ACT available
04-09-2016, 12:36 AM
RE: ACT available
(04-08-2016 08:28 PM)Harald Wrote:  Really? It is an e34 5 series BMW. A 518i touring only though, as it is the family car Smile
At least the same type! It is an e36 3 series BMW. A 318i touring only though, as it is the family car.

(04-08-2016 08:28 PM)Harald Wrote:  ... So the copper foil is supposed to keep noise from the ACT away from the GPS module?
Yes.

(04-08-2016 08:28 PM)Harald Wrote:  Thanks, I am. The motorway was reasonably empty and I was only going 156,3 km/h ;-)
Where did you find an empty motorway? I need to have a woodstock GPS ride with my motorcycle. Smile

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2016, 12:20 PM
Hi Bernhard,

no news on the GPS reception so far. I can't tell the difference between how I installed the module at first and the other way round now. I placed the copper foil between the ACT and the module. Did you also ground that? Maybe that would make a difference.

I have flashed the "new" version 107 of the hp25eGPS file. That resulted in an incorrect keyboard mapping. I guess you are now assuming to have an HP25 hardware. Maybe I should swap the hardware - the missing characters in the display driver didn't bother me too much though.

Cheers,
Harald
04-15-2016, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2016 08:29 PM by PANAMATIK.)
(04-15-2016 12:20 PM)Harald Wrote:  Hi Bernhard,

no news on the GPS reception so far. I can't tell the difference between how I installed the module at first and the other way round now. I placed the copper foil between the ACT and the module. Did you also ground that? Maybe that would make a difference.

I have flashed the "new" version 107 of the hp25eGPS file. That resulted in an incorrect keyboard mapping. I guess you are now assuming to have an HP25 hardware. Maybe I should swap the hardware - the missing characters in the display driver didn't bother me too much though.

Cheers,
Harald

Hi Harald,

Thanks for the feedback. I still collect experiences for the GPS module. I made some measurements today with my GPS HP-25E (HP-25C hardware, see image below), No copper foil used.

Clear blue sky, sunny day, 15:15 to 15:20 UTC (17:15 Uhr MEZ) some clouds, half moon visible, calculator held in left hand, stopwatch in right hand.

From Roof top 100% sky visibility:

Cold Start:
after 50 sec indicating 3 satellites, after 1 Min 10 sec GPS valid with 4 satellites (later 7-8).
Warm start (switched calculator off and on again):
after 11 s GPS valid.

From Garden, approx. 30% sky visibility:
Cold Start:
after 1 min 50 sec 3 satellites, after 1 Min 52 sec GPS valid 4 satellites
Warm start:
after 11 s GPS valid.
Warm start when switched off 30 minutes
after 10 sec one satellite, 20 sec two satellites 28 sec 3 satellites, 42 sec GPS valid

I got feedback from another HP-25E GPS user, who reports also very fast Cold Start times. He additionally uses the copper foil (not grounded). I couldn't comapre directly and don't know for sure, whether the copper foil really increases the sensibility.

If you get 5 minutes Cold Start TTFF, when having clear visibility, then you should find the reason by repositioning your module somehow or find some electrical reason. You should make some experiments to get more sensibility.

Perhaps you can post a picture of your placement?

Keyboard:

The GPS version is intended for HP-25 hardware, therefore I didn't test any other hardware. But normally it should work except for showing different digits in the display. If the keyboard mapping is wrong, then your HP-21 hardware was not detected correctly. The HP-25E reads the external ROM at startup and if HP-21 ROM code is found, the keyboard mapping is adjusted.

Bernhard

Added:
20:15 UTC, Warm Start (after 4 hours switched off) from garden, same position as in the afternoon 30% sky visibility, clear sky, many stars visible (Arcturus in the south) after 30 sec 1 satellite, 3 min 2 satellites 4min 3 satellites, but got no fix until 8 Minutes when I stopped measurement.
20:25 UTC Warm start, moved my location 5 meters away from the house, approx 50% sky visibility, and got GPS data valid after 40 seconds.
The TTFF (Time to first fix) obviously depends highly on the satellite constellation and percentage of sky visibility.

04-17-2016, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2016 09:47 AM by Harald.)
(04-15-2016 03:59 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Hi Harald,

Thanks for the feedback. I still collect experiences for the GPS module. I made some measurements today with my GPS HP-25E (HP-25C hardware, see image below), No copper foil used.

Clear blue sky, sunny day, 15:15 to 15:20 UTC (17:15 Uhr MEZ) some clouds, half moon visible, calculator held in left hand, stopwatch in right hand.

From Roof top 100% sky visibility:

Cold Start:
after 50 sec indicating 3 satellites, after 1 Min 10 sec GPS valid with 4 satellites (later 7-8).
Warm start (switched calculator off and on again):
after 11 s GPS valid.

