will write about it later.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2015, 10:59 AM
So, to summarize my findings so far:

1. This HP-39GII is not a model that most of our fellow collectors will cherish, due to a number of different reasons:
1.1 It is not RPN;
1.2. It is oriented to education only;
1.3. The colors are not attractive to many;
1.4. It is too new to be a collectible that can be discussed here;
1.5. It can't be re-purposed due to insufficient information, high sdk costs and SoC obsolescence.
1.6. Other reasons?

2. Some people report a number of issues related to firmware bugs, that were never fixed.

3. Other people report issues when trying to update the firmware using the existing HP tools.

4. So far, I couldn't find reports on failing hardware.

For alll of the above, I'm very happy to have acquired my HP-39GII, still new in the box.
I guess it will stay sealed in the blister for the next years to come.
20 years from now we will talk again on this subject Smile

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

01-14-2015, 02:19 PM
(01-12-2015 09:24 PM)Hlib Wrote:  It is first necessary to rememder about deception of the real RAM size and inaccessible 80MB of flash (as be said in an advertisements).

Not sure I understand what "deception" you are talking about. If I am remembering correctly after all this time, there was 256KB of RAM, and 128MB of flash in the 39gII.

Approximately 240KB of RAM was left for the user, and something like 105 MB of flash. While it would be difficult to fill up the flash because you'd basically have to create large files (through communication or manually), power down the calculator, power it up, then do a full reboot (in order to save the files to RAM, then flash, then on reboot it wouldn't load the flash files into RAM until useage)

I personally had one that had a bit more then 90MB saved on it. I agree it wasn't extremely easy to use the "80MB" of flash, but I can't see what deception you are talking about.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
01-14-2015, 03:59 PM
<Re: HP39gII teaching materials online
Message #12 Posted by Tim Wessman on 21 July 2012, 2:47 a.m.,
in response to message #11 by Gilles Carpentier
The big culprit for size here is that everything is unicode based and your source code is kept intact as part of the program. The 50g userRPL code is actually compiled into pointers so that is all lost.

And yes, there will be continual improvements and more refinement and new features. One of the major points of creating a calculator from scratch was to make ongoing maintenance much easier.

TW>
The program on CASIO occupies to memory tenfold less than in 39gii. I do not need beautiful explanations. Me it seems to, you really never worked on 39gii.
01-14-2015, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 05:22 PM by walter b.)
(01-14-2015 03:59 PM)Hlib Wrote:  <Re: HP39gII teaching materials online
Message #12 Posted by Tim Wessman on 21 July 2012, 2:47 a.m.,
in response to message #11 by Gilles Carpentier

TW>

If you want to respond to a particular post, PLEASE go to that post and press the button <Quote>. As you see, you can delete some or even all text of said post - the forum software will put your response at the right position in the thread AUTOMATICALLY nevertheless. You can see it when you select <Threaded mode>. DON'T ever press <New reply> - it's just evil.

d:-/
01-14-2015, 05:25 PM
(01-14-2015 05:21 PM)walter b Wrote:  DON'T ever press <New reply> - it's just evil.

Sometimes it is. When the conversation stays on topic and you aren't referring to any specific comment hitting <New Reply> is just fine.

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-14-2015, 06:07 PM
I do not understand what is wrong. I took Tim`s post from internet. This problem came into question in the year one on the Russian forum "HP-39GII - калькулятор нового поколения".
01-14-2015, 06:46 PM
(01-14-2015 05:25 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  
(01-14-2015 05:21 PM)walter b Wrote:  DON'T ever press <New reply> - it's just evil.

Sometimes it is. When the conversation stays on topic and you aren't referring to any specific comment hitting <New Reply> is just fine.

