Sugdestion for the next firmware update.
12-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Sugdestion for the next firmware update.
I think it would be nice and helpful to have first 4-5 lines after program name to show up in help menu under heading for example "User Functions" or something like that similarly to Matlab when you search function name i command window. That would help to see what the function in HP Prime does and what arguments it takes especially when you did not use that function for a long time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2014, 04:22 PM
RE: Sugdestion for the next firmware update.
I am not quite understanding you here. Where are you thinking to display this information? Do you mean "allow user created programs to appear in the help menu?" or something similar?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
12-04-2014, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 05:38 PM by John P.)
(12-04-2014 04:22 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  I am not quite understanding you here. Where are you thinking to display this information? Do you mean "allow user created programs to appear in the help menu?" or something similar?

When you press "Toolbox" key and then you get the soft menu. I was thinking in "User" catalog. The names are already there and pressing the "Help" key would show short description what the prgm. does, what are the inputs and output etc. or whatever you write in the the first 4-6 line after the program's name , similar as with the build in functions.
12-04-2014, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 05:35 PM by Han.)
(12-04-2014 05:20 PM)John P Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 04:22 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  I am not quite understanding you here. Where are you thinking to display this information? Do you mean "allow user created programs to appear in the help menu?" or something similar?

When you press "Toolbox" key and then you get the soft menu. I was thinking in "User" catalog. The names are already there and adding long press would show short description what the prgm. does, what are the inputs and output etc.. The short description would be taken from the first 4-6 lines in the user prgm.

Or perhaps when the user highlights the program name, perhaps pressing the [Help] key or [Shift][Apps] (for Info) can display the information. Within the program source, using #info or #help as declaratives could be a way to pass information to such help/info screens.

Using the [Help] key would be a natural extension of the built-in help for the built-in commands.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
12-04-2014, 05:41 PM
(12-04-2014 05:34 PM)Han Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 05:20 PM)John P Wrote:  When you press "Toolbox" key and then you get the soft menu. I was thinking in "User" catalog. The names are already there and adding long press would show short description what the prgm. does, what are the inputs and output etc.. The short description would be taken from the first 4-6 lines in the user prgm.

Or perhaps when the user highlights the program name, perhaps pressing the [Help] key or [Shift][Apps] (for Info) can display the information. Within the program source, using #info or #help as declaratives could be a way to pass information to such help/info screens.

Using the [Help] key would be a natural extension of the built-in help for the built-in commands.

I updated my post that comes to the same idea you wrote about about. Thanks.
12-05-2014, 12:15 AM
(12-04-2014 05:34 PM)Han Wrote:  Or perhaps when the user highlights the program name, perhaps pressing the [Help] key or [Shift][Apps] (for Info) can display the information. Within the program source, using #info or #help as declaratives could be a way to pass information to such help/info screens.

Excellent idea! Minimal impact to the system Help, lets authors insert meaningful info, while folks that ignore declaratives don't get help but all still works. Limits on content size should be validated at compile time.

Its nice when good ideas like this emerge and evolve with ideas from dif. users.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)