From Garden, approx. 30% sky visibility:
Cold Start:
after 1 min 50 sec 3 satellites, after 1 Min 52 sec GPS valid 4 satellites
Warm start:
after 11 s GPS valid.
Warm start when switched off 30 minutes
after 10 sec one satellite, 20 sec two satellites 28 sec 3 satellites, 42 sec GPS valid

I got feedback from another HP-25E GPS user, who reports also very fast Cold Start times. He additionally uses the copper foil (not grounded). I couldn't comapre directly and don't know for sure, whether the copper foil really increases the sensibility.
Thanks for all that information. I will try and take a couple of notes of my observations as well.

(04-15-2016 03:59 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  If you get 5 minutes Cold Start TTFF, when having clear visibility, then you should find the reason by repositioning your module somehow or find some electrical reason. You should make some experiments to get more sensibility.

Perhaps you can post a picture of your placement?
I'll take a picture on Monday. And also will try different positions of the GPS module.

(04-15-2016 03:59 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Keyboard:

The GPS version is intended for HP-25 hardware, therefore I didn't test any other hardware. But normally it should work except for showing different digits in the display. If the keyboard mapping is wrong, then your HP-21 hardware was not detected correctly. The HP-25E reads the external ROM at startup and if HP-21 ROM code is found, the keyboard mapping is adjusted.
Yes, I know. And it used to work with the "old" V107. But with the "new" V107 it stopped working. I guess by fixing the startup bug you unintentionally dropped that functionality.
04-17-2016, 03:08 PM
(04-17-2016 09:45 AM)Harald Wrote:  
(04-15-2016 03:59 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Keyboard:

Yes, I know. And it used to work with the "old" V107. But with the "new" V107 it stopped working. I guess by fixing the startup bug you unintentionally dropped that functionality.

I released GPS Version V108 and I tested it with HP-21/HP25/HP29 hardware. The key mapping for HP-21 is correct now.

Bernhard

04-18-2016, 09:43 AM
(04-17-2016 03:08 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  
(04-17-2016 09:45 AM)Harald Wrote:  Yes, I know. And it used to work with the "old" V107. But with the "new" V107 it stopped working. I guess by fixing the startup bug you unintentionally dropped that functionality.

I released GPS Version V108 and I tested it with HP-21/HP25/HP29 hardware. The key mapping for HP-21 is correct now.

Bernhard

Hi Bernhard,

thanks for the update!
I had a similar problem again. No keys at all would register.
Then I tried NOT checking the "keep program" and "keep memory" boxes. Now it works!

Sorry for not trying this earlier.

Cheers,
Harald
05-05-2016, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2016 07:45 PM by Harald.)
After a bit of playing with my HP25GPS I have come to the conclusion, that reception is mainly dependent on how clear the sky is and wether you are outside, in the car or even inside the house (it is not too bad directly under the roof though!)
It is probably slightly better if the GPS module is installed like Bernhard suggests in his manual - with the antenna facing the calculator PCB. But there is no big difference when it is the other way round. I have the feeling that shielding with copper foil very slightly reduces reception. What drastically reduces it however is when the copper foil accidentally gets connected to the wrong signal by an act pin poking through the insulation layer.

Finally a picture of the HP25GPS on holiday Smile
[Image: 25-gpsluuuq.jpg]

Thanks again for all the work you have done on the ACT Bernhard!!

Cheers,
Harald
05-05-2016, 08:20 PM
Very nice beach. Could you read the LED display in the sun?
Smile
Bernhard

05-05-2016, 10:43 PM
(05-05-2016 08:20 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Very nice beach. Could you read the LED display in the sun?
Smile
Bernhard

Readability is ok if you turn away from the sun.
The position on the beach is very acurat. I had a look on google maps and the coordinates are correct within a meter or two. Not bad for a 40 year old calculator :-)
05-06-2016, 02:17 AM
(05-05-2016 10:43 PM)Harald Wrote:  The position on the beach is very acurat. I had a look on google maps and the coordinates are correct within a meter or two. Not bad for a 40 year old calculator :-)

You were the first individual, who got a longitude west of greenwich displayed on a HP-25 GPS. Congratulations! Still no person got a latitude of the southern hemisphere displayed.

Bernhard

05-06-2016, 07:11 AM
(05-06-2016 02:17 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  You were the first individual, who got a longitude west of greenwich displayed on a HP-25 GPS. Congratulations!
Really? Are there no users west of Greenwich yet? I would have thought Geoff would have been one of the first to get an HP25GPS.

(05-06-2016 02:17 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Still no person got a latitude of the southern hemisphere displayed.

That might be another job for Geoff ;-)
05-06-2016, 08:13 AM
(05-06-2016 07:11 AM)Harald Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 02:17 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  You were the first individual, who got a longitude west of greenwich displayed on a HP-25 GPS. Congratulations!
Really? Are there no users west of Greenwich yet? I would have thought Geoff would have been one of the first to get an HP25GPS.