Then you respond to the first post in the thread - <New Reply> simply isn't required at all - all you need is <Quote>.

d:-)
01-14-2015, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 07:55 PM by Han.)
Actually, "New reply" makes a lot more sense than quoting the most recent reply since it reduces the clutter from quoting the previous reply. Imagine if everyone quoted the previous post. Most of the thread would be cluttered with redundant info. The same goes for quoting the first post (less redundancy, but redundant nevertheless). It's also more work to click back to the first page in order to find the first post and quote it. If we are reading the very last post, it's faster to just do a new reply so long as the post continues with the discussion and isn't addressing a particular response.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
01-14-2015, 08:42 PM
(01-14-2015 05:21 PM)walter b Wrote:  If you want to respond to a particular post, PLEASE go to that post and press the button <Quote>.
If you want to discuss something completely different, PLEASE go up one level, choose the right subforum and press the button <NEW THREAD>.

Big Grin
01-14-2015, 09:51 PM
Nobody forces you to keep the text of the post you respond to. The button is labeled <Quote> (since it copies the old text - but you can delete that easily) though it would be better called <Respond>.

It's just the forum SW will only file your response properly if you use <Quote>, while <New reply> puts your response at the end of the thread regardless of the post you responded to. By pressing <Quote> on the first post, you reach the same as <New reply> - hence <New reply> can be discarded.

d:-I
01-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Walter, I am replying to your post #31 and I got here via New Reply. You would have had me do a Quote and delete the text I didn't want; that's more work. I agree with Katie, New Reply is useful.
01-15-2015, 08:22 PM
(01-15-2015 07:34 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Walter, I am replying to your post #31 and I got here via New Reply.

If you view the messages in the thread in Threaded Mode vs Linear Mode you'll see that you responded to the original post, not Walter's post #31.

I believe what Walter is saying is that NEW REPLY is redundant as the same thing can be accomplished by quoting the first post and then deleting all the text. While this may not be as convenient as NEW REPLY it helps to maintain the threaded structure.

So, you actually supported Walter's argument. Smile

Now what is the green plus sign between Quote and Report for?

Dave
01-15-2015, 08:50 PM
(01-15-2015 07:34 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Now what is the green plus sign between Quote and Report for?

It marks a post to be automatically quoted in the next reply.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
01-15-2015, 09:06 PM
(01-15-2015 08:50 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  
(01-15-2015 07:34 PM)It was really Dave, not Don, that Wrote:  Now what is the green plus sign between Quote and Report for?

It marks a post to be automatically quoted in the next reply.

So it's possible to quote multiple posts, even in different threads, in a single reply. Thank you Marcus.

I suppose now is a good time to remind people that when editing a quote one should Preview it before posting to avoid mistakes like the one above.

Dave
01-15-2015, 09:27 PM
(01-15-2015 09:06 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I suppose now is a good time to remind people that when editing a quote one should Preview it before posting to avoid mistakes like the one above.

I suppose it's also a good time to remind people (not you, Dave) to check their texts before posting to ease the life of readers - it's sometimes hard to guess what the author has meant when (s)he wrote what (s)he wrote. Ooh, even corrective editing is allowed (and appreciated)!

01-15-2015, 10:13 PM
Ok Walter, now you have successfully hijacked this thread, formerly known as HP-39GII: Will it become a desired collectible?

:/

Oh and yes, I used New Reply.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-15-2015, 11:04 PM
(01-15-2015 08:22 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(01-15-2015 07:34 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Walter, I am replying to your post #31 and I got here via New Reply.

If you view the messages in the thread in Threaded Mode vs Linear Mode you'll see that you responded to the original post, not Walter's post #31.

I believe what Walter is saying is that NEW REPLY is redundant as the same thing can be accomplished by quoting the first post and then deleting all the text. While this may not be as convenient as NEW REPLY it helps to maintain the threaded structure.

So, you actually supported Walter's argument. Smile

Now what is the green plus sign between Quote and Report for?

Dave

Well, I only use linear mode and my post was right under Walter's. That's good enough for me.
01-16-2015, 03:16 AM
(01-15-2015 11:04 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Well, I only use linear mode and my post was right under Walter's. That's good enough for me.

Please look here. It was explained there comprehensively IMHO.

01-16-2015, 03:29 AM
(01-15-2015 10:13 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Ok Walter, now you have successfully hijacked this thread, formerly known as HP-39GII: Will it become a desired collectible?

Sorry for that - it all started with post #24. You could see that in threaded mode easily as far as people replied properly.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)