(05-06-2016 02:17 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Still no person got a latitude of the southern hemisphere displayed.

That might be another job for Geoff ;-)

Geoff received the GPS kit only some days ago, so you were faster. But he will surely be the first for the southern hemisphere... Except you have planned another holidays Smile

Bernhard

05-19-2016, 10:21 PM
HP-67 ACT Version 1.03 released

The previous ACT version for the HP-67 calculator was not able to communicate with the PIK chip, and as an unpleasant consequence it couldn't read the PRGM/RUN switch and had to use the f -> g, g -> f sequence as a workaround to switch between the two modes. Until now!

Now the new version 1.03 can do it! And some minor bugs in stopwatch display, hex entry mode, and welcome string entry, were also removed. Smile

The reason for the PRGM/RUN problem was a missing signal: The PIK has a "chip enable" signal and it has to be set to high level by the ACT with pin 19. Pin 19 was previously unused. You have to connect a wire from the pad right of pin 8 to pin 19 as shown in the image below (if you order an ACT for HP-67 this will be already done of course).

[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_ROHZ3Mkpqc1NuMk0] new ACT (green 22-pin) and PIK chip (black 28 pin)

For reading the PRGM/RUN switch there is a special instruction designed, called "test crc flag 1" 0300. If this instruction is read on the ISA line, the PIK chip will output the actual switch position at the next instruction cycle for 310 us on pin 27, which is connected to pin 4 of the ACT (in HP-25 the PRGM/RUN switch is directly connected to pin 4 and could be read any time). The firmware now must read pin 4 at the cycle, following the "test crc_flag 1" instruction. Then it must set the status flag s 3 to the level of the PRGM/RUN switch, which will be tested by the next instrutions of the firmware.

A problem arises when the ACT is running in FAST mode (R/S key at power up). In this case all instructions are read from internal ROM and no addresses and instructions are output to the ISA line, consequently the PIK chip doesn't do anything. I solved the problem by adding extra instruction cycles whenever a PIK relevant instruction is encountered, performing them in SLOW mode. All other instructions are perfomed fast. Interestingly the calculator runs now at about double speed in this mode, but PAUSE instructions need about the same time as the original calculator, because they contain PIK instructions in the inner loop, which is a not unpleasant side effect.

It needed a lot of hours with try and error to find these insights.

Two HC-67E Versions 1.03 are ready for download in actupdate.zip. One of them with infrared printing capability.

After having established the ACT-PIK hardware communication, now there should be not too many steps left towards the card reader functionality. It is proven now, that principally the new ACT hardware can read from (and possibly write to) the PIK chip, which is the interface to the card reader. Only some many more hours of research are necessary. Wink

Bernhard

05-20-2016, 11:09 AM
(05-19-2016 10:21 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  HP-67 ACT Version 1.03 released

The previous ACT version for the HP-67 calculator was not able to communicate with the PIK chip, and as an unpleasant consequence it couldn't read the PRGM/RUN switch and had to use the f -> g, g -> f sequence as a workaround to switch between the two modes. Until now!

Now the new version 1.03 can do it! And some minor bugs in stopwatch display, hex entry mode, and welcome string entry, were also removed. Smile

The reason for the PRGM/RUN problem was a missing signal: The PIK has a "chip enable" signal and it has to be set to high level by the ACT with pin 19. Pin 19 was previously unused. You have to connect a wire from the pad right of pin 8 to pin 19 as shown in the image below (if you order an ACT for HP-67 this will be already done of course).

[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_ROHZ3Mkpqc1NuMk0] new ACT (green 22-pin) and PIK chip (black 28 pin)

For reading the PRGM/RUN switch there is a special instruction designed, called "test crc flag 1" 0300. If this instruction is read on the ISA line, the PIK chip will output the actual switch position at the next instruction cycle for 310 us on pin 27, which is connected to pin 4 of the ACT (in HP-25 the PRGM/RUN switch is directly connected to pin 4 and could be read any time). The firmware now must read pin 4 at the cycle, following the "test crc_flag 1" instruction. Then it must set the status flag s 3 to the level of the PRGM/RUN switch, which will be tested by the next instrutions of the firmware.

A problem arises when the ACT is running in FAST mode (R/S key at power up). In this case all instructions are read from internal ROM and no addresses and instructions are output to the ISA line, consequently the PIK chip doesn't do anything. I solved the problem by adding extra instruction cycles whenever a PIK relevant instruction is encountered, performing them in SLOW mode. All other instructions are perfomed fast. Interestingly the calculator runs now at about double speed in this mode, but PAUSE instructions need about the same time as the original calculator, because they contain PIK instructions in the inner loop, which is a not unpleasant side effect.

It needed a lot of hours with try and error to find these insights.

Two HC-67E Versions 1.03 are ready for download in actupdate.zip. One of them with infrared printing capability.

After having established the ACT-PIK hardware communication, now there should be not too many steps left towards the card reader functionality. It is proven now, that principally the new ACT hardware can read from (and possibly write to) the PIK chip, which is the interface to the card reader. Only some many more hours of research are necessary. Wink

Bernhard

I continue to be amazed by your achievements! I wonder how you find the time to do some "real work" :-)

But anyhow this sounds very promissing. I can see an HP19C ACT version on the horizon Smile

Cheers,
Harald
05-20-2016, 12:08 PM
(05-20-2016 11:09 AM)Harald Wrote:  But anyhow this sounds very promissing. I can see an HP19C ACT version on the horizon Smile

Cheers,
Harald

I can't see the HP-19C ACT version on the horizon, but it is now less deep below the horizon. Smile

Bernhard

05-20-2016, 12:21 PM
HP-01 ACT version 1.00 released

Finally it is done! An ACT version emulating the famous HP-01 wristwatch on a woodstock calculator is available for download to everyone. It is a GPS version, which gives you the possibility to read and display the always accurate UTC time from the GPS satellites and show it whenever you press the T (Time) button. If you don't have a GPS module installed, you have to set the time after each power up. Also a stopwatch calibration procedure is implemented.

Read the HP-01 QuickGuide for getting an idea of the keyboard assigments and additional functions.

HP-01 Quick Guide

Now you can explore all functions of the famous HP-01 watch and calculator without owning a real one. Of course, you can explore it as well, if you are a lucky person and own a real HP-01. Smile

Have fun!

Bernhard

05-20-2016, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2016 08:19 PM by Harald.)
(05-20-2016 12:21 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  HP-01 ACT version 1.00 released

Finally it is done! An ACT version emulating the famous HP-01 wristwatch on a woodstock calculator is available for download to everyone. It is a GPS version, which gives you the possibility to read and display the always accurate UTC time from the GPS satellites and show it whenever you press the T (Time) button. If you don't have a GPS module installed, you have to set the time after each power up. Also a stopwatch calibration procedure is implemented.

Read the HP-01 QuickGuide for getting an idea of the keyboard assigments and additional functions.

HP-01 Quick Guide

Now you can explore all functions of the famous HP-01 watch and calculator without owning a real one. Of course, you can explore it as well, if you are a lucky person and own a real HP-01. Smile

Have fun!

Bernhard

Luckily I installed a connector for the update cable in my 25 gps. I'll be using it later today :-)

Thanks for the update!

Edit: Firmware downloaded and flashed - now to dig through the museum CDs and find an HP01 manual Smile
05-20-2016, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2016 09:51 PM by PANAMATIK.)
(05-20-2016 05:17 PM)Harald Wrote:  Luckily I installed a connector for the update cable in my 25 gps. I'll be using it later today :-)

Thanks for the update!

Edit: Firmware downloaded and flashed - now to dig through the museum CDs and find an HP01 manual Smile

Hi Harald

Did you find the manual? I have the museum DVD set and it contains the HP-01 manual. This lets hope, that you will try every function and find every possible bug.

Don't use the switch function between HP-01 and HP-25 with f PRGM/RUN. It does not work yet. But you can switch at power up with the EEX key instead.

Bernhard

05-20-2016, 10:24 PM
(05-20-2016 09:51 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  
(05-20-2016 05:17 PM)Harald Wrote:  Luckily I installed a connector for the update cable in my 25 gps. I'll be using it later today :-)

Thanks for the update!

Hi Harald

Did you find the manual? I have the museum DVD set and it contains the HP-01 manual. This lets hope, that you will try every function and find every possible bug.

Don't use the switch function between HP-01 and HP-25 with f PRGM/RUN. It does not work yet. But you can switch at power up with the EEX key instead.

Bernhard

Sorry, so far I have not had a look for the manual. I was busy playing with my second 19C:
[Image: 19cdotrou0k.jpg]

But I will do my best to find any bugs Smile I can't use the switch anyway - I haven't changed to an HP25 hardware, it is still the HP21 PCB

Harald
05-20-2016, 10:45 PM
(05-20-2016 10:24 PM)Harald Wrote:  Sorry, so far I have not had a look for the manual. I was busy playing with my second 19C:

How did you get your initials into the decimal point of a 40 year old calculator? Wink

(05-20-2016 10:24 PM)Harald Wrote:  But I will do my best to find any bugs Smile I can't use the switch anyway - I haven't changed to an HP25 hardware, it is still the HP21 PCB

You can switch between HP-01 and HP-21 with EEX button then - and with the RAD/DEG slider hopefully in the next version.

Bernhard

User(s) browsing this thread: 14 Guest(s)